Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Very much feel like hes come in, made it simple, and got the best out what he has, but im unconvinced the way hes gone about it works long term and hes got arguably the 3rd/4th strongest squad in the division to muck about with.

That's true – it's one thing coming in and simplifying/inspiring an existing team for a couple of games, quite another to do the develop the vital stuff for long-term success – identifying good signings, building youth pathways and so on. It will be a nice problem to have, but if Macca does very well in the next few weeks – in the same way Robson has done for Aberdeen – Saints will be pressured to keep him on, even though he has no management track record or experience.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

That's true – it's one thing coming in and simplifying/inspiring an existing team for a couple of games, quite another to do the develop the vital stuff for long-term success – identifying good signings, building youth pathways and so on. It will be a nice problem to have, but if Macca does very well in the next few weeks – in the same way Robson has done for Aberdeen – Saints will be pressured to keep him on, even though he has no management track record or experience.

Aye thats the worry, 6 games is far too small a sample size for us to know what MacLean is about. The rebuild (restructure?) of the squad needed this Summer isn't really fair to dump on his shoulders either (although MacPherson should help with that, and I think St Mirren fans praised his recruitment when there).

For me he'd have to be absolutely sensational, with the squad and style of play completely transformed, for us to consider going straight onto him without looking elsewhere. I still think I want someone with experience as our next manager, but also someone with no links to us or the league. Fresh ideas needed. No clue if someone like that is possible or even the best option. 

Was that the same Robbie Deas who was 100% signing for Livi about a month ago? It’s rumour time and I doubt anyone from that division is signing for a team who might get relegated! I include us in that right now. 

16 minutes ago, Widge said:

Was that the same Robbie Deas who was 100% signing for Livi about a month ago? It’s rumour time and I doubt anyone from that division is signing for a team who might get relegated! I include us in that right now. 

Especially when he has a chance of going up with his current side.

12 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Check this out from Reddit. The guy is working his way through the league it seems.

Not for me. I actually prefer our current badge over the old one. It looks intricate in a world of increasingly oversimplified logos. The kits are rats as well, far too dark a shade of blue - verging on Dundee colours. 

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye thats the worry, 6 games is far too small a sample size for us to know what MacLean is about. The rebuild (restructure?) of the squad needed this Summer isn't really fair to dump on his shoulders either (although MacPherson should help with that, and I think St Mirren fans praised his recruitment when there).

For me he'd have to be absolutely sensational, with the squad and style of play completely transformed, for us to consider going straight onto him without looking elsewhere. I still think I want someone with experience as our next manager, but also someone with no links to us or the league. Fresh ideas needed. No clue if someone like that is possible or even the best option. 

MacPherson’s recruitment in January 2019 was really good - signed guys like Hladky, Popescu, Dreyer, Muzek etc who all contributed to us going a good run and staying up.

Think Callum Davidson’s statement shows that it was a mutual decision and he knew it was time to go. It’s a nice touch and whilst we as fans may not have agreed with his managerial abilities I don’t think he was badly thought of. For me it’s a nice touch of class and I think he’ll always be remembered fondly by saints fans for what he’s done for the club and I think he’d be welcomed back any time, just not in the dug out! 

I felt that Davidson generally came across terribly in interviews and I never warmed to him. He seemed to be completely lacking in personality, courage, charisma and presence, but none of that necessarily makes him a bad person. It just isn’t the type of personality that’s going to make a squad of players want to play for him when things start to get difficult. I’m glad that he’s ended things on a gracious note. 

Edited by The Real Saints

Speaking of interviews, what a difference MacLean’s are. It could well just a be a honeymoon period, but really impressed with everything I’ve watched and read so far. I’d be wanting to run through brick walls for him…

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Speaking of interviews, what a difference MacLean’s are. It could well just a be a honeymoon period, but really impressed with everything I’ve watched and read so far. I’d be wanting to run through brick walls for him…

Screenshot_20230421_061255_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e67e1030192a70b9db89d6a3260a812f.jpg

Undoubtedly an element of familiarity breeds contempt but agree that MacLean has been a breath of fresh air and there seems.to be much more positive energy.

A good result and performance tomorrow gives those upstairs a headache. Or maybe it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Undoubtedly an element of familiarity breeds contempt but agree that MacLean has been a breath of fresh air and there seems.to be much more positive energy.

A good result and performance tomorrow gives those upstairs a headache. Or maybe it doesn't.

Well, maybe. Fingers crossed results go our way, but if they do and MacLean is up for consideration I hope the club will explore his plans and the ideas and contacts he has before any decision is made. It's one thing re-energising a group of players who have the talent to be much higher in the league, quite another to rebuild a squad. I'm not saying Macca can't do it, but the next six games won't provide evidence either way.

I like MacLean's enthusiasm, but I'd expect nothing less from anyone who's been given a chance like this. Of course he's going to beat the drum and demand positivity. Who wouldn't? The other side of this is why, in the two years MacLean has been first time coach, this positivity was so rarely evident in team performances. Was Davidson that dominant?

13 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Well, maybe. Fingers crossed results go our way, but if they do and MacLean is up for consideration I hope the club will explore his plans and the ideas and contacts he has before any decision is made. It's one thing re-energising a group of players who have the talent to be much higher in the league, quite another to rebuild a squad. I'm not saying Macca can't do it, but the next six games won't provide evidence either way.

I like MacLean's enthusiasm, but I'd expect nothing less from anyone who's been given a chance like this. Of course he's going to beat the drum and demand positivity. Who wouldn't? The other side of this is why, in the two years MacLean has been first time coach, this positivity was so rarely evident in team performances. Was Davidson that dominant?

I suspect that Davidson probably was fairly dominant, but at the same time, much much harder to influence just too much as an assistant.

It's probably also a bit of MacLean also bring clever enough to know that he needs to say something different from Davidson, even if he was thinking much the same things anyway.

I think the term 're-energising' is bang in what is needed. Everything has felt flat and stale for a while. It's pretty much the cause of the 'new manager bouce' often referenced. The players don't become better overnight, just maybe more energised.