Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

54 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Me too. Two that I know of from our extended group were quite up for it when it first came out (or willing to be persuaded on it), which surprised me in and of itself. Reading the WhatsApp chat today they seem to have changed their mind, but how many people aren’t really getting the message? I’ve no idea how many people who will have a vote read (or don’t read) p&b/twitter/facebook etc. It’s those people the message needs to get to, but how that’s done I don’t know. 

If I was trying to advise folk in the WS, I would suggest trying to provide a short, easy to understand summary of the impact of the deal on the Society itself. Something that you can read in the preview of an email, something that's easy to share in group chat's etc and don't need to open PDF's or scroll for half an hour. 

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

If I was trying to advise folk in the WS, I would suggest trying to provide a short, easy to understand summary of the impact of the deal on the Society itself. Something that you can read in the preview of an email, something that's easy to share in group chat's etc and don't need to open PDF's or scroll for half an hour. 

Yeah agreed. Took me two attempts to read the full email due to 'other things going on'. It's all good stuff and important but it's long

@Vietnam91 posted some images earlier in the thread which was quite a nice representation. Not sure if that was WS produced? Should say at this point, thanks to the few posters who are like a dog with a bone on this one.  Especially @Vietnam91. We had our differences of opinion on other matters early on but all taken in good spirit.  It's been fairly eye opening. 

I'm not  at the @Erik Barmack is all bad point a few are at, I think there's a lot of good things to talk about, but I'm glad the bid will be altered and look on with interest on that front.  Less enamoured with how it's all came about with off the side of the table chats etc. but, ultimately, I think there could be positive moves for everyone if we don't need to give up as much essentially.

To the point of the vote earlier. For what it's worth, which is purely anecdotal, the 6 people I know from going to the games are all no in it's current form.  That was 3 died in the wool WS/fan ownership only people who didn't vote to even consider a bid, 2 WS members who voted to consider options but really don't like the deal (I'm in there), and one non WS, non forum, non ITK 70 odd year old.

Edited by eliphas

17 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Hmm. I think that depends on Bair staying or going, now. If we sign Stuparević I'd rather we looked to bring in a wide-attacking player or two.

Well we have in Kofi Balmer a man that can take throw ins from miles away. So as much as it would be agricultural I would anticipate that we are looking for someone that is big, strong and can header the ball like a Joe Jordan. We already have the first two in Bair but as the likelihood is he will be moving on...

Is Nouble good in the air ? 

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Well we have in Kofi Balmer a man that can take throw ins from miles away. So as much as it would be agricultural I would anticipate that we are looking for someone that is big, strong and can header the ball like a Joe Jordan. We already have the first two in Bair but as the likelihood is he will be moving on...

Is Nouble good in the air ? 

No idea, but Stuparević is 6'0" from what I've read; the wide players was more for to give us a Plan B or something else to try rather than the 3-4-2-1 / 3-5-2.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely think you'll get a Tory-eqe "don't worry, if you vote Barmack in he'll definitely have changed his plans to make it better, so do it before we miss out" statement. 

+1 on @thisGRAEME's post that this is exactly what will happen.

I can see a lot of attempted gaslighting happening from our Executive Board.

It's genuinely wild that the existential threat to fan ownership isn't coming explicitly from outside forces but from our actual Chairman and his minions.

22 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

What the he'll did I just wake up to this morning?

Who's betting thr club will reveal the new home top to try and change the topic?

We've just announced three players - and that didn't change the topic. 

39 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Yeah agreed. Took me two attempts to read the full email due to 'other things going on'. It's all good stuff and important but it's long

@Vietnam91 posted some images earlier in the thread which was quite a nice representation. Not sure if that was WS produced? Should say at this point, thanks to the few posters who are like a dog with a bone on this one.  Especially @Vietnam91. We had our differences of opinion on other matters early on but all taken in good spirit.  It's been fairly eye opening. 

I'm not  at the @Erik Barmack is all bad point a few are at, I think there's a lot of good things to talk about, but I'm glad the bid will be altered and look on with interest on that front.  Less enamoured with how it's all came about with off the side of the table chats etc. but, ultimately, I think there could be positive moves for everyone if we don't need to give up as much essentially.

