Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

While we're at a risk of being relegated I can't see us offering many PCA's. 

Likewise players probably not overly keen to sign them either with the risk of ending up going down. 

That's what's held us back for the last 3 seasons. That and having clowns in charge so hopefully there's something approaching a strategy in place now.

3 hours ago, The Saintee said:

That's what's held us back for the last 3 seasons. That and having clowns in charge so hopefully there's something approaching a strategy in place now.

I don't disagree with you but after the clowns lost us a fortune I can see us looking to be even more prudent. At least while in relegation contention, for the next few years at least. With pre contracts anyway. 

8 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don't disagree with you but after the clowns lost us a fortune I can see us looking to be even more prudent. At least while in relegation contention, for the next few years at least. With pre contracts anyway. 

Yeah the last few years were a real chance for the club to properly move forward and get everything sorted that, effectively, wore Tommy Wright down and out of the job.

Instead we seem to have taken a few steps backwards.

This window interesting so far in that theyve clearly had the 3 signings in mind and managed to get them done though, and im not convinced theyll be overly cheap either.

Ultimately we'll struggle to ever do anything in advance if we're not securing our safety until April. We really, really, need a season again where we're virtually safe in February/March and also have a plan in place for the Summer.

Still think the decision to hire Flaherty is the root cause of a lot of problems. Someone competent in there and everything's kept under control better and a lot money/time isnt wasted.

Edited by RandomGuy.

22 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Individually, I don't think you've ever had a great squad on paper. Some great players, sure, but I've always viewed you as a cohesive unit. A club that gets limited players buying in and giving 100% and incredibly difficult to beat. You had experience littered throughout the team at your peak that again, individually wouldn't be that attractive a proposition for another club's fans to sign such as your Frazer Wrights, Steven Anderson's, Brian Easton's, Paddy Cregg's, Tam Scobbie's etc. You also had players that could turn on the talent a wee bit and just win a game out of nowhere such as Wotherspoon, O'Halloran, Swanson, Craig etc and if that failed you had the likes of Murray Davidson ready to try and bulldoze the opposition.

It's that, that you've lost. You're no longer an absolute chore to play against and that's what Davidson lost you guys. I always used to come on here and brazenly predict your bubble was about to burst as your latest batch of older experienced players were winding down, but you managed to keep cycling the team... until Davidson went mental and seemed to rip that right out of your side with about 30 signings and not many fit that mould of steady eddie that you need to be successful and even fewer fit the mould of being game changers.

Absolutely spot on assessment of Saints. Sort of surprising that others have really copied the template really.

Saints really built a foundation on the above approach and reaped the rewards. The additions of the likes of Kerr, McCann and Clark took it to another level, but was far too quickly dismantled. Like every other team, the 'golden squad' was torn apart by selling best assets. Although, while I'd imagine if you asked 100 Saints fans for the best team from the last 15 years, you'd get 100 answers, but would imagine it would be heavily weighted to the c2014 squad than 2021.

Davidson tried to change a very identifiable structure and it failed. Levein I'd say is more like Wright in his thinking.

10 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Davidson tried to change a very identifiable structure and it failed. Levein I'd say is more like Wright in his thinking.

Be interesting to see Davidsons transfers at Queens Park, and whether him changing approach every window with us is just his way of doing it, or whether it was him trying to work out the best way to do it.

Welsh as the first signing feels like his last Summer with us? Where he prioritised experience to build around.

Do agree Levein should be more similar to Wright, in terms of a balanced spread of ages/experience across his signings, but we'll likely see more punts from abroad too. Think that was vaguely his policy at Hearts until it went off the rails and he forgot how important domestic players are.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Need to try and shift some of the excess before any more come in. A few have been told they are free to go. 

Which I think everyone understands. Frustrating for the new management team (as well as the new boardroom) that the previous employees and the one before that in Davidson's case ,left it in such a bad state.

Can only assume Turner-Cooke is on peanuts, otherwise he'd be off already?

Feel like Ballantyne, Crawford, and Jephcott, are NAPs to be told theyre free to leave.

Outside shouts of Brown or Sprangler in there too?

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can only assume Turner-Cooke is on peanuts, otherwise he'd be off already?

Feel like Ballantyne, Crawford, and Jephcott, are NAPs to be told theyre free to leave.

Outside shouts of Brown or Sprangler in there too?

I think you’ve nailed each of them tbh.