Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Killiefan said:

Get over it, remember you’re glad you didn’t sign him. 

Im glad we didn't sign him too as much as I like big Kev. Killie are fourth in the table. It would make sense if you were struggling but you aren't. Just looks like it might be an expensive signing for very little reason 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Clean sheet. What is that ?

To be fair we defended quite well today. It is just unbelievable how many times we concede a goal from the opponents first attempt on target. To the point it is almost bizarre. St Johnstone, Alloa and Kilmarnock today. 

Was pleasantly surprised by how we played today. Made a Killie side with all the plaudits look bang average.

Theo Bair is quite something. From 4th choice striker to 1st choice and deservedly so. He was a handful today.

Also thought Paton was quite good today apart from his finishing. Also Davor. I was critical of him v Alloa but was impressed today. Will see if he can keep his place given the January recruitment. But he was very decent.

Davor has been solid in a few games lately 

On 17/01/2024 at 21:42, AnderooMFC said:

My maw's an Arsenal fan but if they take Mika off us I might give serious consideration to smashing her Arsenal gnome

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

The gnome survives, but did get an expression of our collective feelings!
PS : The M'Well gnome behind may be called either Cooper or Coyne, unsure which.

20240121_201204.jpg

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Sorry, why exactly have Morton won 5-0 at Dunfermline today?

The margin of our victory merely reflects the margin of superiority we hold over replacement level, lower Championship/seaside league dross at this stage of the season. Other than dealing with James McPake as an opposition manager, it was in no way a freak scoreline. 

Top flight opposition will be a different matter entirely. Having the advantage of a free midweek would make Morton marginal favourites in my biased judgment, but it really should be a great cup tie. 

I had a complete brain fart when I saw the Morton result yesterday. Thought to myself how us beating them in the cup the other week is looking like a very decent result given their run in the league. 

Took me longer than it should have to remember that it was Alloa that we beat and we've still to play Morton.

Heard from a usually very reliable source yesterday our offer for KVV topped out at 2.5k pw. Killie paying 5k pw and being funded straight from Bowie. We'd enquired early in the window and been told it was on if other deals didn't work out - basically got gazumped at the end.

It's not absolutely wild wild money in the grand scheme of football to be fair.  

13 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I dunno if I'd go as far as unlucky in the last two. The better team, yes, but you can see for all the effort that the players don't really believe we're going to make the chances we need. Which is not unfair because we don't. If you pick the XI we did, partly through choice, partly through necessity, I don't think you can complain much.

This isn't a major criticism btw and given where we were becoming more solid is an obvious first step. It just can't be the last...

We'd absolutely kill for a clean sheet Tuesday...if only.

Agree with most of this.

Nothing sums us up at the minute like Killie having one shot on target yesterday and it’s their centre back cracking one in off the post on the volley from 20 yards out…

A few months ago though, we looked a complete shambles and were shipping at least 2 or 3 goals a game. If you look at us just now for the most part, we actually look like a functioning unit. Which is a big improvement. In our last 8 matches, we’ve only lost more than a single goal twice- to Rangers and that last minute equaliser to Hibs. We’ve coughed up very few chances in a lot of those games but just can’t seem to keep the clean sheet required to win them.   

So slowly, we do seem to be going in the right direction and definitely look more difficult to beat. As a result though, we can often look quite workmanlike and there’s not a lot of creativity or guile in the final third. I agree it’s felt these last two games like we were hoping for a late winner rather than genuinely believing we would grab it. 

Tuesday is massive, a win puts us 6 clear of County in the play-off spot. Given our next 5 league games include going away to Hearts, Rangers, Aberdeen and a home game against Celtic you feel it’s a chance we have to take. 

Edited by Casagolda

Kettlewell on Free Agency:

Kettlewell will now assess the free transfer options available to him, as he looks to steer his 10th-placed side clear of the relegation zone.

“We’ll analyse that and see if there’s a situation that could help our group and strengthen our group,” he added.

“As it sits just now, there’s nothing to tell – we’re always trying be pro-active contrary to sometimes what people think.