To the point of the vote earlier. For what it's worth, which is purely anecdotal, the 6 people I know from going to the games are all no in it's current form.  That was 3 died in the wool WS/fan ownership only people who didn't vote to even consider a bid, 2 WS members who voted to consider options but really don't like the deal (I'm in there), and one non WS, non forum, non ITK 70 odd year old.

If its the what a fair deal looks like one's, personally produced, not disseminated before I put them on here. However, I can say it was illustrated in person to former WS co-chairman and the current treasurer using the treasurer's pen as the midpoint "fair deal" prop and my left hand the club and right hand an offer of investment.

Also with respect to our new income stream to the tune of +£800k I'm like a broken record on, I have repeatedly added caveats to all my postings to be fair and as objective as I can be (while finding the offer ridiculous). The club board and investors tend to not play as fair, however in answer to your question the most recent one here:

18 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Regardless, in one fail swoop two weeks ago our bad season financial hole was filled. Gaining advantage is a different issue.

and here:

On 13/06/2024 at 07:29, Vietnam91 said:

Remove the Bair sale, this increased income plugs our funding gap in a poor season. However, as it will be universal for the league we will merely keep parity with our peers. The Bair sale allows us to in theory get an edge. What is also not factored is if the manager will ask to operate as we do at present, with a projected loss looking to satisfy the gap in the hope we can achieve extra success as that will in turn be rewarded with additional prize money.

This is however an example of how the goal posts are seemingly constantly moving. At 3 previous AGM's we told £750k funding gap in poor season, we've had a few poor ones but over the long term we're in the black. Now when TV and UEFA money is announced that's now not enough.

Accounts to year end May-24 will be breakeven. I suspect to May-25 (if we avoid relegation) will be well in the black before a ball is kicked, giving SK a very healthy war chest.

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's genuinely wild that the existential threat to fan ownership isn't coming explicitly from outside forces but from our actual Chairman and his minions.

Wild doesn't even come close

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/12/18/jim-mcmahon-to-step-down-as-chairman/

Jim initiated the discussions with John Boyle about how to move to fan ownership and led the work involved in framing the legal and financial structure of the Society. He was also the first 1886 member.

1886 Membership was £25k.

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think one thing I've learned from this (amongst many things) is that our club board is as much an echo chamber as forums like this. The idea that they sent the deal out in it's current form kind of proves that they don't do dissenting voices.

Those wondering how these types of investments end up would be well worth checking out the demise in snooker popularity after Barry Hearn's hype train left the station.

The guy's own list of achievements are proof that he gets bored within a couple of years.  Hopefully you tell him to politely trot off.

At Utd we are so in the mire with our American owner that getting to the ownership structure you currently have is a pipe dream.

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think one thing I've learned from this (amongst many things) is that our club board is as much an echo chamber as forums like this. The idea that they sent the deal out in it's current form kind of proves that they don't do dissenting voices.

... and that it's principally made up of old men in blazers, only interested in the pies, ties and being "the guys"...

... sorry.

Edited by StAndrew7

5 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

... and that it's principally made up of old men in blazers, only interested in the pies, ties and being "the guys"...

ric flair wrestling GIF

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

Hmm. I think that depends on Bair staying or going, now. If we sign Stuparević I'd rather we looked to bring in a wide-attacking player or two.

In fairness, Nouble is an wide-attacker.

At least that was the go-to response from Livi fans when folk commented on his lack of goals.

It pretty much tracks tbh, most of the highlights clips I've seen of him have him playing in wide areas.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness, Nouble is an wide-attacker.

At least that was the go-to response from Livi fans when folk commented on his lack of goals.

It pretty much tracks tbh, most of the highlights clips I've seen of him have him playing in wide areas.

Fair; I'd always just assumed he was a striker, given Kett's obsession for them. 😅

Posted (edited)

Not sure about Nouble but to add to the speculation I heard we’d apparently been talking to the boy Robinson who was at Dundee last season. 

Also that we were trying to sign a goalie who’s played in Scotland before(not Joe Lewis). 

Edited by Casagolda