Ayr United, What now 2016/17

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Another two centre backs, two wingers and at least a striker. You seem stacked in centre mid.

Craig Moore is a solid signing but his injury record is poor, what did he eventually notch last season? At present it still doesn't seem you've significantly strengthened the squad from last season which is really what you needed. Can only presume McCall is holding out for the loan market.

We have already signed two centre half's, still need one; however agree with the rest. Think Moore got 14 in 25 starts,  though I may need to be corrected on that. 

If the boy we've signed on loan from Burnley is good then we are stronger than last season up front, midfield (Cairney) and in defence (Meggatt) Hiwever as you say, two wingers and a centre half to compete effectively IMO. 

I was starting to think Dunfermline were slightly weaker than last season until you added Higginbotham!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have already signed two centre half's, still need one; however agree with the rest. Think Moore got 14 in 25 starts,  though I may need to be corrected on that. 

If the boy we've signed on loan from Burnley is good then we are stronger than last season up front, midfield (Cairney) and in defence (Meggatt) Hiwever as you say, two wingers and a centre half to compete effectively IMO. 

I was starting to think Dunfermline were slightly weaker than last season until you added Higginbotham!

Is Megget a centre half? My bad I genuinely thought he was a full back, I don't think Cairney is all that great but I'd rate him higher than Stevenson, managing to palm him off to your direct rivals and taking up there budget was good business. You'd surely have Adams and Doc in cm though?

We're pretty much the same, Reilly is at least "proven" at this level, I don't think he's as good as Faissal but he should do the job, I'm a fan of McMullan and Wedderburn and I'd say the defence and midfield is stronger.

While it's all well and good having two very good players in Higginbothom and Reilly we'll just wait and see how they'll offset losing (imo) a better player in Faissal.

Cairney bossed the game against us playing deep and we seem to be playing him further up the park where he is showing as an early contender for scape/spacegoat already, mainly because he isn't Doc or Adams.

Adams and Doc would be first choice there but Adams problems are well known so Cairney and Gilmour will play a fair bit of the season in the middle I would think. 

We have been chasing a few forwards and I suspect Moore was always coming back anyway, McManus has been linked most recently, hes experienced at this level but I'm not confident we'll get him. 

Like last season, we have built a decent squad but 2-3 injuries to key players could derail us again.  

I'm asking this question from the perspective of a Dundee-based fan who doesn't get to see too many games and doesn't get the Ayrshire post.

Now we have Moore secured, how close are we to a strong team that can compete to stay in this league?

Dumbarton seem to be a bit of a shambles so if that carries on then our squad is better than that of teams in the league below. Fingers crossed this is of no relevance as we charge to the title.

Why would we need 6 central defenders!

Meggatt and Rose can cover wing back positions. If a right back or left back get injured we're atomically down one centre half. McCall has already said he'd rather loan McCracken out because he's not ready for the championship. So all in I count a total of 5 defenders. 3 being centre halfs "championship" ready, 2 being cover for wing back positions and one being over 35

Motherwell FC can today confirm that Craig Moore has completed his loan move and has re-joined Ayr United for the 2016/17 season.

The 21-year-old forward enjoyed a positive season in League One with Ian McCall’s side as the club secured promotion to the Championship.

We think Craig’s a great player, but he won’t be getting much game time here with us.

‘Well boss Mark McGhee said: “We think Craig’s a great player, but the way things have worked, we need to be a little clever with our budgets.

“It’s about him getting as much game time as possible and we’ll see where he is come December. We have a call-back option in January, so that gives us some flexibility.”

Cairney bossed the game against us playing deep and we seem to be playing him further up the park where he is showing as an early contender for scape/spacegoat already, mainly because he isn't Doc or Adams.

I fucking hate it when we do this. Sign a really good player and then play him out of position until his confidence is obliterated and he's forced to move on!

34 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I see we've missed out on Dec McManus he's signed on loan for Raith Rovers. Looks like he turned down us and Morton to sign for the Fife club. Oh well back to the drawing board.

IMO striker isn't a priority now.  Moore, O'Connell, Thomas and Forrest can all play up top.  We really need probably 2 more midfielders (wide players) and maybe another centre half, then look at a striker.  I'd imagine most games we will play 1 up top, so no need for 4/5 strikers.

Archived