Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Based on Ketts inability to muster together a competent defence we should get three veto's on summer signings.

I feel its may be a waste early on but Joe Lewis .... just in case.

On Bomack, I wouldn’t really expect the WS board to put offers which aren’t credible to a vote.  I kind of thought elected members were for that type of thing.

As for the season, can’t remember being as glad one was over tbh. 

Posted (edited)

Not going to pretend this was a good season, but some of the reactions at the stadium and online are a bit OTT. We stayed up, I'd always like us to aim higher than that but to be honest that's a successful season at the moment. Chuck in that we just missed out on top six football (taking it to the last game) developed some great players, managed to offload some deadwood, and stopped continuing to pay sacked managers, all while not having a CEO, it's really not been as bad as some are making out. 

On recruitment, some of the names being mentioned at the moment aren't very exciting, but we are having to rebuild a squad, not just a first XI and while our current coaches have areas where improvement is needed, one thing that can't be levelled against them is that they don't know how to get the best out of players. We're pretty good at keeping most targets in house, Davor and Nicholson both came out of nowhere for recent examples, I'd expect there to be a good few irons in the fire. 

The investment thing is what it is, if it's the right thing for the club then I'd hope it would go to a vote and WS members would get to see the detail, I'm absolutely in favour of it if it doesn't compromise fan ownership. I said from the beginning I didn't like the wording mentioning considering giving up controlling stake, I don't think it should have ever been on the table, it wasn't what was pitched by our departing chairman and the goalposts were moved. Concern for me is that the WS board feel that way too, but they have made a bit of a rod for their own back now as the membership voted for all options to be considered. Could turn out to be a bit of a minefield, given some folk think paying a small amount every month entitles them to know everything that's going on, at all times. 

Edited by MurrayWell

I'm fine with the WS board declining to take any offer forward. Much like the Club/Exec board declined to take a number of the early expressions of interest forward too.

However, given we are a stage on from expressions of interest, a fairly detailed stage of the process,  the next Comms on this from the WS needs to be, and I'm sure will be with, a detailed reasoning of whatever way they are going decision wise.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I didn’t realise Mugabi was at fault at the first goal as well as the second. Quite fitting he signed off with a performance that we’ve come to expect from him. 

Bigger issue for the first one, for me, was no one near or attempting to close down the guy that put the cross in.

Edited by Dosser1886

12 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Not going to pretend this was a good season, but some of the reactions at the stadium and online are a bit OTT. We stayed up, I'd always like us to aim higher than that but to be honest that's a successful season at the moment. Chuck in that we just missed out on top six football (taking it to the last game) developed some great players, managed to offload some deadwood, and stopped continuing to pay sacked managers, all while not having a CEO, it's really not been as bad as some are making out. 

It's not, on the whole, but honestly it was just a feeling of being absolutely scunnered with it all. I'd place myself fairly far along the towards to 'sensible' end of the scale, but the two goals we lost, again, the penalty we missed, the whole scene, I was up the road.

9 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I didn’t realise Mugabi was at fault at the first goal as well as the second. Quite fitting he signed off with a performance that we’ve come to expect from him. 

This is, imo, Mugabi at Motherwell in a nutshell. Folk are desperate to blame him for every goal he is near. The first one; neither Nicholson nor Miller make an attempt to close down one of the best crossers in the league, and let him whip a ball into a spot that's perfect for either a goal or an own goal off a centre-back.

The second one he's undeniably culpable to an extent, but how is Kelly not cleaning that out?!

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's not, on the whole, but honestly it was just a feeling of being absolutely scunnered with it all. I'd place myself fairly far along the towards to 'sensible' end of the scale, but the two goals we lost, again, the penalty we missed, the whole scene, I was up the road.

Oh aye, I completely get that. I was pretty annoyed at the game yesterday too, felt like a waste of time and I've had that feeling a few times at Fir Park this season. As I said, far from a "good" season, but certainly not a disaster. 

