Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Has Halliday done something proper bad that I've missed? I always thought he was just a generic *** but I've never really had any issue with him other than that.

Seems okay to me and I hate most of they fuckers.   He will do a very good job for Motherwell imo. 

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Has Halliday done something proper bad that I've missed? I always thought he was just a generic *** but I've never really had any issue with him other than that.

Generic *** is bad enough for me tbh.

I do think he will do fine for us though, and I'm fickle, so I will 100% cheer him.

Edited by eliphas

13 minutes ago, SteelyDosser said:

Did he score against us or something?

It actually feels like he's scored quite a few against us at Tynecastle (or it feels like I've sat through a lot of them)

I'd be fine with us signing him - feels like a lower risk January signing than English League 2 supermarket sweep.

50 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd be fine with us signing him - feels like a lower risk January signing than English League 2 supermarket sweep.

I always find being linked with players like this very amusing...the same fans who complain about the lower league shopping plans are often also against the sort of established pros who are actually viable for us.

I appreciate Rangers and Hearts weren't exactly at the top of their game when he was there but the notion a guy who has played 200 times for those clubs, reached finals, won derbies etc won't do a decent job for us for 6-18 months seems some stretch.

And when you consider that our current midfield options are Spittal, a 17-year-old coming back from injury and a waif just finding his feet in the team, an experienced cynical b*****d like Halliday is just what we're after.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I used to have a severe disliking to him because he seems like a complete generic *** ned and the way he came across on the park backed that up. In all honesty, from hearing him on Opengoal/Clyde I don't really mind him as much as I used to. His football knowledge is probably better than most journalists which admittedly isn't that hard. Feel like I've missed something the way people are going on though..

In terms of as a signing, seems good to me, covers CM and full back. I was surprised he didn't get more game time for Hearts. Any time I seen him last year he looked good and has good expererience of the league which should be beneficial.

Happy with Montgomery as well, usually looked pretty impressive when I seen him so seems like a no brainer to me. Hopefully we can now fill some of the other positons we are needing. I'd like to see more people in before the St Johnstone game but it will no doubt go to the wire as usual!

Edited by Luke92

9 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Sloth was here for the barbers and Johansen was handsome but fucking shite at football.

Mika absolutely hard carrying my opinions of Scandinavian players we sign.

Marios Klimpl would like a word.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It actually feels like he's scored quite a few against us at Tynecastle (or it feels like I've sat through a lot of them)

Think he scored a double against us a season or two ago.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye, I mean, he isn'y Boab Malcolm. 

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

Marios Klimpl would like a word.

It's been a while since standard grade geography but is he no from Slovakia?

I've no strong opinions on Halliday tbh. He's generally alright to listen to on Super Scoreboard and I'd probably rather have someone known to get us to the end of the season rather than Daws cooking up some other fucking mental signing that gets injured or looks like they've won a competition. 

Edited by well fan for life

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I always find being linked with players like this very amusing...the same fans who complain about the lower league shopping plans are often also against the sort of established pros who are actually viable for us.

I appreciate Rangers and Hearts weren't exactly at the top of their game when he was there but the notion a guy who has played 200 times for those clubs, reached finals, won derbies etc won't do a decent job for us for 6-18 months seems some stretch.

And when you consider that our current midfield options are Spittal, a 17-year-old coming back from injury and a waif just finding his feet in the team, an experienced cynical b*****d like Halliday is just what we're after.

100% this ^

My only concern is that I seem to recall he struggled with the odd injury. Maybe that is a misperception, but hopefully he will be up to speed as I assume he has been training FT with the Jambos.

13 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Feeling an increasing wave of un-enthusiasm washing over me these days.

I’m starting to think fitba just isn’t for me anymore more and more. 

If you think that's bad some of us had a Well Society Board meeting last night, after a Monday at work, that lasted just shy of four hours. 😩

No matter anyone's views on the Society, let it not be said that all your representatives aren't losing the will to live on a regular basis in an effort to try & make fan-ownership flourish at Fir Park... 😂

Edited by JayMFC

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Im surprised at the hate too. Obviously being a Rangers fan puts him straight in the c**t category, but that could be said about a huge number of Scottish players who have allegiances to one of those two. 

He’s clearly knowledgable, articulate and I think generally comes across well when I hear him speak. In the grand scheme of c***s, he’s fairly low on my list. 

I’ve probably slaughtered Daws as much as anyone but in fairness I think one of the main reasons our recruitment seems wild now is he’s working with his 3rd manager in as many years.  

I think these set-ups work better when there’s a strong relationship between the manager and his role. Foyle and Robinson for example seem to work hand in glove and you can see the benefits of a stable “type” of player that they know to look for.

Daws probably had that with GA, for example I’m sure I remember seeing one of the main reasons behind Sol and Ojala signing were that the numbers showed them as being strong in winning duels within the penalty box etc which is an attribute that suited the way we played under him (love it or loathe it). 

The whole thing looks a lot less joined up now and there’s probably a strong case for Daws leaving when the rest of that group did, however I’m sure there’s financial reasons why that never happened. 

5 minutes ago, Reidy said:

The whole thing looks a lot less joined up now and there’s probably a strong case for Daws leaving when the rest of that group did, however I’m sure there’s financial reasons why that never happened. 

Presumably we'd either have had to pay him off up front or stick him on gardening leave for the rest of his contract. That would have been alongside us paying 3 managers & 3 assistants all at the same time.