Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

We definitely paid a fee for Moult, but I believe the fee was similar to those paid for Johnson and subsequently Bowman.  Circa £50k. 

Quite. I seem to remember reported fees of £30k and £40k being quoted for Johnson and Moult, certainly I've never seen anything near £125k mentioned for Moult. £12.5k would be more likely tbh.

In fact here's where I saw the £30k figure re: Johnson http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-birmingham-city-target-marvin-11819720

Reading that Talksport piece the clubs they mention in the body of the article; Cardiff, Derby, Rotherham and Burton seem much more realistic destinations tbh.

For me, the interesting thing about the Moult story is that it looks his agent is trying to stir up a move in this window as opposed to waiting for the summer - as these stories don't appear by accident. This is an agent doing what agents do but the worst case out of this is that we end up with a de-motivated Moult come the end of the month if he doesn't get the move he/his agent wants. His attitude has been fantastic so far and it would be bad for us if that changes given how important a player he is for us.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

For me, the interesting thing about the Moult story is that it looks his agent is trying to stir up a move in this window as opposed to waiting for the summer - as these stories don't appear by accident. This is an agent doing what agents do but the worst case out of this is that we end up with a de-motivated Moult come the end of the month if he doesn't get the move he/his agent wants. His attitude has been fantastic so far and it would be bad for us if that changes given how important a player he is for us.

Based on nothing more than his general demeanour in his time at the club so far Moult doesn't really strike me as the "toys out the pram" sort whereas it seemed that Johnson had previous for the way things ended up with his move to Oxford (his agent's copy & paste statement re: transfer request for example). Given Moult's got a year and a half left on his deal this is probably the optimum point in terms of potential value unless he signs an extension if he's still here after the window shuts. With the way the club have handled things this year I'm interested to see how it pans out, so far they've bumped a bid from Australia for McDonald and shown a degree of strength when it came to the Johnson deal and we're in a position at the moment where we're sitting with cash in the bank and we genuinely don't *need* to sell unless the offer is attractive to all parties.

Picking up on a tweet from a few weeks back Alan Burrows indicated that the combined value of the Johnson deal was the highest the club has received since 2009. It's adding 2+2 but the highest reported fee that year was the £600k for Clarkson so it seems a reasonable guess that that's the minimum value of the Johnson deal (The Scottish Sun quoted £650k at the time the deal went through). McGhee also referenced it in his press conference a couple of weeks ago where he reiterated that it was a "substantial" amount of money we'd received. With that in mind it'd seem that the club are actually quite comfortable in negotiating this sort of stuff these days, which is a welcome change from the absolute shambles of previous seasons.

I agree - I can't see Moult being a toys out the pram type, I was more meaning unsettled or on a downer. Also agree that this window is arguably the time to sell him - although I'm far from convinced that Bowman is ready to replace him (which might be a bit harsh). If we can get a similar amount for Moult that we did for Johnson (and there is no reason why not as Moult is by far the better player), then it would totally vindicate the investment of signing these guys on a long contracts and paying fees for them.

If it does happen, I'll be sad to see him go and he'll go with everyone's best wishes I'm sure -  but it's vital to the viability of the club that we sell players and we seem to be making a better go of that than before. I assume that we'll also be looking to pick up another couple of potentially sale-able players that are into the last 6 months of their deals in the English lower leagues - it would be great to see us on the other end of the situation where players and going to leave for nothing in the summer and so clubs feel the need to accept some money now..

15 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Stuart Carswell any good? Just signed for the Sons.

Was a really good prospect when he first broke into the team under McCall but lost his way under Barraclough and was last seen getting sent off deliberately in a game at Firhill. Don't believe he did well at St Mirren....

Was a really good prospect when he first broke into the team under McCall but lost his way under Barraclough and was last seen getting sent off deliberately in a game at Firhill. Don't believe he did well at St Mirren....

Does anyone do well at St Mirren?

Dynamite. Cheers.

To expand on that, he looked decent enough when he first came through and was playing in a team finishing in the top 2/3. When things got tough under Baraclough he hid and was beyond useless. One of his last games for us was at Partick Thistle which we had to win to have any hopes of avoiding the play offs and he got himself sent off - presumably to let folk know that he did still exist.

To expand on that, he looked decent enough when he first came through and was playing in a team finishing in the top 2/3. When things got tough under Baraclough he hid and was beyond useless. One of his last games for us was at Partick Thistle which we had to win to have any hopes of avoiding the play offs and he got himself sent off - presumably to let folk know that he did still exist.

Thanks for the info

Stuart Carswell any good? Just signed for the Sons.

Played a decent number of games for Motherwell without actually doing much at all. Didn't score I believe. Wasn't one for picking out a pass, or putting in a crunching tackle.

The very definition of 'meh'. All the best for the rest of the season. If you can relegate St Mirren, it would be fucking hilarious.