Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Ward thinks health is most important(if that's why he's been so inactive- I've no idea if this is actually the case and he's been off the radar so long I can't remember)
Joshua thinks wealth.
Froch thinks Wembley, in front of 80,000.

Sorted, HTH.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

He can also be accused of being a homer due to barely having left Oakland in his pro career.

Was it not proven fact that he had travelled further than Froch for their fight?

Ward is an excellent boxer nobody disputes that but apart from his super 6 opponents the only name of note is Chad Dawson. Compare that to Froch who fought Pascal before the super 6 and Bute on completion. Ward could and should have fought Bute first as well as the only top SMW not to take part in the super 6 but instead Froch took the gamble.

15 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

Either that boy had a granite chin or his punches aren't that hard I'd say a mixture of both.

Think you're right.  Despite being completely overmatched Brand has only been knocked down once in his career and Ward looked like he was going for the single shot/1-2 KO but he doesn't have the power of Kovalev of course.  Would've been nice to see Ward move up a gear and throw more combos but he's not a risk taker and at the end of the day scored one of the clearest shut outs in recent history and never put a foot wrong.

Think we should put Ward's inactivity behind us now.  Can't do much about injuries and like I said with Garcia I'd prefer to see boxers fight their way out of contracts even against a string of tin cans rather than stay inactive at a competitive level.  Boxing politics are rarely as straightforward as that though.  The main thing is that he's back and the Kovalev fight has now been officially set and is one of the best match ups in years.

16 hours ago, Maximus Decimus Meridius said:

I need to balance that out by posting this picture, don't open it if you are eating this is the thing of nightmares 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20160807_102935.jpg

A depressingly predictable Hearn scouse hometown show.  Looks fucking horrific.

I see Flores is ranked a highly 26.  Good to see the best cruiser weight in the world looking for the best fights

Good piece here on it,  Such a shame it's not Brieidis then and reading how it could possibly pan it that may be 3/4 fights down the line.

Bellew take a voluntary defense against the 37-year-old Flores rather  forcing him to fight his #1 WBC contender Mairis Briedis. That’s a good thing for Bellew, beause he very likely would have been steamrolled by Brieidis in lightning fashionion.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2016/08/tony-bellew-vs-bj-flores-october-15/

On 07/08/2016 at 08:32, The Grass Is Greener. said:

How do the casual fans on P&B see the Ward v Kovalev fight going? Seen a lot of people saying its a genuine 50/50, is anyone willing to make a prediction? 

Theres really no point in me saying because it would be a guess.

Sorry, just saw this now TGIG.

Yeah it's about as 50/50 as it gets in the sport just now but having said that there's definite potential for a Kovalev KO win or a wide Ward decision on the cards.  Should be a fascinating match up of styles for people who like the chess match type of thing although there's a large chance it can end up with the same reaction that Mayweather - Pacquaio did amongst those that don't follow the sport so much.

Edited by Pete Rockwell