Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

My memories of seeing Halliday is that he's quite good at scoring from late runs from midfield but not much of a midfield presence. Could be quite tidy with Spittal and Miller/Paton but we'd need Davor or Butcher to be doing a lot of donkey work behind them. 

37 minutes ago, Nature Boy said:

Halliday is a perfectly good replacement signing for an injured Slattery. I find the reaction to it a bit baffling. Should we just gamble on another English lower league jobber on loan instead?

He isn’t a replacement signing in anyway shape or form. Two completely different styles of player. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Aye.

I've kind of talked myself round on the Halliday signing. It's a low bar but not being Bob Malcolm is a start I guess - clear that and we can work from there.

The Open Goal-ness of it all is more a me problem than an Andy Halliday problem but no one's asking me to go for a pint with him or his idiots by association.

Oh aye, there is a fair line between a self-confessed Rangers fan and someone who literally signs autographs with "FTP".

I think fans get too caught up in their perceived personalities of players. 

Scott McDonald immediately springs to mind with that. He was an asbolutely instrumental player for us in both spells at the club, but probably isn't revered enough for what he done on the pitch because people thought he spoke too much about Celtic, came across as a moody wee p***k or distanced himself from Helicopter Sunday at any available opportunity.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

At this point Main would come in as third choice for me. He is a decent option to have. It goes:

Mika

The Bair

Main

Obika

Any of the children we have on the bench.

Playing with 10 men.

Folding as a club.

Shaw.

Disappointed with how far up the pecking order you have put Shaw tbh 😔

1 hour ago, Nature Boy said:

Halliday is a perfectly good replacement signing for an injured Slattery. I find the reaction to it a bit baffling. Should we just gamble on another English lower league jobber on loan instead?

I dislike us signing former Celtic players as well if that helps any?

It's 100% irrational....but based on 40 years of living in the west of Scotland wishing both arse cheeks and all those associated would just leave us alone.

That said, as I said before, I'm entirely fickle and will applaud Halliday when he does well for us. Also Tommy Coyne and Willie Falconer were my favourite players. So there ye go. Fickle.

Edited by eliphas

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'd also be more than happy with Main. For all his limitations as a player he'd almost certainly offer more than Obika, Shaw and (possibly) Wilkinson have this season. His goal to make it 3-0 in the Scottish Cup semi final against Aberdeen is also one of my favourite moments supporting Motherwell. 

Depends on who Main plays with. He'd be good fodder for Mika I reckon, we have all seen what Arsenal are like in the past though.

I'm not gonna bother trying to justify Halliday's possible signing, I don't think he's very good and he's not a direct replacement for the role Slattery was playing. 
(I'll happily be wrong about all of that)

How the mighty have fallen.

Being honest, fair play to the guy, he’s turned the most purple of purple patches into a 5 year deal at Rangers and (providing he’s not been silly) will likely be set for life off the back of half a dozen performances.

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

Being honest, fair play to the guy, he’s turned the most purple of purple patches into a 5 year deal at Rangers and (providing he’s not been silly) will likely be set for life off the back of half a dozen performances.

I find it a bit mental hes only 24.

5 minutes ago, dezz said:

I hope he finds somewhere that he can thrive, he looked a harmless big daft laddie and I felt bad about laughing up at Perth when the ‘you’re just a shite David Turnbull’ shout started while he warmed up.

15 minutes ago, dezz said:

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I find it a bit mental hes only 24.

What a time though...he's 19 here.

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I felt bad about laughing up at Perth when the ‘you’re just a shite David Turnbull’ shout started while he warmed up.

Wouldn't feel that bad, the lad made a small fortune from six month's work. 

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

What a time though...he's 19 here.

Campbell and Ally Gorrin sitting behind Gboly, Turnbull and Hastie, with Main throwing folk about up top. What a time to be alive.
A very fun 6 months…probably the last time it was fun watching us tbh. 

17 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Jake Hastie lol. 

I remember he destroyed St Mirren in a midweek game at ours. His unfortunate fall from grace since then , should be a lesson to every youngster tempted by signing for any of the arse cheeks !

27 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Jake Hastie lol. 

A hill that I will absolutely die on is that he was badly managed by Gerrard and Robinson.

Firstly Gerrard binning him off out on loan like a month after signing him then that loan spell he had with us where Robinson kept playing him as an inverted winger despite it being clear he'd been found out and was crushing every fibre of confidence from his soul.

Fucking hell.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, dezz said:

Campbell and Ally Gorrin sitting behind Gboly, Turnbull and Hastie, with Main throwing folk about up top. What a time to be alive.
A very fun 6 months…probably the last time it was fun watching us tbh. 

Get Main in now, hijack the Hastie deal and use the Swift money on the other four in the summer.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A hill that I will absolutely die on is that he was badly managed by Gerrard and Robinson.

All light joking aside, I do agree with this. Showed he had something at one point for us, probably left too soon but for the money most folk would have done that, was a shadow of himself when he came back on loan.