Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Ben Doak will probably not be coming to Scotland on loan for the same reason that Kieran Bowie didn't come to us despite being our main target since about February.

A non English player, particularly one who is highly rated and has a high chance of eventually making the 25 man squad, will most likely be loaned out to English teams in their teens to obtain home grown status for Premier League registration after they hit 21.

To do this, they need to be training 3 years in England between 16 and 21. If Doak was loaned to Scotland this season it means that he'd lose a year of training accrual under the English FA.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ben Doak will probably not be coming to Scotland on loan for the same reason that Kieran Bowie didn't come to us despite being our main target since about February.

A non English player, particularly one who is highly rated and has a high chance of eventually making the 25 man squad, will most likely be loaned out to English teams in their teens to obtain home grown status for Premier League registration after they hit 21.

To do this, they need to be training 3 years in England between 16 and 21. If Doak was loaned to Scotland this season it means that he'd lose a year of training accrual under the English FA.

Youre massively overthinking it.

Doak wont be loaned to Scotland this season because he'll be playing for Liverpool this season.

I see quite a few fans getting their knickers in a twist (about a lot of things at the moment) about how long it's taking to get the cross border deals done. 

This is because they're under 23 and it needs to go via FIFA. Someone may be able to explain the intricacies of why that is. Probably double checking international clearance is approved due having to confirm no compensation is due. 

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I see quite a few fans getting their knickers in a twist (about a lot of things at the moment) about how long it's taking to get the cross border deals done. 

This is because they're under 23 and it needs to go via FIFA. Someone may be able to explain the intricacies of why that is. Probably double checking international clearance is approved due having to confirm no compensation is due. 

It's because Alan Preston needs to get the sign off from big Kev Jefferies..... 😉

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Do folk for a second seriously think we'd be in the running to sign Doak on loan? 😂😂 

Has a certain wind up merchant been on that wind up again? 😂

Don’t think Mr. Kennedy was involved in this one

With this signing and the expected McLelland one, you can see what MacLean is trying to do. Signings that are a mix of young unproven guys dropping down from EPL development squads, mixed with English League 1 level players, in the hope you get a nugget or two, acknowledging that this comes with a risk. I'd imagine that as we get closer to the window closing or beyond, we might see a couple of older unattached or loan signings coming in to give a bit of freshness and experience.

On the basis that Mitov is as a minium no worse than Matthews, Jephcott can get say 10 goals for the season and at least one of the CD's is reasonable enough, then you might just need another couple of players (midfielders ideally) that are decent enough and we might, might, have just enough not to finish bottom. That's on the basis we have more hits than misses on the signings, which I'd be skeptical about tbh.

Of course, another couple of defenders coming in might just give one or two existing ones food for thought, which might drag some of the others up too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youre massively overthinking it.

Doak wont be loaned to Scotland this season because he'll be playing for Liverpool this season.

Yeah but I've seen his name mentioned as a potential loan move a few times.  Even if Liverpool did loan him out it would not be up here, mainly as he's already past SPFL level and secondary because of the reasons I've outlined

Not a fan of MacLean saying the "real stuff" starts now and labelling the group stage "pre-season".

Screenshot_20230802_062227_Chrome.thumb.jpg.22fd53691e6d0c907eb5ce95782f31a7.jpg

Its a lazy way of trying to play down the shite results and also contradicts himself from before the games started where he talked about how important it is to get out the group and how they'd be taking it seriously and trying to win all 4 games.

Yup, can’t agree with that at all. You’ve already put your hands up and said it’s not good enough. Just leave it there and say you’re looking forward to the league. 

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Yup, can’t agree with that at all. You’ve already put your hands up and said it’s not good enough. Just leave it there and say you’re looking forward to the league. 

Not been a great few days for him, to me.

Stirling result dreadful despite the caveats, this interview, and i really worry that the latest signing is just a panic one put forward by an agency without enough thought into it as i dont think we need yet another inexperienced CB.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not been a great few days for him, to me.

