Ayr United, What now 2016/17

We have not been in a position to laugh at any team in for most of our history. What are you talking about?

And also.....please enlighten us to who Mr. McCall will be able to attract to sign for his part time team in a league predominantly full time that will make a difference.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I want to go back to Somerset again this season. I remember I used to go to games 10/20 years ago and laugh at teams like St.Mirren coming to play us. Today, all I saw was box to box crap. When will Mccall see we need a experienced striker? Midfield having to do everything. St.Mirren were dire today and we should have taken advantage.... Or we would have if we had a player that knew where the goal was. Rubbish. WAKE UP MCCALL!!! 

I kept looking at the dugout to see if Mark Roberts was still there.

I thought the tactics were almost spot on today. I agree we need an experienced striker but we made ourselves hard to beat which after a couple of heavy defeats was a must.

3 minutes ago, conley said:

We have not been in a position to laugh at any team in for most of our history. What are you talking about?

And also.....please enlighten us to who Mr. McCall will be able to attract to sign for his part time team in a league predominantly full time that will make a difference.

I said 10 to 20 years ago. We used to have half decent cup runs and take on higher league teams and beat them thoroughly. 23/01/99 for example. I've mentioned previously half decent players that would make a great difference at Somerset and would join despite our part time status.

Call it anger at decline or apathy if you want, due to uninteresting football and players who are only there to move on to bigger clubs.

35 minutes ago, Andy Walkers love child said:

I don't think I want to go back to Somerset again this season. I remember I used to go to games 10/20 years ago and laugh at teams like St.Mirren coming to play us. Today, all I saw was box to box crap. When will Mccall see we need a experienced striker? Midfield having to do everything. St.Mirren were dire today and we should have taken advantage.... Or we would have if we had a player that knew where the goal was. Rubbish. WAKE UP MCCALL!!! 

I kept looking at the dugout to see if Mark Roberts was still there.

"Laugh at teams like St Mirren" :lol:

We have no width or pace in the team.  Doesn't seem to matter who we play up front, they always seem to end up hopelessly isolated. . The balance of the midfield is all wrong with Adams and Cairney contributing very little.  First impression of Meggatt was positive, but the more I see him, the more he looks like a bit of a bombscare - we desperately need a strong experienced centre half.  Not sure what to make of Harkins - technical ability is obvious, but very little in the way of end product.

Just now, Mgc1910 said:

We have no width or pace in the team.  Doesn't seem to matter who we play up front, they always seem to end up hopelessly isolated. . The balance of the midfield is all wrong with Adams and Cairney contributing very little.  First impression of Meggatt was positive, but the more I see him, the more he looks like a bit of a bombscare - we desperately need a strong experienced centre half.  Not sure what to make of Harkins - technical ability is obvious, but very little in the way of end product.

Sorry what? Meggatt had a great game today, won everything in the air as well as numerous blocks. And again Adams contributing very little? Utter nonsense. 

Cairney wasn't great but he was being asked to play in the middle whilst also covering out left. Hung out to dry by McCall so far. 

I'm not particularly having a go at Adams or Cairney, my point is the balance of the midfield is all wrong.  Cairney is, being charitable, being played out of position.  Adams is useful at set pieces (at both ends), but there isn't much else to his game.  The defence looks vulnerable to any kind of high ball - that equaliser was almost a carbon copy of the goal we lost in the league cup.  Murphy offers a lot, but I think he needs a stronger centre half next to him - Meggatt doesn't look like thr best option which perhaps explains why Adams was at centre half last week.  I can only assume Rose isn't thr answer given how little he's played.

1 hour ago, davidkennedyshand said:

I thought the tactics were almost spot on today. I agree we need an experienced striker but we made ourselves hard to beat which after a couple of heavy defeats was a must.

First half i totally agree.  Then midway through the second half there was a clear invite for St Mirren to come on to us with very little desire to go forward. 

Sometimes that is ok for the last 10.  But to do it with 20 to play is asking for it.  A tactic that McCall uses often with a similar rresul most times.  

Don't particularly think it is a tactic to be fair. More a team short in confidence who need a win dropping too deep far too early. And ultimately St Mirren barely tested Fleming. Basic defending again cost us although the defence was far better as a unit today particularly as the midfield broke up play better.

If Meggatt continues on from today we might be okay if we can at the very least get a wide player and centre half. With a two week break we will hopefully have Moore back on two games time.  

It would be interesting to know how many last minute goals we lost last season compared to how many we scored. I can only recall us scoring one, against Stranraer. Twice this season already. It's clearly been a problem throughout the last couple of years. 

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

It would be interesting to know how many last minute goals we lost last season compared to how many we scored. I can only recall us scoring one, against Stranraer. Twice this season already. It's clearly been a problem throughout the last couple of years. 

We've let 3 late ones in this season IIRC, St Mirren twice and Hamilton.

Personally I don't like Ayr sitting in for a result, it seems to cost us more than it saves us.

On 8/27/2016 at 18:06, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

"Laugh at teams like St Mirren" :lol:

To be fair to him I witnessed Ayr scud us a few times in the mid to late 90's, they had some strike force with James Grady and Eddie Annand. Had some awful times at Somerset. We were in a close relegation battle maybe 2003ish? I think Ayr and Raith went down and we got promoted soon after and had a long stay in the top flight and only crossed paths in the cups 3-4 times. We have turned full circle now and we are being laughed at again :thumsup2

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair to him I witnessed Ayr scud us a few times in the mid to late 90's, they had some strike force with James Grady and Eddie Annand. Had some awful times at Somerset. We were in a close relegation battle maybe 2003ish? I think Ayr and Raith went down and we got promoted soon after and had a long stay in the top flight and only crossed paths in the cups 3-4 times. We have turned full circle now and we are being laughed at again :thumsup2

Your honesty is admired. Ayr had a decent team back then.

Andy Johnstone stand out again for the 20s this evening running the show in a 9-1 win. Surely Sunday is a perfect opportunity to have Johnstone on the right and McGuffie on the left and have some wingers play!

To be fair that team they played tonight weren't great, but he continually tore them apart, still going full pelt in the 90th minute.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

To be fair out team late 90's early 00's were as a result of Bill Barr paying big wages to attract these kind of players from starting spots in SPL. If you look at us over say the last 30 years where we have not had that money we have mostly been part time and spent more time in 3rd tier. There is still the feeling and expectation among some we should be consistently at that peak level. I think we need some continuity at the club McCall job us up in his first full season after Roberts nearly took us down to our all time low. I think we do have a decent core with guys like Devlin, Fleming, Adams and Gilmour. Obviously hope we can stay up this year but if we don't we need to keep these guys and the manager. Given where the club as just 16 months ago a slow start in the championship is not something to get back up on. I think this is Dumbartons 3rd or 4th season in this league now so it can be done but there will be plenty knocks on the way. Can only do that for so long though while part time. The club needs investment in infrastructure and the youth system. The Barr days had no lasting legacy more long term approach may have put us at a Hamilton or Ross county type of footing.  Should have ambitions of getting the u20's in the top level in not too distant future. 

St Mirren I think should be okay in the longer term just stuck with too many oldies until last couple of seasons so quite a change going on there. Danny Lennon seemed to get them consistanly around 8th in premiership and think there was just a boredom or repetitiveness there but doubt their budget would often be in the top 8th. 

Archived