Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dunno. Your squad just seem smelly to me in terms of 2/3 injuries and its utterly gubbed, combined with not being able to change shape and a manager whos got history of struggling to get out a rut.

I am not having smelly, and as for changing shape, how about a right centre back overlapping simultaneously with a left centre back slaloming through the box and scoring?  Inside out football we call it.  The Dutch called it Total.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Everywhere, really. Its as much about the depth you've lost as anything.

As much as Lamie wasn't rated you seem to be a number down in there now. Lamies shit but hes literally better than nothing. Wing backs is an obvious downgrade on both sides in quality from the start which means less quality in reserve. Midfield you've lost Goss plus a handful of average players and again haven't really replaced them, to the point you look like you'll be heavily reliant on a 16yo performing. You've got no wingers so can't change shape, while up front I can't see any striker scoring regularly while van Veen seemed to drag results out last season.

I dunno. Your squad just seem smelly to me in terms of 2/3 injuries and its utterly gubbed, combined with not being able to change shape and a manager whos got history of struggling to get out a rut.

*a 17 year old that allows our midfield to be more balanced with a North Macedonian internationalist as a back up.  

We literally went into last weeks game against Killie with injuries to our 3 main strikers.  Oh and we changed shape... IN GAME 

But apart from that - good stuff.  

Random fella's spreadsheet must be telling him Butcher & Spittal were shite four years ago, playing for a different club.

We must be in trouble.

Imagine a St. Johnstone fan (a fucking St. Johnstone fan!!) telling us our squad looks a little iffy :lol:

What's the predictions for incomings/outgoings today then, if any?

I'd like to see a LWB, another forward, and if I'm being greedy maybe a #10-type back up for Spittal. All of that would probably require a couple of outgoings, but the only real candidates are Efford and McGinley, and I doubt there's a queue around the block looking to take them off our hands so it might only be one in.  

4 minutes ago, dezz said:

What's the predictions for incomings/outgoings today then, if any?  

Zero in.  Possibly one out.  The guy who likes to park on Fir Park Street and livestream the pizza delivery guy dropping scran off is in for a boring evening.

13 hours ago, Swello said:

AS others have said, Butcher was genuinely a season saver for us - and a back 3 of McGinn, Casey and Butcher will be every bit as effective as any of the clubs around us (and a lot better than some).

I think all of those players are individually decent but it's an old back line when you have McGinn (33 soon), Butcher (also 33 this season and coming back from a serious injury), and then you throw in O'Donnell (32 before the end of the season) and Souare (33 currently with a history of injuries).

We might get away with it this season, maybe, but at the very latest the back line is going to need major reconstructive surgery for 24/25.

We don't want to go down the Hibs route of failing to replace old puffers every season and conceding a catastrophic amount of goals.

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On cue...

Never believe what managers say. Ever.

So a massive signing bonanza with multiple ins and outs. Boy in his motor in Fir Park Street to have filled the memory card on his mid 2010's smartphone by 7pm.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Random fella's spreadsheet must be telling him Butcher & Spittal were shite four years ago, playing for a different club.

We must be in trouble.

Imagine a St. Johnstone fan (a fucking St. Johnstone fan!!) telling us our squad looks a little iffy :lol:

I mean, its just an opinion ive admitted is based entirely on vibes, i really wouldn't take it that personally. 

Ive already admitted theres a chance we're effectively relegated before the split.

I hope Efford moves on. Clearly now surplus to requirements and his cameo on Saturday suggests he knows it and / or his heart is not in it. Shame as I though he had potential. But there appears to be a lack of application as Ketts has alluded too in a roundabout way. Definitely a decent player in there and if he moves on he could do another club (St Johnstone) a turn no doubt. 

Suspect it would be one more in assuming no more go out the door. Fair enough. Makes for a boring day but budgets are budgets ! 

Looks like we will be stuck with McGinley unless we come to a mutual agreement. He has always seemed like a decent lad, but it has been for one reason or another a waste of a contract sadly. It happens…..

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think it will be a midfielder for cover. Anyone thinking itll be a defender? Maybe we need a poll.

I think, if it is to be one in today, we'll get a wing back in.  I imagine we'll then get another forward in next week from the free agent market.

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

I think, if it is to be one in today, we'll get a wing back in.  I imagine we'll then get another forward in next week from the free agent market.

Yep - if it really is one in, It has to be a left wing back. Soare doesn't have the feel of a 1st choice player and I'm pretty sure Spencer is there to replace O'Donnell.

I might be wrong but getting a forward in the post-window market would be a hell of a lot easier/more likely than a fast wing back of the Johnston/Furlong/Spencer profile that we need for our system.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I might be wrong but getting a forward in the post-window market would be a hell of a lot easier/more likely than a fast wing back of the Johnston/Furlong/Spencer profile that we need for our system.

Agree completely.

There will be all kind of solid pros available next week, chances are the young whippet we're after to run the line will be a teenager under contract.