Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

31 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aberdeen being decent before we play them is a pain.

This performance today might just be a blip! 😂 

I think they play Dundee midweek and I don’t think Aberdeen have put in several good performances in a row this season so far so here’s hoping! 

10 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I suppose the difference being there was a 6 year gap between Moult and 6 months for Kev.

Moult has shown in the Championship he's still got something and I would have been happy to have had him over Obika this season even without the power of hindsight.

I more mean in the sense that Moult was clearly broken when we re-signed him, by all accounts, Hammell was told this and still decided to do it. Moult had done nothing to suggest he was fit before we signed him again, so you can't really compare it to now when he's done reasonably well in a lower tier. 

Kettlewell clearly didn't think KvV was worth pushing the boat out for, based on the information he had. Good call by the looks of it. 

Sorry I took your point was Kevin would be like a sad shadow of what he was only 6 months before and comparing him to Moult who returned 6 years between.

I compared Moult to Obika, thought it was pretty clear, maybe I'll have to work on that.

2 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Sorry I took your point was Kevin would be like a sad shadow of what he was only 6 months before and comparing him to Moult who returned 6 years between.

I compared Moult to Obika, thought it was pretty clear, maybe I'll have to work on that.

I mean even Moult second time around was probably fitter than Obika's been at any point this season.

As much as I was a bit sad big Kev didn't come back, Vale's been excellent since he came in. He's been pretty much the perfect January window signing for a striker. Immediately scored goals and brought more out of everyone around him.

16 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Just was suggesting at times we have maybe let our hearts rule our heads in terms of signings, Moult being a recent example of that despite all evidence suggesting it probably wasn't a good idea. Glad we didn't make the same mistake with KvV. 

FWIW I thought the re-signing of Obika was bizarre at the time and I'm absolutely baffled by it now. So I see where you're coming from on that one, despite him having never been held in the same regard as Moult or KvV, so maybe folk not having the same expectations etc.

Edited by MurrayWell

I don't think there was every a boat to push out to be fair, once Killie started sniffing around we had no chance. You can't sign a guy on 3x that of your top earners for 6 months.

If Kev was a free agent then you have a chance due to prior association if money on offer is commensurate. As Groningen are trying to salvage as much as possible then the players warm and fuzzy feelings are secondary.

Ketts did hold his hands up on Obika at the AGM. I don't recall how much of an overlap there was with Shaw and Moult going to Dundee. There was a rumour at the time he offered a pay-as-you-play deal too.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Killie have been dreadful mind you, KvV must be ridiculously unfit. 

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

Can you imagine the scenes on here if we were chasing 2 goals and Kev was sat on the bench at the 80th minute on full a Groningen salary.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If you're giving KVV 6k a week and not chucking him on when you need a goal against Aberdeen of all teams there has to be a fall out or a total lack of fitness you'd think 

@Fide Check these odd balls out talking about KVV when he's not playing.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If you're giving KVV 6k a week and not chucking him on when you need a goal against Aberdeen of all teams there has to be a fall out or a total lack of fitness you'd think 

Surely you're not suggesting KVV has taken the huff. Didn't think that was in him 😀

33 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

There was a rumour at the time he offered a pay-as-you-play deal too.

Which is illegal.

7 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Aye well Cormack didn't tap up Flow and Epstein committed suicide apparently

Theres a difference between breaking football rules and literally breaking employment laws.

If you genuinely think you could hire a foreign international and then not pay them a penny for months at a time then you crack on in, but "pay as you play" hasnt existed in reality for about 40 years in professional football.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a difference between breaking football rules and literally breaking employment laws.

If you genuinely think you could hire a foreign international and then not pay them a penny for months at a time then you crack on in, but "pay as you play" hasnt existed in reality for about 40 years in professional football.

I think you're being pedantic here.

It would effectively be a very low basic wage, topped up by a high appearance fee.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No mate, it was tongue in cheek citing a rumour on a football forum didn't really expect anyone to get all HR ancy. As to the details I'm sure you are aware there are ways and means to get around things by being creative.

News to me Moulty had an England cap however.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

7 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

No mate, it was tongue in cheek citing a rumour on a football forum didn't really expect anyone to get all HR ancy. As to the details I'm sure you are aware there are ways and means to get around things by being creative.

News to me Moulty had an England cap however.

1hhc.gif.636a792380796ffa8f2fdae57f7a5272.gif