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is, imo, Mugabi at Motherwell in a nutshell. Folk are desperate to blame him for every goal he is near. The first one; neither Nicholson nor Miller make an attempt to close down one of the best crossers in the league

Whoa whoa whoa, steady on. You can't criticise Lennon. 

Or at least that seems to be the "aw shucks" reaction to every mistake he makes from the stand compared to some of the other usual suspects.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is, imo, Mugabi at Motherwell in a nutshell. Folk are desperate to blame him for every goal he is near. The first one; neither Nicholson nor Miller make an attempt to close down one of the best crossers in the league, and let him whip a ball into a spot that's perfect for either a goal or an own goal off a centre-back.

The second one he's undeniably culpable to an extent, but how is Kelly not cleaning that out?!

Appreciate your arguing the other side here but both of those goals are classic dithering and ball watching Mugabi. A decent defender isn't as slow to react to both those goals as he was.

Our problem has been that every single players in our defensive set up has a deficiency that is fairly easily exploited. 

It's the fear most of us have but if we retain the majority of those defenders we will just see another season like this..

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Whoa whoa whoa, steady on. You can't criticise Lennon. 

Or at least that seems to be the "aw shucks" reaction to every mistake he makes from the stand compared to some of the other usual suspects.

Rightly, or wrongly, I think Miller gets cut a lot of slack because he is 17, one of our own and making his mistakes very publicly in an adult environment. I guess the hope is, as he develops, the mistakes will become fewer and further between. Slaughtering a young player in thise circumstances is never a great idea, but I do agree that a lot of our more senior pro's get it tighter for a lot less at times.

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Appreciate your arguing the other side here but both of those goals are classic dithering and ball watching Mugabi. A decent defender isn't as slow to react to both those goals as he was.

Our problem has been that every single players in our defensive set up has a deficiency that is fairly easily exploited. 

It's the fear most of us have but if we retain the majority of those defenders we will just see another season like this..

The problem with Bevis is that he makes the same mistakes like 5 times a game, yesterday a few times he was slow reacting but he managed wrap his massive leg round the attacker a couple of times and poke the ball away which saved him but eventually one of the mistakes costs you - I don't blame him entirely for the second goal either - Kelly should absolutely be screaming at him as to what's going on as he is facing the play and Mugabi isn't and from the looks of it he wasn't.

The goal comes from McGinn getting nudged in the back going up to win the header and instead of heading it away heads it up and right in between Mugabi and Kelly and neither of them react well. Entirely preventable at 3 points but ultimately no one took charge of the situation and it shows no matter our combination of defenders, we will always ship goals - there is only one common factor in our defence all season and the sooner he's away the better.

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Rightly, or wrongly, I think Miller gets cut a lot of slack because he is 17, one of our own and making his mistakes very publicly in an adult environment. I guess the hope is, as he develops, the mistakes will become fewer and further between. Slaughtering a young player in thise circumstances is never a great idea, but I do agree that a lot of our more senior pro's get it tighter for a lot less at times.

Oh aye, it was firmly tongue in cheek, the boy is class and still a boy but if it was Paton and SOD (or any of our other right backs who were inexpclicably left out to accomodate Paton and force Nicholson to RWB) in that position yesterday, the reaction would have been a whole lot worse.

I think the 1st goal was just a fantastic cross and great finish. Most defenders a lot better than Bevis would have struggled to cope with the pace and accuracy of the cross.

However the 2nd goal was his to clear and then probably Kelly thereafter. Neither did. And none of us are overly surprised either. As I said it sums up their performance levels these past 12 months. Both are individually liable to make cock ups. Together…well..

Lennon Miller has a long way to go to be the all round footballer most of us believe he can be. Hardly surprising given his age and that this is his 1st proper season in the 1st team.  At times he is a joy to watch and his range of passing is exceptional for one so young.  Time will tell if he manages to go on and realise his potential. I sincerely hope he does.

