Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

going 2 vs 2 in the middle wouldn’t have affect the game too much I don’t think. 

Especially when their two was Newell and Doyle-Hayes, who dont have an ounce of pace between them.

I would agree Rudden is shite, but given May is our only fit decent striker, you need to play him which means playing two up top, which currently means playing Rudden. 

And that in turn means dropping McLennan or Spoony, which isn't much of a sacrifice currently.

22 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Whoever takes the job has one hell of a rebuilding job next year

Yep. 

I’ve seen a lot of talk about how this is a good squad but I just don’t see it. 

Squad of over 30 and we don’t have a good, blooded goalkeeper among them, we have 1 recognised right back who’s been dropped in favour of a right winger and a player who’s lack of pace renders him pretty useless at full back in the last 2 games,  we have nothing below Phillips and Macpherson in midfield and only 1 fit striker capable of playing at this level and he’s rubbish as a lone striker.  That’s without mentioning the centre backs, I don’t fancy playing any of them right now because their collective confidence looks shot and at left back, where we have a left wing back/winger playing because the other option there clearly isn’t trusted/isn’t good enough. 

Plus we still have Parish, Gallacher, Crawford, MOH, Gilmour, Ballantyne, Bair, Vertainen on the books who are probably all below me in the pecking order and a handful of permacrocks who haven’t been seen at any point this season or since September. Plus Carey.

Even from the ones I haven’t mentioned, which ones would get another premier league gig if they left us tomorrow? Gordon maybe, Phillips, maybe Spoony if we’re going on past endeavours and if someone thinks they can get him back to that level. 

The squad needs gutted. Again. 

Edited by Kyle

Goalkeeper

23/24: Sinclair + 1 new

Out: Matthews

Undecided: Parish

Matthews can go. Sinclair not getting game time before now an issue and we dont know exactly where he is. He should get the cup group stage which could clear things up. Parish as 3rd choice while coaching might be sensible. Hes shit but id rather have a 3rd choice than none and wasting money signing another if we can just park him there makes sense?

Centre backs

23/24: Gordon, Considine + 2

Out:

Undecided: Mitchell

Dont like McGowan as a CB. Not sure about Mitchells contract situation at Millwall, if possible then sign him, if hes not available then move on. Need a LCB who can actually run, and more pressure on Gordon vital. Deas and Mitchell on frees would be incredible but probably isnt realistic.

Full backs

23/24: Brown, Gallacher + 2

Out: Montgomery

Undecided: Booth

Dont like McGowan as a full back. Brown id keep as a squad option. Liked Gallacher but not sure why hes never returned. Contracted for next season so see no harm in it. We wont get Montgomery permanently. Booth i dunno, fitness wise he must be a huge issue now but if he comes back fit hes fine.

Centre midfielders

23/24: MacPherson, Phillips, McGowan + 3

Out: Hallberg, Ballantyne, Gilmour, Davidson

Undecided:

McGowans best fit for me, as a holding midfielder. Drastically need numbers in here though especially with MacPhersons fitness issues. Hallberg i think will go as hes too expensive. Gilmour/Muzz are easy departures too. Ballantyne harder as hes contracted but i imagine he'd get a club easy so let that happen. Probably too early for Ferguson so another loan higher up the system.

Attacking midfielders

23/24: Carey, Wee Max + 1

Out: Crawford

Undecided: Wotherspoon

Players i think fit central areas better than out wide, but you dont want sitting deep central. Carey deserved dropped and is annoying, but he wont be leaving and i think this type of role fits him best. Max needs integrated into the squad too. Unsure what to do with Wotherspoon, his performances dont justify a deal at his age so cheap + squad role or nothing, unless he gives us more in the next 5 games.

Winger

23/24: Wright + 2

Out: McLennan, Murphy 

Undecided:

Only need 2 as Carey/Max/Wotherspoon could cover here if it got desperate. The 2 new ones absolutely need to have pace though, and a brain of some description. McLennan has some form of potential but its not worth sticking with. Murphy isnt bad but hasnt done enough to justify a likley high wage.

Strikers

23/24: May, Clark + 2

Out: Rudden, Bair, Vertainen

Undecided: Kane

At least one of the 2 new ones has to be able to play alone, whether thats Kane or a new signing. Bair probably hardest to get rid of but feels clear hes not going to be useful.

So aye. tl:dr

Out (12): Matthews, Montgomery, Hallberg, Ballantyne, Gilmour, Davidson, Crawford, McLennan, Murphy, Bair, Rudden, Vertainen 

In (12): GK x1, CB x2, FB x2, CM x3, AM x1, W x2, ST x2

Ones who could be in either (5): Mitchell, Booth, Wotherspoon, Kane

So either 17 out, 12 in, or 12 out, 7 in

Thats my thoughts anyway. The contracted punts will likely cost us to get rid of, but hopefully losing some expensive contracted players help it balance out. Probably lose quality, which will lead to another drudge of a season, but if you get the profile right then it might work out better, either way i think we're in for a shite season again anyway until the squad starts to clear of the dross. 

