Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

While I think he's definitely got something about him, it is worth noting that ratio drops quite dramatically when looking at Premiership goals, taking him to 16 in 87.

Is he a better footballer than Bair? Probably. As a stop gap, we could do worse, but I'd temper expectations, tbh. The only time he's been faintly prolific was in the Championship.

He can’t play as a solo striker, and doesn’t assist (or score) enough for a struggling team.  He can run and win headers a lot though.  All his previous teams have been rubbish, but Motherwell are quite good, so he might do okay. 

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He can’t play as a solo striker, and doesn’t assist (or score) enough for a struggling team.  He can run and win headers a lot though.  All his previous teams have been rubbish, but Motherwell are quite good, so he might do okay. 

That was broadly my impression, so appreciate that. 

He won't play through the middle on his own, he'll have a foil to play off. While his time in the championship was a lower level, obviously, he also played alongside a big b*****d in Lafferty, which probably helped on the deficiencies that you highlight.

Big Carebair will look after him. 

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

That was broadly my impression, so appreciate that. 

He won't play through the middle on his own, he'll have a foil to play off. While his time in the championship was a lower level, obviously, he also played alongside a big b*****d in Lafferty, which probably helped on the deficiencies that you highlight.

Big Carebair will look after him. 

Feed the Carebair........

😆😆😆

5 of his goals for us in the Championship season were penalties, which inflates his tally a little bit. He looked promising in spells, and I was hoping that he would be one who might make the step up last season, but it didn't happen for him at all.

I've generally always felt he's a bit soft and doesn't really work all that hard to get himself involved in the game. McInnes basically gave up on him last season after he came on wide left with us leading at home to Hearts, missed an absolute sitter of a one-on-one (a specialty for him) and then constantly failed to track his man, before finally giving away a daft free-kick which led to their equaliser.

I have no idea why Barnsley paid us a fee for him, and the fact that we accepted it even though it left us with basically one striker for the second half of the season probably says it all.

He has the ability to do well, and maybe it will click, but I reckon the most likely outcome is Dunfermline on loan on the final day of the January window.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Would be interesting- though maybe not useful- to see what Barnsley fans think of him given they seemed to really like Aitchison.

He barely played, which made the signing all the weirder.

This isn't a criticism but it feels like we're singing a lot more known(ish) quantities recently. It's probably because we focused pretty exclusively on the English lower league market from McCall through to Robinson but it's a bit weird seeing guys like Spittal,McGinn, Shaw, Obika, Butcher rock up- folk who have actually been to Fir Park dozens of times before signing. 

20 hours ago, eliphas said:

Fletcher deal was just about done - definitely truth in it. We wanted to offer 6 months, we thought he was taking it as of the weekend. Pushing for a longer deal / more cash for the short term stint. Fair to say both parties keen to see if anything else happens before Friday night

I think you’re going to have to be the new Chairman Flao on deadline tomorrow mate. I for one appreciate the wee snippets of information. 

Edited by Gianfranco

Can't say I was massively exciting when we were linked with Shaw, but we need strikers and I don't imagine we'll be paying a huge amount at a time when the budget will be low. 

Hopefully he'll turn out to be One of the best young strikers in Europe™ while we have him on loan. 

I mean, I could understand the underwhelmed shouts if we'd brought Shaw in with the idea that he was/is one of our main targets but he's clearly not. We've brought him in because 3 of our 4 strikers are injured to varying degrees and we're looking at him as a serviceable option to bail us out.

That's not to say anyone should be kidding themselves on but I can really only echo @Casagolda's post a couple of pages back:

8 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Like I’m not sure what folk were expecting to be left kicking about in the last days of the window, willing to come to Motherwell for Ricki Lamie’s wages but I reckon this is about the best we could probably hope for in the current circumstances. 

Ideally it's going to be Shaw +1 other striker with a similar profile to Fletcher - if so then...fine.

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This isn't a criticism but it feels like we're singing a lot more known(ish) quantities recently. It's probably because we focused pretty exclusively on the English lower league market from McCall through to Robinson but it's a bit weird seeing guys like Spittal,McGinn, Shaw, Obika, Butcher rock up- folk who have actually been to Fir Park dozens of times before signing. 

Im just here saying that if youre sitting bottom by the end of the season with Callum Butcher, Blair Spittal, Theo Bair and Oli Shaw playing regularly, there wont be a lot of people hugely surprised.

Does feel like you lot are kind of sleep walking into a poor season because, as stupid as this sounds, things have gone so well under Kettlewell. Likely miles out as usual but it feels like your squads gone backwards as the approach is "have a year out and rebuild later" instead of "we desperately need to improve a poor squad", and you might get caught cold once the poor results eventually appear.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im just here saying that if youre sitting bottom by the end of the season with Callum Butcher, Blair Spittal, Theo Bair and Oli Shaw playing regularly, there wont be a lot of people hugely surprised.

Does feel like you lot are kind of sleep walking into a poor season because, as stupid as this sounds, things have gone so well under Kettlewell. Likely miles out as usual but it feels like your squads gone backwards as the approach is "have a year out and rebuild later" instead of "we desperately need to improve a poor squad", and you might get caught cold once the poor results eventually appear.

Butcher and Spittal are good players at this level and mostly always have been. They also have a solid defence and an absolute star in midfield. I think there is almost no chance of Motherwell being anywhere near the bottom two. Bottom six, quite possibly, but it'll be 9th at worst.