Posted (edited)

Season 2023/24 in numbers:

• Manager on the books: 1
  • League games: 38
  • Total points: 43
  • Clean sheets: 3
  • Scoreless draws: 1
  • Games conceded first goal: 26
  • Wins from conceding first: 3
  • Losses from conceding first: 14
  • Points from conceding first: 18 from 78
  • Games scored first goal: 11
  • Wins from scoring first: 7
  • Losses from scoring first: 1
  • Points from scoring first: 24 from 33
  • 3rd best scoring record in the league
  • 4th best away record in the league
  • 3rd worst home record
  • Finished: 9th
  • League Cup: Papped early
  • Scottish Cup: Papped early to lower league opposition
  • CEO's appointed after 1 year recruitment process: 1
  • Chairmen resigning: 1
  • Ended: 27 year elephant on our back
  • Developed: 1 player from £0 to potential 7 figures
  • Starters regressed: At least 3
Edited by Vietnam91

33 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Weirdly, I was more annoyed after yesterday than I have been after a lot of "meaningful" games we've lost this season. I think because it was a nice day, good turn out and I was hoping for/expecting a positive end to the season - the fact it turned out to be a Greatest Hits of what's put us where we are had me totally scunnered too.

Probably the worst thing about the past season, taking into account the fact that most supporters only see us regularly at home, is the amount of time we've spent behind in games at Fir Park - and yesterday was a prime example from many. For all that we're safe and have scored a lot of good goals - it's still been a really poor year for home supporters (unless they love watching opposition goalkeepers doing really slow goal kicks for an hour every fortnight).

We could have scored 3 or 4 yesterday, and as such we lost 2-0 to their only two chances of the game.

Big Bevis post on insta is rather cryptic via Emojis.

same with the full time videos of Jack Vale, Georgie Gent and Sam Nicholson, would love all three back, Sam Nicholson probably the most likely.

Also, if you are an adult who bursts into a fit of rage when a player steals a few yards at a throw in, can you put an end to it for next season please.

The first goal is a beaut of a cross and finish imo. If Bevis could even make contact with that cross he's scoring (another) own goal. The second is shambolic, again. Another one to add to the terrible defending montage this season. Bevis is dithering about when the ball is his to clear. For me if the keeper hasn't given everyone in the local area tinnitus as he's coming to claim it I'm wanting my centre half to boot that ball to f**k. 

I am so glad I don't need to watch a lot of these guys next season. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The first goal is a beaut of a cross and finish imo. If Bevis could even make contact with that cross he's scoring (another) own goal. The second is shambolic, again. Another one to add to the terrible defending montage this season. Bevis is dithering about when the ball is his to clear. For me if the keeper hasn't given everyone in the local area tinnitus as he's coming to claim it I'm wanting my centre half to boot that ball to f**k. 

I am so glad I don't need to watch a lot of these guys next season. 

This is bang on the money. First goal was a great cross (although nobody closing down) and good finish.
The second was a total shambles. Kelly should have been screaming at Bevis that he was coming for it or to boot it to f**k. 
Was in the DC yesterday. Not only is Mitov a good keeper, he also seems fairly decent. Bit of chat with the home fans, all good natured. 
Would have him in a heartbeat. 

Edited by 18May1991

1 minute ago, 18May1991 said:

This is bang on the money. First goal was a great cross (although nobody closing down) and good finish.
The second was a total shambles. Kelly should have been screaming at Bevis that he was coming for it or to boot it f**k. 
Wad in the DC yesterday. Not only is Mitov a good keeper, he also seems fairly decent. Bit of chat with the home fans, all good natured. 
Would have him in a heartbeat. 

Consigned them to a playoff would have got us an extra league place and prize money plus potential for their relegation and him definitely looking elsewhere. Although I think he's beyond us.

Today's the day I want someone outside Fir Park with a telephoto lens updating Twitter every few minutes:

image.png.7f950528adf9998d1e2df4b9dd3a6587.png