Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Various communications have suggested people could increase or restart their contributions but it has always been a soft sell, certainly not a campaign.

I would be interested in knowing how many people are actively contributing to the WS.  Obviously some people may have deposited a lump sum.  Have all members contributed something?

Do we think it is up to the Society or the Club to increase the numbers whether that is membership, season tickets or match day attendance, or do we as a fan base have a responsibility to bang the drum and up the numbers?

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just chucking this in here as it tangentially relevant to some of the whole "competitiveness"/budget discussion but as @RandomGuy. mentions in their thread that's St Johnstone's accounts posted up on Companies House now.

Having had a quick swatch at their accounts they're listing 161 staff compared to our 222.

Similar staff numbers to what I posted about Killie. They didn't seem to include youth/academy for some reason. Maybe same as St.J?

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

Various communications have suggested people could increase or restart their contributions but it has always been a soft sell, certainly not a campaign.

I would be interested in knowing how many people are actively contributing to the WS.  Obviously some people may have deposited a lump sum.  Have all members contributed something?

Do we think it is up to the Society or the Club to increase the numbers whether that is membership, season tickets or match day attendance, or do we as a fan base have a responsibility to bang the drum and up the numbers?

We can play our part, but it's totally up to the club and society. There's low hanging fruit in that respect, but it sounds like the new WS leadership group is on it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Also, I'm very tempted to go see some of the hot takes on Twitter and fb, but I've resisted so far. I'm going to concentrate on learning something hard on guitar this weekend to keep me away.

Edited by rowsdower

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Similar staff numbers to what I posted about Killie. They didn't seem to include youth/academy for some reason. Maybe same as St.J?

Screenshot_20240223_184019_Microsoft365(Office).thumb.jpg.068473f83bf5c6d0e4153288886250e7.jpg

15 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I see @RandomGuy. has already answered.

For a bit of additional context though.

Screenshot2024-02-23at18_46_01.thumb.png.9839b8e83c606f6456a63efa506438f3.png

That's around 10% less than ours in the very spendy Alexander season when we reported 209 staff.

See below.

Screenshot2023-12-20at16_26_16.thumb.png.0c46d3fe13dfc717d53948e5264d2391.png

Edited by capt_oats

Interesting to see the finances confirmed - 750k short in an almost worst case scenario but even small additions quick chip away at that. And of course sometimes we do over perform, we obviously sell players etc.

Edit to add - back of a napkin guesses suggesting we need £2m extra over three years weren't far off. Between the Society, some drive in the club and the expected occasional bonus from the pitch, that's eminently doable. However, given that's jist to stand still... it's hard to shake the feeling that our season for the drop will be coming sooner rather than later (not unreasonable after 40 years etc).

Edited by Handsome_Devil

What has been clear over the chat since Wednesday, there are many tiers of insight and knowledge in this debate at present. Few have the whole picture and those who do cannot share it yet other than to compromise their conduit or position.

X and Facebook being the denizens of the true mouth breathers, SOL then here in terms of constructive discourse. In any information vacuum then many will fill in the gaps with conjecture and theories. What is surprising how many hypotheticals and scenarios are being jumped on those who don't grasp the concept of them as a thing.

The things we do know:

• Come October the club will sit down with an auditor and someone will have to sign off accounts saying that the club will be solvent for the following 18 months. 10th, poor cup runs and no player sales equal a £750,000 operating loss.
  • At present we've had two early cup exits but sitting in 7th and if that continues or improves our starting point is approximately £400k better off (than the -£750k starting point) due to league prize money.
  • What is clear, our most consistent player this season is out of contract and probably on radars and we have a lot of recruitment in an increasingly cutthroat market. We've lost out on over half a dozen at least in both SK windows that building a squad to rise above 10th has risk attached to it. Wage costs are also increasing dramatically.
  • Maintaining our current wage budget will not allow us to tread water, if we wish to enhance our chances then we have to increase revenues across all fronts.
  • A reset and full culture change is needed root and steam between the full support, WS members, club employees, playing staff, board and local business. All this rowing in different directions and silo building has to stop.
  • One interested party asked for exclusivity before committing funds needed to secure a sale. Similar to a house purchase, you don't want anyone else having a viewing when you are on the hook to pay out fees for a survey and solicitor. They wanted to know by Tuesday and were told due to the AGM it was impossible so a 48hr extension was granted which has now passed. I was concerned by the perceived urgency (a common and well known technique to push through a sale) and voiced this on Wednesday, was told it was coincidental.

I feel confident the current WS board should be empowered to throw their hat in the ring, review and throw out the wrong proposals before even approaching the membership in what would be a slam dunk downvote. I have confidence now in that I did not before October that the 9 sitting are much more reflective of the support of all ages and all stands.

A membership vote totalling 18% of those eligible while on paper is worrying is also reflective of a degree of stagnation, poor communication and engagement. Since October it safe to say we're headed in a different direction. Many reading this could give up a portion of the effort composing messages into time to attend (if able) the next workflow meeting and adding something that achieves more than a greendot Oxytocin rush.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Vladimir Weiss was playing for the team Max/Mika bodied last night. I fucking hated him.

Same. I was watching them last weekend when in Bratislava on a stag. Weiss didn’t play which was unfortunate cos the booing from me fuelled by €3 Staropramen in the stadium would have been something to behold. 

3 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Many reading this could give up a portion of the effort composing messages into time to attend (if able) the next workflow meeting and adding something that achieves more than a greendot Oxytocin rush.

I was going to greendot your post but you can forget it now!

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's us confirmed Lamie (again).

Thought the song choice was fantastic tbf and you lads might appreciate:

I mean, he's only signed a pre-contract. He could still back out at the end of the season. :)

Just now, capt_oats said:

I mean, he's only signed a pre-contract. He could still back out at the end of the season. :)

That's what the song choice suggests.

7 minutes ago, dezz said:

Same. I was watching them last weekend when in Bratislava on a stag. Weiss didn’t play which was unfortunate cos the booing from me fuelled by €3 Staropramen in the stadium would have been something to behold. 

Small world, was also there but the €3 staro wasn't going down as easy as the night before.

With how small the crowd was it would've been very easy to hear.

18 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Small world, was also there but the €3 staro wasn't going down as easy as the night before.

With how small the crowd was it would've been very easy to hear.

Haha small world indeed! Was very surprised how poor the crowd was for a team in the knockouts of the Conference League.