Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Allan campbell not even in the squad for Luton tonight, and no sign of him injured. Luton fans seem puzzled and reckon he will be off.

I know he is probably well out of our price range now, but how good would it be to get  the wee man back on a season long loan? If you dont ask, you dont get! 😆😆😆

37 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Allan campbell not even in the squad for Luton tonight, and no sign of him injured. Luton fans seem puzzled and reckon he will be off.

From my limited following of his progression since he left, it seemed to me he started really well but became less used towards the end of last season. 

Perhaps he's viewed as not quite Premier League level, rather a solid mid-table Championship midfielder, which is still a very lucrative place to be and by my own reckoning, probably about right for the wee man. Love him to bits but think Premier League regular might just be a wee bit of a stretch.

48 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Did wonder with Ramadani away if he'd end up at Aberdeen.

Probably out of their budget range on wages, but if he wants to get back in the Scotland squad, 6 European group stage games would do the world of good on that front.

I follow a Luton fan account on Twitter, and based of their replies, Campbells not fancied by their new (hired last November) manager, who wants to move away from a high intensity pressing game and try and become more possession based. Campbells apparently seen as a poor fit for the new style.

On 22/08/2023 at 20:06, Captain_Sensible said:

Celebrating 39 years of consecutive top flight football is a bit rich when that’s been achieved by financial doping, not paying your bills, league reconstruction, lobbying other clubs  to stop the First Division Champions being promoted and avoiding administration points penalties.

Frankly, I’d be ashamed if it were my club. 

Drummer totals his drum, Louise plays bearfoot, in her pijamas, and, crucially, not a mobile phone in sight.....

22 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Probably out of their budget range on wages, but if he wants to get back in the Scotland squad, 6 European group stage games would do the world of good on that front.

I was thinking more Celtic or Rangers if he was to end up here, as opposed to anyone. 

There was also a few championship clubs supporters hoping they would get him.

Shite for him if he never gets to set foot on the park in the Barclays but having watched Luton a couple of times since they've been promoted it looks like it's going to be an entirely grim season of getting leathered week in week out.

Anyway I noticed a post this evening on Luton's (terribly formatted) forum suggesting he was away to Leeds.

Also...

8 minutes ago, Ken Ickie said:

Drummer totals his drum, Louise plays bearfoot, in her pijamas, and, crucially, not a mobile phone in sight.....

Fucking tune.

HT to the Marie avi btw.

Edited by capt_oats

I’ve got a few Luton supporting mates. According to them the manager has a  thing that all players have to be 6ft plus. Wee Al doesn’t fit the bill physically. They are honest enough to state he isn’t good enough for the EPL but neither is half their squad. 

He is well out the picture which has frustrated a few of them. Hopefully he gets a good move.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

It’s not just the wages though eh?

He’s still under contract and I’d imagine he’d be an attractive pick-up for plenty of Championship level clubs.

I’d be surprised if Luton were just going to give him away like.

To that point…we’ve a sell on as part of our deal with Luton right?

21 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’ve got a few Luton supporting mates. According to them the manager has a  thing that all players have to be 6ft plus. Wee Al doesn’t fit the bill physically. They are honest enough to state he isn’t good enough for the EPL but neither is half their squad. 

He is well out the picture which has frustrated a few of them. Hopefully he gets a good move.

...Ketts?

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

I wonder if as well as not fitting their new manager's style if they would be due us a bung if he plays in the EPL?

In a similar thought, if this were to be the case (and it's clearly speculative) they'd not owe us anything either.

Screenshot2023-08-29at23_02_21.thumb.png.7c1a839d862ed986d2abc988a50dd970.png

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

I wonder if as well as not fitting their new manager's style if they would be due us a bung if he plays in the EPL?

Valid point Swello. I guess it all depends on the wording assuming there is even a promotion type clause. 

It could say if he plays in the Premiership or if Luton are promoted to the Premiership or indeed neither. 

Having seen a fair bit of Luton' s season last year, it's clear Edwards has a very different approach and doesn't value Campbell. Big drop off in game time after he took over. It seems to be a playing style thing rather than personal.

The mad thing to me is that a pressing midfielder, a Kante-type disruptor, is what they have been crying out for in the first two games. They are not going to have the chance to play a possession game against EPL opposition with their resources. Campbell is superbly suited to that pressing role, but instead he'd rather have Tahith Chong and Barkley stroll about ball watching it would seem. I'm obviously biased but it's a weird one as an outsider looking in.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/edwards-admits-hatters-midfielder-campbell-could-leave-luton-during-transfer-window-4272866

“Asked if the Scottish international had missed the game due to injury, the Town chief said: “Al’s alright, it was just a bit of a selection one to be honest, it felt like what we needed on the bench.

“We absolutely love him, he deserves to play football as well, because he’s the best professional.

“It’s probably a little bit difficult for him to get that game time, so it’s something that we’re looking at, at the moment with him.

“He deserves to play. We love him to bits here as well, so if he’s here, brilliant.”