Ayr United, What now 2016/17

That was Moore scored in the 2-1 win for what was effectively our 20s vs Dumbarton earlier. He's been getting minutes in most of our pre-season games. At the moment it looks like McGhee's going with Moult, Blyth, McDonald and Moore as his 4 strikers.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was on trial with us this week but we let him go. Looked reasonable enough, but was apparently horrific with Cowden last season.

He's also far, far too ugly for our handsome squad.

Have to agree with you considering you signed this sexy muthafucka
578164647943d_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

6 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Just look at those denim shorts. Almost makes me jealous of the Dumbarton fans.

I can't wait to see what he turns up in on our player of the year night. I'm hopeful it'll be something like this, but with smarter trousers

B4STyvoIQAAT64n.jpg

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I can't wait to see what he turns up in on our player of the year night. I'm hopeful it'll be something like this, but with smarter trousers

B4STyvoIQAAT64n.jpg

At first glance I thought he had Richard Keys-like hand hair

Did any of you lads get down to Raydale Park today?

South Shields are throwing money around at the moment down here and were pulling in crowds of over 1,000 in the Northern league second division last season. I went to see them in their temporary home at Peterlee the season before last and the crowd was about 12 and more than half of those were club officials who got in for free. The club was on its knees. Then the new owner took over and took them back to South Shields (or should that be took them back to Jarrow as that's where their home ground is?).

They have just signed John Shaw who was released by Gateshead (who are my second team) and he has dropped 4 levels to play for them and will score for fun in the Northern league at level 9 in the pyramid. They also have Julio Arca, ex Sunderland/Middlesbrough and captain of the Argentinian Under 20 world cup winning squad in 2001. He is one of my all time favourite Sunderland players and can play tunes with a football. He is a magician with his left foot and a nice bloke to boot. Apparently he scored both goals today. 

Daft results happen pre season as we all know, but don't be fooled by South Shields league status at level 9 in England. The team they have are way way better than that and I would have them down as pretty much certainties to win promotion in the next two seasons at least, given the same level of backing they are getting now. I went to see Gateshead at Blyth Spartans today. Gateshead won comfortably 3-0 and also have backing which allows them to be full time and I still harbour hopes they can make the big leagues like Edinburgh City did. South Shields are competing with Gateshead for players and crowds despite being 4 levels lower in the pyramid which is mad really.

My visit to Ayr is still on hold sadly. Got 5 Scottish grounds left to visit and Airdrie next Friday and Montrose next Saturday reduce that down to three. I have done my research on your town and I refuse to visit alone for a nondescript league game in November. It deserves a full on lads away day and a stopover preferably in good weather. I may well leave you till last and do Brechin and the hellish trek that is Peterhead first. Ayr sounds like a good place to finish.

"Daft results happen pre season as we all know, but don't be fooled by South Shields league status at level 9"

Dont think it's that daft a result mate if what you say is true about SS being an upward trajectory outfit . We are a; always for sale by an oversees chairman, rejected permission to progress in structure by voles. Scraped promotion out a frankly atrocious league with perennially dwindling supporters who are, not unreadably, expectant in nature. Way short of a squad with a few weeks to go til the start of the campaign. Play at a crumbling stadium in the heart of a strangled town whose people mainly support the old firm for sectarian reasons with a part time squad who love getting going out to get pished and get tattoos. I'm surprised it wasn't 3-0

3 hours ago, young buck said:

"Daft results happen pre season as we all know, but don't be fooled by South Shields league status at level 9"

Dont think it's that daft a result mate if what you say is true about SS being an upward trajectory outfit . We are a; always for sale by an oversees chairman, rejected permission to progress in structure by voles. Scraped promotion out a frankly atrocious league with perennially dwindling supporters who are, not unreadably, expectant in nature. Way short of a squad with a few weeks to go til the start of the campaign. Play at a crumbling stadium in the heart of a strangled town whose people mainly support the old firm for sectarian reasons with a part time squad who love getting going out to get pished and get tattoos. I'm surprised it wasn't 3-0

That's the spirit..

I've always been in the "trust in McCall camp", but jeezo we are getting desperate for strikers with a bit of quality.

Come on Ian McCall 

If you are in the know please pass on your knowledge to Ian McCall as to where these strikers are to be had.

Give the guy a break, I'm sure he will be working his arse off trying to bring in some new players.

The real problem is Ayr United. We are not exactly the most appealing club to players capable of playing at this level.

17 minutes ago, conley said:

If you are in the know please pass on your knowledge to Ian McCall as to where these strikers are to be had.

Give the guy a break, I'm sure he will be working his arse off trying to bring in some new players.

The real problem is Ayr United. We are not exactly the most appealing club to players capable of playing at this level.

Give the guy a break .....      hardly on his case !!!!

13 minutes ago, conley said:

Are you being serious? If we were bottom of the second division then I might have sympathy with your argument. There are twenty teams currently below us in scottish senior football and even some junior leagues where I'm sure there are players who would be delighted to sign up. Some of those would easily be capable of stepping up. McCall seems to have chosen the other route of taking players on the way down. Whilst I'm willing to back McCall and I'm sure he will prove me wrong there doesn't seem to be many players around who fit his criteria. Those who do we seem to be in competition with Dumbarton meaning there is no real competitive edge. Looks like loan signings or someone unknown from outwith Scotland are our most likely options.

Out of interest; who do you think would easily be capable of stepping up.....

Yes. ..you beat me to it, was about to ask the same question.

I believe that the Championship is a serious step up in quality from League One. To attract proven and capable players at this level is always going to be difficult for a part time club.

Boy on trial today against Gretna, Jamie Thomas, is a 19 year old highly rated U19 Welsh International and Burnley player. Now.... he might just have the quality to play Championship level if we can get him in on loan.

31 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Out of interest; who do you think would easily be capable of stepping up.....

For starters the two Peterhead lads and there was a guy at Albion Rovers who scored a half decent return in difficult circumstances. Don't know the league below very well but I would expect there would be youngsters who will be making their way up the leagues as their careers progress. Dont see the harm in taking a punt and turning someone into a player. Stevenston was probably the surest bet ever dropping back and actually turned out to be a bad call.

Archived