Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

In June, a time normally reserved for tracking down new signings, McGhee was instead embarking on a different talent search.

"I was working with an Indian club trying to raise finances for them to build a new stadium," explained the 61-year-old, who left his position as a consultant at League Two Barnet in March.

"These guys have contacts in Dubai and one of them had asked if it would be possible for Ed Sheeran to play there and they then asked me.

"When I first considered [tracking down Sheeran] I thought 'How the hell do you go about that?' and then I quickly realised he was playing at Hampden in the summer so I contacted those in the know.

"They put me in touch and I quickly established he had been there last year and wasn't coming again, so within a couple of days I had them a very clear answer."

The change of scenery is something McGhee clearly is enjoying.

His last full-time managerial post ended at Motherwell in February 2017, and his eyes have been opened to other opportunities.

"It was a new project for me but it was what I was wanting to do - to get involved in other areas of the game," he said.

"I've got involved in a project to look at putting coaching courses into schools in Mumbai, which is a nice and interesting project which is just getting up and running now."

"It still makes me sick"

McGhee's change in direction can be traced back further than his four-month spell at Barnet - to the last few weeks of his time at Fir Park.

A run of poor results - two wins from his last 13 games - ultimately led the Lanarkshire club to act, but the man who took Motherwell into Europe during his first spell in charge insists his "conscious" choice to decide "enough was enough" in management for now came in the weeks before and after his exit.

The following month McGhee was given a six-match touchline ban by the Scottish FA after being charged over his conduct towards a match official during that 7-2 defeat at Pittodrie, his third last game in charge. It came three months after he was cited for an altercation with an "overzealous" Dens Park "bouncer" in a 2-0 loss at Dundee.

"I have to say it still feels like the biggest injustice that's ever been done to me in my life. It still makes me sick to think that's what happened to me," explains McGhee. "I can't put into words how strongly I feel about it.

"It was partly the thing at Pittodrie and the incident at Dundee where I consider I was manhandled by a bouncer.

"That [six-match ban] hangs over me and it's practically impossible for me to consider coming to Scotland because of that."

'Treatment precludes me from working in Scotland'

Undoubtedly what happened at Pittodrie, home of the Aberdeen with whom side he won the European Cup Winners' Cup and Super Cup in 1983, still chastens.

Following an altercation with the fourth official, ironic cheers from the support who used to chant his name greeted McGhee being sent to the stand before a fan sitting right in front of the Motherwell manager called him a "******* clown" as the whole incident was recorded on a mobile phone.

"When I was sent to the stand to be treated the way I was treated and then to be given a six-match ban, well, enough was enough," he said.

"I don't think anyone should be treated like that. It was so unprofessional for them and so undignified. It was shocking.

"I have nearly a thousand games as a manager and to be treated like that was horrendous. My eight-year-old son was at the game and witnessed it all. It's just horrific.

"All of that doesn't sit well with me and therefore precludes me, I think, from working in Scotland."

The future - 'it's all good fun'

McGhee was recently linked with the Greenock Morton manager's job but he insists there was nothing in the rumours of a return to his old club.

While admitting the door is not closed on a return to management, the Gothenburg hero says he is excited by what his future holds across a broad horizon.

"I always thought after the Motherwell job, especially if I got to the 1,000 games, then I was already thinking of a Mark McGhee consultancy role," he said.

"I had been to Barcelona. I was asked to get involved with a project on e-sports which I'm still considering.

"They want to put on big events for e-sports and they wanted to bring it to England. They just wanted me to be an agent for them in a sense. It's all good fun."

FFS! :lol::lol: 

38 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Apparently the wind has ripped up some of our new AstroTurf. Hopefully that’s all of the damage.

That's some shoddy workmanship right there.  Get the c***s back in to fix it, free of charge.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

FFS! :lol::lol: 

It's reaching the self-parody stage now - including Alan Partridge style anecdotes ("Dubai!" "Ed Sheeran!", "Barcelona!") and referring to himself in the 3rd person. Brilliant stuff - miss that guy.*

*don't miss that guy

It's kind of amazing that when you think of McGhee's first-first season and what a huge difference he made to the team in terms of fitness and style of play - when you look from then to now, it's actually pretty sad that he is reduced to asking some secretary at Hampden about Ed Sheeran's touring schedule...

I wonder if he's given up the coding?

