Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Tommy Coyne was the classiest striker we have had in my time as a fan of the club. Genuinely oozed quality in abundance.

Ojamma, Arnott, Moult, KVV and Higdon in their spells were unplayble. But for general skill, technique, ability the Cobra was a level above. 

Clarkson when he first broke through as a 17 year old an absolute joy to watch and Faddy well was just Faddy. 

Big Lukas J was probably my favourite loan signing as a striker. You could tell he would have a good career. Porter was another class act but injuries curtailed him progressing to a higher level I think.

We haven’t half been lucky in that department in my lifespan as a fan. Got to watch some absolutely class acts. 

Edited by wellboy1991

1 hour ago, dezz said:

For me, Scott McDonald is the main reason we haven’t spent any time in the Championship. Probably our most ‘valuable’ player in my time watching us. 

We’ve generally done really well with strikers over the last 15 years; KVV, Watt, Moult, Sutton, Higdon, McDonald, Murphy, Porter, Faddy all amongst the best in the league during their time with us. Might be C&A tinted specs but I can’t think of any of our peer clubs that have had the same sort of run with prolific strikers. Time for Theo to add his name to the list! 

I agree wholeheartedly with that, working within a limited player pool and budget we have managed to unearth and identify some real gems.

I like to think as a club we have and continue to provide the right environment and support, which is conducive for players with the right attitude and talent to realise their potential ..... 

Edited by Eliphas Pettigrew

1 hour ago, Swello said:

image.png.4fd8b3684a0fb3195242ea2e3a125eae.png

That picture was from a game against Celtic on the 3rd December 1994 at Hampden where we came back from 2 goals down. James Traynor visited my school a few years later and gave everyone freebies, being the only Well fan I ended up with a stash of motherwell images and one was a big A3 of almost that same image but sub Andy Roddie is in. 

The goal he's celebrating was sublime, dinking it over Bonnar from the edge of the six yard box. 

What a player he was, it was a real shame niggling injuries hammered his latter years. 

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I only saw Tommy Coyne towards the end of his time with us and I was just a young child, but he was my first ever hero and made me fall in love with Motherwell and football so he always gets top spot for me.

Coyne was very good when he signed but from August 94 till his injury he was ridiculous (with the exception of 45 minutes in Dortmund which haunt me even now). People always say we could/should have won the league in 94 because they do the sums from the last three games, even though we lost it at Ibrox in March. Where we definitely could have won it was 95 - Rangers were riddled with injury, Celtic and Hearts shite, United and Aberdeen collapsed. A shit winter, Coyne's injury and McLeish/Woods killed... McLean staying one more season an signing a proper GK would have seen us win it - if we're playing hypotheticals where nothing else changed.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I'm a Coyne Stan - he's above everyone and I also can't look past Dougie either as he scored scored so many important goals (and got right up the OF whenever he felt like it)

Away from those 2, I would put Higdon, Moult and McDonald on the 2nd step and Sutton, KVV and maybe Porter on the 3rd. 

image.png.876619f5cdebbeb269b0203ff999ba50.png

:wub:

I think for those of us of a certain age these two are definitely a level above everyone else. They worked so well as a partnership too with Dougie doing most of the donkey work which allowed TC to showcase his talents.

I dont know if my memory is playing tricks on me but in the days before the internet, I only remember seeing we had signed Coyne on the scottish news about an hour before the game. 

I always loved going to the midweek games with the floodlights on but I seem to remember I was extra excited knowing we had signed Coyne that day. 

Alongside Davie Cooper, Coyne was definitely in Tommy Mclean's top two signings

15 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

That picture was from a game against Celtic on the 3rd December 1994 at Hampden where we came back from 2 goals down. James Traynor visited my school a few years later and gave everyone freebies, being the only Well fan I ended up with a stash of motherwell images and one was a big A3 of almost that same image but sub Andy Roddie is in. 

The goal he's celebrating was sublime, dinking it over Bonnar from the edge of the six yard box. 

What a player he was, it was a real shame niggling injuries hammered his latter years. 

I was at that game and that chip is one of my favourite Motherwell goals. Like Louis Moult but from 6 yards. Pretty sure Willie Falconer scored a screamer for Celtic in that game

8 minutes ago, weemac said:

I think for those of us of a certain age these two are definitely a level above everyone else. They worked so well as a partnership too with Dougie doing most of the donkey work which allowed TC to showcase his talents.

I dont know if my memory is playing tricks on me but in the days before the internet, I only remember seeing we had signed Coyne on the scottish news about an hour before the game. 

I always loved going to the midweek games with the floodlights on but I seem to remember I was extra excited knowing we had signed Coyne that day. 

Alongside Davie Cooper, Coyne was definitely in Tommy Mclean's top two signings

Think Coyne is the only player to be leading goalscorer in top scottish league with three different clubs.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm a Coyne Stan - he's above everyone and I also can't look past Dougie either as he scored scored so many important goals (and got right up the OF whenever he felt like it)

Away from those 2, I would put Higdon, Moult and McDonald on the 2nd step and Sutton, KVV and maybe Porter on the 3rd. 

image.png.876619f5cdebbeb269b0203ff999ba50.png

:wub:

I'm with you on that. He's just that level above everyone else and I'd have Dougie below him.

Coyne is probably the only person I'd actually be starstruck if I ever met him.

On 01/02/2024 at 23:55, well fan for life said:

Poor guy plagued by these flare ups of fitness.

Reminds me of Leeds' Lucas Radebe tampon: in for a week, out for three weeks.....

3 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Clear push on the defender before the goal ?

Nah. Tbh that's the sort of goal where if you've been defending well you just shrug and say it happens. In our case losing yet another set piece, especially when we'd started ok for once, is highly annoying.