Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Watt still looks short of fitness.

He does, but I was pleasantly surprised with how quick he was at points closing down.

Probably just told to go out and do his pan in pressing their back 3/4 and cause chaos. Mission accomplished. Loved that he full on barged KVV towards the end too. 😅

1 hour ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Big improvement for me on last season is players lifting their heads and looking for a pass.  Plenty examples from yesterday where last year we’d have lost the ball or knocked it out, but instead we had good awareness of where everyone was on the park.

Everyone around me in the John Hunter was screaming for the ball to be played out wide to Wilson first half. He was in acres of space. 

I think the start to the season (including who we beat in the LC) tells us that we can at least be in the pack this season - and if you're in the pack, you've got a chance to have a good season as everything is always very compressed in the middle part of the table.

I think the team that we finished with yesterday (ie one with both Balmer and Stama in it) would probably be closer to what Kettlewell envisioned in the summer. Casey took one for the team yesterday but I think he might now struggle to dislodge Balmer (and The Throw), which is a shame for him personally but with the squad we've got, it's inevitable. I also thought that the fact SOD appeared yesterday was probably a sign of a player who doesn't want to lose his place with Kaleta and now Koutroumbis breathing down his neck.

Up front - I would like to see Stama with Watt as our first choice forwards - Watt is quite adaptable and could play wider or more centrally where needed. Moses is a sub/squad player as much as I like him and Robinson can fight it out with Watt for the "other" forward position.

The fact that we've got a lot of good options is a nice change for us - we desperately need the same in midfield though - Slattery coming back could be a big thing towards the end of the year...