“We’re always looking to see if we can bring in anybody that improves our squad, if the answer to that is no then fine.

“Whether that comes down to money, whether that comes down to willingness to play at this football club – the one thing I’ll say to you is that every single player that is sat there as part of my group moving forward wants to be here and play here.”

Link

He's quite open that we were in for KVV in that article so I suppose it's a question of were we just in for him because it was KVV or he thinks we definitely need another striker (his opinion may be different to many others).

I assume the fact we've signed half the fullbacks in Europe means this isn't considered a longterm solution but I think Mugabe at RWB and SOD at RCB actually suits both players pretty well. Killie looked absolutely terrified whenever Bevis charged forward, and if he's still going to have "Bevis" moments then it's probably preferable they happen slightly further away from our goal if possible. We've never really seen the swashbuckling wingback version of SOD that we were probably expecting but as a a neat and tidy defender he's totally fine.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I assume the fact we've signed half the fullbacks in Europe means this isn't considered a longterm solution but I think Mugabe at RWB and SOD at RCB actually suits both players pretty well. Killie looked absolutely terrified whenever Bevis charged forward, and if he's still going to have "Bevis" moments then it's probably preferable they happen slightly further away from our goal if possible. We've never really seen the swashbuckling wingback version of SOD that we were probably expecting but as a a neat and tidy defender he's totally fine.

Agree I doubt it's intended to be a longterm solution but if it works then I can see us rolling with it.

My read on the signing of the fullbacks thing is quite simply to give us options/alternatives given how reliant we are on them and especially if Gent is being viewed as an option further up the park and SOD and McGinn are thought of as centre backs. I thought it was interesting to read that Buyabu was described in the spiel the club put out as "predominantly a full-back but can operate further forward".

He's described on his Wiki as being a wing back which is unusually specific. The few clips I was able to find on YouTube, much like Gent he looks like he's effectively playing as a winger.

Either way it was slightly more reassuring to look at our bench yesterday and it not resemble a creche.

51 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Heard from a usually very reliable source yesterday our offer for KVV topped out at 2.5k pw. Killie paying 5k pw and being funded straight from Bowie. We'd enquired early in the window and been told it was on if other deals didn't work out - basically got gazumped at the end.

If true, our offer seems pretty paltry, but £5k seems too much. 

53 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Tbh, I'm mildly interested to know what the triggers are that will increase the payments that are due on top of that.

Presumably Killie's league placing, qualification for Europe and KVV actually scoring some goals and making appearances?

Screenshot2024-02-04at11_12_33.thumb.png.2f52bb950bfeaa8178af42b748256b5f.png

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I thought it was interesting to read that Buyabu was described in the spiel the club put out as "predominantly a full-back but can operate further forward".

He's described on his Wiki as being a wing back which is unusually specific. The few clips I was able to find on YouTube, much like Gent he looks like he's effectively playing as a winger.

Either way it was slightly more reassuring to look at our bench yesterday and it not resemble a creche.

Here's an Exeter City scouts take on things. Based on two games watched, he concludes Buyabu is much stronger going forward. And he's rapid. 

3 minutes ago, CoF said:

Here's an Exeter City scouts take on things. Based on two games watched, he concludes Buyabu is much stronger going forward. And he's rapid. 

Cheers! That's an interesting read.

"Buyabu is an infectious footballer. Somebody the fans would love and he'd get folk on the edge of their seat. When he has the ball good things happen."

That sounds...familiar.

?type=og-image

You just know all these new signings and ‘infectious’ players will only get some some sub appearances and limit it to 15 mins. We are going to stick with essentially that starting formation and team for the rest of the season aren’t we…. Right. 

Edited by wellboy1991

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cheers! That's an interesting read.

"Buyabu is an infectious footballer. Somebody the fans would love and he'd get folk on the edge of their seat. When he has the ball good things happen."

That sounds...familiar.

?type=og-image

Feel Like Pure Shit Just Want Her Back x | Know Your Meme