Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Fully agree with the sentiments above. For a number of seasons, he was your stick on right back in team of the season for the SPL/Premiership.

Solid professional and a very underrated full back. Hopefully Saints find a place for him in the staff. A true club legend.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TW will be gone before Mackays ready for that.

Archie took charge at Thistle aged 35 after a short spell overseeing our youths. Any reason why Mackay's career can't follow a similar trajectory?

Gary Mackay Steven has two wishes left.

One of my abiding memories of the cup final is Mackay, heading for his own goal line in the last few minutes, turning and leaving GMS for dead. He must hate him [emoji1]

Dave Mackay encapsulates the reasons for this squad's successes over the last few years. There's the obvious stuff - he's an organiser, hard working and very good defensively. But he also had a sometimes underrated talent on the ball and, most importantly, that little bit of belief and swagger that can be the mental difference between nearly winning and winning.

When we won at Ibrox 3-1 in the cup last year, Mackays post-match chat wasn't about what a great achievement the result was, it was a tirade about why saints weren't considered favourites for the game in the first place. That self belief and confidence has what's made this team so enjoyable to follow over the last five years or so.

30 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

One of my abiding memories of the cup final is Mackay, heading for his own goal line in the last few minutes, turning and leaving GMS for dead. He must hate him emoji1.png

Dave Mackay encapsulates the reasons for this squad's successes over the last few years. There's the obvious stuff - he's an organiser, hard working and very good defensively. But he also had a sometimes underrated talent on the ball and, most importantly, that little bit of belief and swagger that can be the mental difference between nearly winning and winning.

When we won at Ibrox 3-1 in the cup last year, Mackays post-match chat wasn't about what a great achievement the result was, it was a tirade about why saints weren't considered favourites for the game in the first place. That self belief and confidence has what's made this team so enjoyable to follow over the last five years or so.

That reminds me of the interview with Fraser Wright after the Cup Final when he was pretty direct with the interviewer "it's nonsense that they were favourites"

25 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Don't know why but got a feeling he won't be any good as a manager. He never overly impresses me in interviews or as a pundit.

I agree. He has however been earmarked for the job. Wouldn't be averse to Mackay being Davidson assistant if he does all the relevant badges etc. As he surely has a lot to offer the club. 

The meedja hyped them up but we Kent we'd beat thum and we did. :lol:

Dave Mackay has to be kept at the club in some capacity. He's been such a good servant to us and will be a huge asset as part of the back room team as well. 

I'd be surprised if we never found a role for Mackay. That won't stop folk making up numerous rumours about Steve Brown forcing him out the club in the intervening months before a new roles announced though.