The was chat about McGhee's final season on here the other week and it got me thinking about just how much of a shambles it was in hindsight.

Jacob Blyth, Luka Belic, Dean Brill, Zak fucking Jules, McFadden replacing Robinson and seemingly being left to run training himself, continuing to play Craig Samson, then you get to the Ibrox and Pittodrie meltdowns before the coup de grâce of being bodied 5-1 at home by Dundee.

This video popped up in my YouTube sidebar earlier and it was a reminder that at the close of the January window that season we were sat in 6th before everything just imploded.

Looking at our team at the moment though there are still a few of McGhee signings from that season at the club and they are a couple of our better players in that group. Tait, McHugh, Frear and Bowman. We also pocketed actual cash for Ben Heneghan.

Even Casagolda's opening post of this very thread is a reminder that McGhee turned things round that season he was parachuted in after Baraclough got his jotters.

Fucking hell though...the wheels well and truly came off in spectacular fashion.

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The was chat about McGhee's final season on here the other week and it got me thinking about just how much of a shambles it was in hindsight.

Jacob Blyth, Luka Belic, Dean Brill, Zak fucking Jules, McFadden replacing Robinson and seemingly being left to run training himself, continuing to play Craig Samson, then you get to the Ibrox and Pittodrie meltdowns before the coup de grâce of being bodied 5-1 at home by Dundee.

This video popped up in my YouTube sidebar earlier and it was a reminder that at the close of the January window that season we were sat in 6th before everything just imploded.

Looking at our team at the moment though there are still a few of McGhee signings from that season at the club and they are a couple of our better players in that group. Tait, McHugh, Frear and Bowman. We also pocketed actual cash for Ben Heneghan.

Even Casagolda's opening post of this very thread is a reminder that McGhee turned things round that season he was parachuted in after Baraclough got his jotters.

Fucking hell though...the wheels well and truly came off in spectacular fashion.

Some of the McGhee signings did prove to be good, but others defied belief. I still refuse to believe anyone involved at the club had ever seen Zak Jules play because he was the biggest defensive liability I've ever seen. And I don't think any of us are certain that Luka Belic exists.

We looked pretty secure up until the Ibrox meltdown then the wheels came right off it. Getting hammered by Aberdeen alongside the now legendary heads gone followed by a contender for the worst ever performance I've ever seen at Fir Park when Dundee shafted us. I still remember watching the Dundee players walking off at half time laughing and fair play to them. I'd have been pishing myself playing against that lot.

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Some of the McGhee signings did prove to be good, but others defied belief. I still refuse to believe anyone involved at the club had ever seen Zak Jules play because he was the biggest defensive liability I've ever seen. And I don't think any of us are certain that Luka Belic exists.

We looked pretty secure up until the Ibrox meltdown then the wheels came right off it. Getting hammered by Aberdeen alongside the now legendary heads gone followed by a contender for the worst ever performance I've ever seen at Fir Park when Dundee shafted us. I still remember watching the Dundee players walking off at half time laughing and fair play to them. I'd have been pishing myself playing against that lot.

100%. 

I was fortunate enough not to have paid in to the Dundee game thanks to @Desp having spare comps. Cheers for that btw.

The reason I mentioned those signings was largely down to the fact that it was the same Head of Recruitment we've got now.  There's been a massive improvement in performance levels from guys like Tait who just seems to be crossfitting his way through life but looking back it feels like for whatever reason McGhee just couldn't be fucked that season. Giving Samson the #1 jersey simply because he was still hanging around absolutely typified that.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100%. 

I was fortunate enough not to have paid in to the Dundee game thanks to @Desp having spare comps. Cheers for that btw.

The reason I mentioned those signings was largely down to the fact that it was the same Head of Recruitment we've got now.  There's been a massive improvement in performance levels from guys like Tait who just seems to be crossfitting his way through life but looking back it feels like for whatever reason McGhee just couldn't be fucked that season. Giving Samson the #1 jersey simply because he was still hanging around absolutely typified that.

I really don't get up in arms about day-to-day running of the club as some do, but that absolutely got a reaction out of me. Total laziness from McGhee to not look for a number 1 as Samson was a complete liability.

McGhee just seemed to sack the majority of training on to McFadden to take care of. I'd have no issues with this if we had an experienced assistant who'd been doing it for years but, realistically, McFadden was still learning how to manage. 

Christ what a fucking car crash couple of months that was.