Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

There was a point around 65 minutes when I thought we were looking leggy and Killie had 10 minutes when the tide was turned. Tbf we did settle again but an earlier change could have kept our momentum going and maybe created a chance...I can understand why, when everything is still so fragile, SK is reluctant to switch things but there's no doubt we need to take a little more calculated risk.

Agreed. Plus, at the time I thought Miller not getting more time on the pitch was kinda baffling. On reflection, it probably made sense to not push him too much today so that he can make a proper contribution on Tuesday vs Ross County. 

1 hour ago, Killiefan said:

Brilliant, rewind a few days ago and you were creaming yourselves about him coming back, then he goes somewhere else and you’re relieved. Screams of “ I was going to chuck her anyway “

He doesn't look anywhere near match fit and hopefully he gets there soon or that could be an expensive mistake for Killie. Good luck to him but glad he's moved on 

51 minutes ago, CoF said:

Agreed. Plus, at the time I thought Miller not getting more time on the pitch was kinda baffling. On reflection, it probably made sense to not push him too much today so that he can make a proper contribution on Tuesday vs Ross County. 

Just back from injury might be a factor 

4 minutes ago, Wellin said:

He doesn't look anywhere near match fit and hopefully he gets there soon or that could be an expensive mistake for Killie. Good luck to him but glad he's moved on 

As explained by McInnes the expensive thing isn’t a real thing. 

7 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

Surely you don't believe things that football managers say.

10 minutes ago, Killiefan said:

I don't believe that tbh. Sorry. Well known that he was on a decent wage at Groningen. 

Edited by Wellin

Just now, Swello said:

Surely you don't believe things that football managers say.

Also, McInnes didn't actually say that he wasn't expensive - in fact he says that the club "supported" the effort to get him. What he said was that they matched St Mirren's offer but didn't throw extra money at it - which isn't saying they're not paying over the odds.

“Obviously we weren’t the only show in town trying to sign him. It became clear it was between us and St Mirren. We had to go every step of the way with them. It’s two clubs that are a similar size with similar ambitions, we were in a fight. Thankfully the club supported us on it and it got to the point both clubs agreed a deal and it was down to Kevin.

“I need to quash the rumour or the narrative that we threw loads of extra money at it. We never. And that’s a fact. We matched St Mirren’s offer to the extent that Groningen left it up to him. Thankfully Kevin chose us, we’d have been gutted if he had chosen elsewhere after the conversations and effort we put in."

Link

The grin from Bevis after being 'fouled' when Kennedy supposedly knocked him over from behind was highly amusing as well.

I know these things are always given but really...why do refs not just stop giving fouls for this nonsense?

9 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Bevis scaring the shit out of Kennedy to run the ball out of play is only marginally shaded by McGinn running 20 yards to absolutely cement Kennedy as well for basically no reason. Up out my seat cheering that. 

That basically got a cheer as loud as the goal - lovely stuff.

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The grin from Bevis after being 'fouled' when Kennedy supposedly knocked him over from behind was highly amusing as well.

I know these things are always given but really...why do refs not just stop giving fouls for this nonsense?

He stared a hole right through Kennedy at the same time, it was class. Bevis is the right combination of being a total unit and dangerously clumsy, no wonder Kennedy shat it.

I thought Armstrong was going have Gents number when he muscled him off the ball early in the match, but he picked up defensively after that.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Sorry, why exactly have Morton won 5-0 at Dunfermline today?

Aye - that's going to be a really hard cup tie against them on Friday - quite a few days coming up

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Also, McInnes didn't actually say that he wasn't expensive - in fact he says that the club "supported" the effort to get him. What he said was that they matched St Mirren's offer but didn't throw extra money at it - which isn't saying they're not paying over the odds.

Get over it, remember you’re glad you didn’t sign him. 

3 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

That’s now the recent draws v Killie, St Mirren, Hibs and St Johnstone we were very unlucky in!

I dunno if I'd go as far as unlucky in the last two. The better team, yes, but you can see for all the effort that the players don't really believe we're going to make the chances we need. Which is not unfair because we don't. If you pick the XI we did, partly through choice, partly through necessity, I don't think you can complain much.

This isn't a major criticism btw and given where we were becoming more solid is an obvious first step. It just can't be the last...

We'd absolutely kill for a clean sheet Tuesday...if only.

Clean sheet. What is that ?

To be fair we defended quite well today. It is just unbelievable how many times we concede a goal from the opponents first attempt on target. To the point it is almost bizarre. St Johnstone, Alloa and Kilmarnock today. 

Was pleasantly surprised by how we played today. Made a Killie side with all the plaudits look bang average.

Theo Bair is quite something. From 4th choice striker to 1st choice and deservedly so. He was a handful today.

Also thought Paton was quite good today apart from his finishing. Also Davor. I was critical of him v Alloa but was impressed today. Will see if he can keep his place given the January recruitment. But he was very decent.