Stirling result dreadful despite the caveats, this interview, and i really worry that the latest signing is just a panic one put forward by an agency without enough thought into it as i dont think we need yet another inexperienced CB.

It's been made I imagine because Parker will now be deemed not up to it after Saturday. Not even as a backup option. 

He can now go out on loan. 

7 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

It's been made I imagine because Parker will now be deemed not up to it after Saturday. Not even as a backup option. 

He can now go out on loan. 

Is Olufunwa any better?

Last time he played against a senior team was against Rochdale, who comfortably finished bottom of League Two, and he looked out his depth while getting sent off and giving away a penalty.

Is he going to such an upgrade on Parker it was worthy of giving him a 2yr deal?

Saddling ourselves with youths who arent up to it isnt much different to saddling yourself with ageing players who arent up to it. I hope this isn't the start of MacLean just chucking contracts at anyone, his approach thus far has been correct.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Olufunwa any better?

Last time he played against a senior team was against Rochdale, who comfortably finished bottom of League Two, and he looked out his depth while getting sent off and giving away a penalty.

Is he going to such an upgrade on Parker it was worthy of giving him a 2yr deal?

Saddling ourselves with youths who arent up to it isnt much different to saddling yourself with ageing players who arent up to it. I hope this isn't the start of MacLean just chucking contracts at anyone, his approach thus far has been correct.

What Parker produced on Saturday is describable as absolutely pathetic. The manager seemingly deemed it that was as well. Hence removing him at half time. On top of that Brown is injured again, that could actually result in this lad playing regularly to avoid Wright playing long periods at right back. Especially if we can't rely on Max to produce. 

As for the new signing. I've no idea if he's good enough. Does the manager know whether he's good enough? Not sure he will either. It's not like he'll have watched loads of him!

We've signed loads of unproven untested young lads in recent years, Daily, Sandford more recently and we'll never know if they'd have stepped up to the challenge when thrown in like Parker has been. If we're saying we trust the managers judgement then probably they wouldn't have though! Hence their release.

In the past we've signed others who've barely played while down in England and been a success. MOH for example. We've then also signed players who've played down in England at a decent level and been rubbish. Scougall etc. 

It's hard to judge either way but I reckon we'll soon find out. Either by this lad being thrown in at right back on Saturday from the start or potentially a replacement for Max to move Wright forward when chasing the game. 

I don't like loans but at least you can return to sender after 6 months.

If this lad proves to be a player then fair play but in terms of strategy, I'm disappointed. Is the manager convinced Olofunwa is better than what we have, which has been his line all summer? Surely he should have been in on trial first?

And then we have the lingering stench of Biscuits.

If we have held firm all summer then panic this week, I'll feel really let down.

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What Parker produced on Saturday is describable as absolutely pathetic. 

I think talking about any young academy player making his debut in these sort of terms is pretty cruel. The lad had the sort of first day that I'm sure many people have. He'll bounce back I'm sure with the right support from everyone.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think talking about any young academy player making his debut in these sort of terms is pretty cruel. The lad had the sort of first day that I'm sure many people have. He'll bounce back I'm sure with the right support from everyone.

We're not talking to his face. I'm sure the managers feedback was certainly harsher than that. He looked deer in headlights.

He already faced hundreds screaming abuse and booing nearly every time he touched the ball on Saturday because he'd given possession away again. I'm sure that will have impacted his confidence much much more than me referring to his performance as pathetic. 

15 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

We're not talking to his face. I'm sure the managers feedback was certainly harsher than that. He looked deer in headlights.

He already faced hundreds screaming abuse and booing nearly every time he touched the ball on Saturday because he'd given possession away again. I'm sure that will have impacted his confidence much much more than me referring to his performance as pathetic. 

If that’s what you thought about Parker’s performance I’d love to hear what you thought about Liam Gordon on Saturday