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In (12): GK x1, CB x2, FB x2, CM x3, AM x1, W x2, ST x2

Ones who could be in either (5): Mitchell, Booth, Wotherspoon, Kane

So either 17 out, 12 in, or 12 out, 7 in

Considering we had a bit of a rebuild last summer, this is seriously impressive. Agree with pretty much everything you’ve said. If Kane were to get a new deal and get near the level he was before that’d be really positive, but it’s a massive if. Don’t envy the manager coming in. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Considering we had a bit of a rebuild last summer, this is seriously impressive. Agree with pretty much everything you’ve said. If Kane were to get a new deal and get near the level he was before that’d be really positive, but it’s a massive if. Don’t envy the manager coming in. 

Think last seasons "rebuild" was always going to be just a first step to rebuilding the whole squad. As in build an experienced core again then this Summer you start surrounding them with younger players.

But with Davidson you were never sure, he'd probably have just tried to keep this exact squad again.

New manager has some major decisions to make. Gus MacPherson is probably going to leant on regardless of who comes in, MacLean or a fresh face, so hopefully he has an idea of whats needed.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think last seasons "rebuild" was always going to be just a first step to rebuilding the whole squad. As in build an experienced core again then this Summer you start surrounding them with younger players.

But with Davidson you were never sure, he'd probably have just tried to keep this exact squad again.

New manager has some major decisions to make. Gus MacPherson is probably going to leant on regardless of who comes in, MacLean or a fresh face, so hopefully he has an idea of whats needed.

Only the way I understood things but I got the impression MacPherson had a decent idea about the squad and what’s needing done. Proofs in the pudding though 

Imagine winning a double then leaving us with that shite?

What a fucking shitshow and there's absolutely no guarantees that we can sort it out staying in the Premiership. Players like Deas will probably be in the premiership next season even if we are not. Callum has rightly taken the can, now Flax should be held accountable for his part in the mess created.

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Imagine winning a double then leaving us with that shite?

What a fucking shitshow and there's absolutely no guarantees that we can sort it out staying in the Premiership. Players like Deas will probably be in the premiership next season even if we are not. Callum has rightly taken the can, now Flax should be held accountable for his part in the mess created.

How do we even sell ourselves to folk now, when competing against other top flight sides?

No idea who the manager will be, dont know what division we'll be in. 2 relegation battles in a row, with potentially 2 play offs in a row. Squad has had a huge turnover in the past 12 months.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

How do we even sell ourselves to folk now, when competing against other top flight sides?

No idea who the manager will be, dont know what division we'll be in. 2 relegation battles in a row, with potentially 2 play offs in a row. Squad has had a huge turnover in the past 12 months.

That's why we need a very decent appointment and it has to be someone who either has players in mind, as most should at this stage of the season tbh, or someone who has the ability to convince players that Saints are the right choice and at pretty short notice.

I'm with Kyle. 

The squad is shite. If we stay up this season then we're bottom 6 fodder for a year or two and in more relegation battles until another manager sorts out the mess made by Davidson and Flaherty. 

Too many starters are just bottom of the league/championship level.

Fucking Cammy MacPherson.

Edited by The Saintee

Interesting how similar it felt after this game as it did yesterday?

Performance was devent enough you had hope, but also felt like we were too happy to settle for a point when three were there for us.

Next game was a 1-0 loss to St Mirren, followed by an interview you could be excused for thinking was just a few weeks ago 😂

St Johnstone need to "roll their sleeves up", says Callum Davidson, after they slipped to the brink of a Scottish Premiership relegation play-off with defeat at home to St Mirren.

Greg Kiltie's second-half goal left the Perth club eight points adrift in second bottom with three games left.

But with Dundee losing at Aberdeen, St Johnstone remain five clear of automatic relegation.

"We have to stay in the league," manager Davidson told BBC Scotland.

"It's in our own hands, it's up to us what we do.

"They can go home and sulk or they can roll their sleeves up, not accept that performance, and make sure we put in three really good performances to give us a chance to stay in the league."

Edited by RandomGuy.

23 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Admittedly says a lot but he’s very low down our list of concerns, for me

My point is that he's now arguably a guaranteed start when fit. That's how far we've fallen player wise. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting how similar it felt after this game as it did yesterday?

Performance was devent enough you had hope, but also felt like we were too happy to settle for a point when three were there for us.

Next game was a 1-0 loss to St Mirren, followed by an interview you could be excused for thinking was just a few weeks ago 😂

That interview. I’ve seen it multiple times in the last 12 months. 

40 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Mind that first half at Dens? Fucking hell. 

I miss Rooney a lot. 

I think it was the first time I see Booth really struggling with his injury. I thought we were down until Rooneys goal.