Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I wasn’t at the away game in Levante, but went to Valencia for a football weekend in 2019 (cracking city btw). 
The ‘Well are a big deal with a Levante because I’m pretty sure we were their first ever European opponents. They were still selling half and half scarves and other wee bits of memorabilia from that game (key rings etc), and when some of the Levante fans found out some of us  were Motherwell fans they were keen for a wee chat about the games and wanted some photos. Good lads. 

Starting to p1ss me off now. Wonder what the script is or was. Unless that Alan Nixon is full of BS something must have broken down at some point. Too much noise for there not to have been some truth in our pursuit etc.

Another random striker incoming no doubt from league two or National league. All we can afford obviously 😩. All very exciting 💤 

Edited by welldaft

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Don't get me wrong. I'd take anyone right now but a 36 year old Steven Fletch with no preseason behind him wasn't filling me with promise.

I will reserve judgement until I see who we end up signing. Fletcher is a known entity. Very experienced and one of the very few players to get a pass from United fans for their desperate season. Played most of the games and always thought he was a presence in games v us. 

Maybe our pursuit was short and sweet. Maybe it was almost over the line and something cropped up for him or for us. We are unlikely to find out. Maybe the fact we are in desperate need for someone who can play in the next couple of weeks may have counted against him. Who knows. 

We shall find out soon enough who is joining..

Edited by welldaft

I know nothing of what Fletcher has been up to but at 36 it's not wise missing a preseason.

It's September (basically) not late July, why hasn't he got a club?

I had doubts when he was linked with us earlier but at this point I have major doubts. Anyone who does sign with us get my full backing but an old man (f**k me 36 is old??) who hasn't been through a traditional preseason type environment signing for us in September isn't who I'd be looking at.

Happy to eat my words when he signs and is fit as f**k and brilliant.

Fletcher deal was just about done - definitely truth in it. We wanted to offer 6 months, we thought he was taking it as of the weekend. Pushing for a longer deal / more cash for the short term stint. Fair to say both parties keen to see if anything else happens before Friday night

Edited by eliphas

18 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Maybe the fact we are in desperate need for someone who can play in the next couple of weeks may have counted against him. Who knows. 

We shall find out soon enough who is joining..

Did wonder about this. 36 year old who hasn't played since May and not been training with a club since then either. Would need time to get fit again and that's time we don't have 

Edited by camer0n_mcd
Spelling

43 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Don't get me wrong. I'd take anyone right now but a 36 year old Steven Fletcher with no preseason behind him wasn't filling me with promise.

See, I'm into Fletcher. Definitely.

Based on what he was doing with United last season he pretty much plays the role we're after but the question mark for me was/is, as you say, the fact he has no pre-season behind him unless you count doing some sessions with Charlie Mulgrew.

The fact that we're almost into September and he hasn't signed for anyone feels weird anaw.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

I do t really know who O.I Shaw is, did he play with someone else up here, is he any good, what will his injury be?

He played with Hibs, Kilmarnock, Ross County amongst others.

He's one of "Europe's best young players" (Leeann Dempster, 2019)

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm quite happy with Shaw. His goal record isn't amazing anywhere but equally he's never been a totally failure either. He's always struck me as a decent finisher which 3- maybe 4- of our current strikers... aren't. 

To me, we need 2 strikers in the door anyway so when Shaw was mentioned last week along with Fletcher it seemed...fine? as the other guy.

I mean, I wouldn't be expecting him to turn our season round or anything but equally, given where we are, with 3 of our 4 strikers maimed it's a pretty limited market we're shopping in.

On 26/08/2023 at 14:12, dezz said:

Apparently we’re leading the race for ‘one of Europe’s best young strikers’… [Leanne Dempster, 2019). 

The first time I’ve ever been ‘ITK’! Class.  Might start a Patreon. 

I would be perfectly happy with Oli Shaw. At least I/we know who he is. Played for Ketts at Ross County which is where any connection would be. 

Barnsley also paid a fee to Kilmarnock for him if I recall.  His goalscoring record is OK. Had a purple patch for Killie in the Championship. Scored almost 1 goal in every 2 games (played almost 30 games). Albeit at a lower level than the top flight.