Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Was thinking this the other day, that a notable difference in is this season is our inability to pick up draws in close games.  Another 3-4 points on the board right now would make a huge difference.

Generally in our time back in the Premiership any season where we weren’t getting many draws we got a good number of wins.  We’re not managing many of either right now.

Here’s our W-D-L record by season:

2010-11.   11-11-16

2011-12.   14-8-16

2012-13.   14-14-10

2013-14.   15-8-15

2014-15.   16-9-13

2015-16.   16-8-14

2016-17.   17-7-14

2017-18.   12-10-16

2018-19.   15-7-16

2019-20.  8-12-9 (covid)

2020-21.  11-12-15

2021-22.  8-11-19

2022-23.  9-5-17

9 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The away record will probably be enough but we could lose all 4 home games we've got left.

For a team that plays to draw every game we dont actually draw that many, although maybe i'm being harsh as I have no idea what we're trying to do or how we're expected to score/create chances.

At last Calum you are admitting it!!!

10 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

At last Calum you are admitting it!!!

I dont think ive even heard him explain what tactics we're employing.

Seriously though we've no pace so arent counter attacking, no big striker so not really long ball, no wingers , dont score from set pieces. Please if anyone know what the plan is I'd love to know.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

I dont think ive even heard him explain what tactics we're employing.

He explained our style of play earlier this season.

But a trip to Tynecastle on Saturday will allow his side to get the ball on the ground again without fear of bobbles and bumps.

“We’ve got a lot of good football players in the team just now,” said the Saints boss.

“Previous St Johnstone teams have been about hard workers and there have been other good football ones as well at times.

“I think this team is one of the latter.

“You can see it by the passes we try to play.

“Our pitch is a difficult one to do that. We have had to adjust our game for it.

“We want the players to play football rather than launch it.

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

If my maths is right (so I expect to be corrected) we’ve played 83 games since the Scottish Cup final and won 22 of those. 3 of those against teams in divisions below

There we are

AE3A28B3-A0EF-48D1-8BA6-E6362AD6B7D3.jpeg

Wonder why the club arent releasing the attendance figure from Saturdays game?

Edited by RandomGuy.

Nearly half our points total came in a 24-day, 6-game period.

A run that included two teams getting players red carded against us when they were ahead and VAR overturning a red card of our own and backing the referee for a very soft disallowing of a Kilmarnock goal. Also the late Clark equaliser at St Mirren where we put the ball in their box literally once in the final 30 minutes.

Record over the remainder of the season: Played 25, Won 5, Drawn 3, Lost 17, For 23, Against 45, GD -22, Points 18.

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

Nearly half our points total came in a 24-day, 6-game period.

A run that included two teams getting players red carded against us when they were ahead and VAR overturning a red card of our own and backing the referee for a very soft disallowing of a Kilmarnock goal. Also the late Clark equaliser at St Mirren where we put the ball in their box literally once in the final 30 minutes.

Record over the remainder of the season: Played 25, Won 5, Drawn 3, Lost 17, For 23, Against 45, GD -22, Points 18.

Fucking hell. Get that on twitter 

The 45 goals against (3 clean sheets in those 25 games) show that we can't defend, yet he hasn't changed the personnel or the system at all.

Matthews always plays. Wright and Montgomery always play. Gordon and Considine always play. McGowan would likely have always played if he hadn't been injured, after which Mitchell and Brown rotate about. 

Concededing nearly 2 goals per game, never shutting the opposition out, yet it's the same thing on show every week.

Especially at home, we have a centre back we don't need on the pitch AND it isn't even helping us defend better as some sort of offset to the attacking limitations it puts on the team.

It seems so fucking simple, yet Davidson is completely oblivious to it and, as we head into the middle of another week, you can't shake the feeling that those upstairs just simply don't care enough to do anything about it.