Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I have real concerns that this Motherwell team could even compete in the Championship if (when) we got relegated.

This side is fundamentally soft as shite and as such they'll struggle whatever league they're in.

Our options are:

1) spend money now and try to stay up.

2) spend money to try to get promoted.

3) settle for two-three seasons down and hope the current 16-17-year-olds develop into a promotion side.

Hammell isn’t it. Thanks for trying but the board made a mistake, back to the academy please. 

He may have been better with any experience next to him, but nah. Not got a clue and hamstrung by a shit squad. 

We are in deep deep trouble. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.

I’m not a knee jerker by any means and I wanted Hammy to succeed more than anyone who’s ever got the job.

A rigid sticking to a leaky back 4 and not at least trying 5 to stem the flow seems the first logical step to me. When you have two below average central defenders you make up for it with numbers.

Losing by an odd goal probably has countenanced the perseverance in these lineups.

If the sacrifice made elsewhere to accommodate it is Connor Shields then that has a net positive result at either end of the park.

This is the same team that ran Aberdeen ragged at Pittodrie and managed to turn a Scotland starter to 3rd choice right back. That has to be looked at too.

I would be surprised if manager shopping is not back front and centre with centre half and striker.

Stepping back into his academy role by Feb will be the best solution all round. 

Edited by Kapowzer

4 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.

I wanted Hammy to succeed more than anyone who’s ever got the job but a rigid sticking to a leaky back 4 and not at least trying 5 to stem the flow seems the first logical step to me. Probably not tried because a lot of the time it’s been losing by a single goal.

This is the same team that ran Aberdeen ragged at Pittodrie and managed to turn a Scotland starter to 3rd choice right back. That has to be looked at too.

I would be surprised if manager shopping is not back front and centre with centre half and striker.

Stepping back into his academy role by Feb may be the best solution all round. 

Agree completely. The alternative of finding - even gambling with - some other combo in midfield to protect the chronic defence hasn't bee tried either.

That said, he'll argue hitting the bar four times in the last two games is a difference...and Penney suddenly shipping at least two goals today, if not three, is firmly in the 'what can I do about that?!?' category.

The worse we perform in this run of fixtures, the less appealing we are to any potential half decent targets before the window closes. Who the f**k would willingly opt to come into this car crash if they had any other remotely attractive options open to them? 

Another narrow defeat by one goal. Another game we could have taken something from. Another game we concede soft as shit goals.

It is like groundhog day.

Tierney and McKinstry did more in a few minutes than Spittal and Shields did in the match. Both should be starting next week. McKinstry definitely in place of Shields. 

I had a feeling we would find a way to lose to Hibs. Our record against them is just not that good. As shite as they have been they still have a very good striker in Nisbet and an arsehole of a defender in Porteous but one who would have coped better with all 3 goals we lost today. 

Next week is HUGE. Lose and we will finish bottom 2 - NAP.

4 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

The worse we perform in this run of fixtures, the less appealing we are to any potential half decent targets before the window closes. Who the f**k would willingly opt to come into this car crash if they had any other remotely attractive options open to them? 

Any contracts we offer are going to have demotion release clause or wage reduction Del.

Attractive as f**k.

Think we might want to just give Johnstone, Tierney, and Cornelius a run of games. It will at least make me hate the team less.  Might as well chuck Miller in too. 

Maybe it will be easier to ship a few of the higher paid ones out now they see where things are going, they don't seem like the type to drag us out of this. 

This is as soft a motherwell team as I've seen. The "oh well, what can you do" attitude from half the team after that third was shocking.

15 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

This is as soft a motherwell team as I've seen. The "oh well, what can you do" attitude from half the team after that third was shocking.

In the bothy at work for my break and my updates were via BBC website. Scrolled back at H/T to the start of the feed to get an idea of how the half had panned out, and at the first goal Craigan was pointing out how soft goals were our achilles heel and after it went in there was literally no response from our players. No shouting, no responsibility being taken. Nothing.

We are rudderless and simply drifting into the deepest  trouble we've been in since the play-off season. Difference being, there were at least some characters in that squad who kept faint hope alive. Not this fucking mob.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

If the team is announced next week and it's that same 433 shite I am not getting off the couch.

McKinstry had better start for Shields. If Connor starts there will be a riot. 

Where is Blaney ? Is he really no better than Sol or Lamie. If so what was the fkin point.