Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Regardless of what happens this season, at least we might have some of the joy and intrigue that football should bring coming back to us again. A few worried posts about how these signings are "gambles" and that's because they are, but isn't that kind of the point as well?

CD's signing policy felt like it was to remove every last bit of "gamble" out of the club, it was signing proven players who turned out to be exactly what we knew they were going to be. There's so many I've lost count but Considine, Carey, Murphy, McGowan, Clark, Crawford and so many more have turned out exactly as we knew they would - solid enough, just about kept us in the division but there was no joy, no mystery, their ceiling had been hit, they weren't going to improve, they didn't really have anything to prove and we were never selling them for a fee so it was money down the drain.

Our signings this summer might turn out to be pish, we might end up going down, but under CD and that playing style/policy we were never going to trouble the top six and would go down eventually - What we're doing now might put us down quicker, but it could also make us fun to watch, push for a top half place and Euopean football again and we might even get lucky and sell a few for decent fees to make up for the mess that's happened behind the scenes lately.

Of course I'm worried about this season, but at least I feel a bit interested and excited to see how these players and also the manager develop, it's better than having the same old pish like before.

Also slightly disagree that two year deals on these types of players are a huge risk, if they're dreadful there will always be an English League Two/Conference team who'll take them on, but nobody is ever going to take the likes of Considine or Crawford off our hands, so the gamble does feel lessened. 

3 loan appearances at forest green last season. 

“Dare” is seen as a bit of a risk, but I get why they’re looking at him. This one just feels like a bad decision. 

19 minutes ago, mizfit said:

3 loan appearances at forest green last season. 

“Dare” is seen as a bit of a risk, but I get why they’re looking at him. This one just feels like a bad decision. 

Theyve rejected the chance to sign him?

Sounds like an agent just hawking him about.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theyve rejected the chance to sign him?

Sounds like an agent just hawking him about.

Aye I get that impression it’s the agent trying to find a client. Should’ve clarified I was aware we weren’t after him, just felt it would be too much of a risk this one. 

I think a lot of our fanbase is going to moan about Smith, a lot.

He looks kind of weak sometimes and he loses the ball a lot. Hes so willing to take match winning risks though, seems like he tries proper defence splitting passes in every match so we get some good movement up front and you could have fun. Thinking of Mays runs in behind finally getting spotted.

Type of CM we need, I think. Hes "busy" and harries, is a risk taker, and doesn't hide from the ball either.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He looks kind of weak sometimes and he loses the ball a lot. Hes so willing to take match winning risks though, seems like he tries proper defence splitting passes in every match so we get some good movement up front and you could have fun. Thinking of Mays runs in behind finally getting spotted.

Type of CM we need, I think. Hes "busy" and harries, is a risk taker, and doesn't hide from the ball either.

I’ve always said I don’t care if a player loses the ball if he’s trying to be creative and do something productive. But you’re 100% right, there’s elements of our support who’ll be on his back instantly for losing it despite trying to play productive football. It’s a generational thing I think for the most part, but I’m all for taking chances and actually playing decent football, so bring it on. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sounds much better than some of the reviews from MK fans

Just now, PSJ.84 said:

Sounds much better than some of the reviews from MK fans

Seems like it either comes off for him a lot and hes seen as a great, hard working, creative player, or it never comes off for him and hes seen as a weak flaky player who just constantly loses the ball. Guess we'll have to just wait and see what we get, but the chances of us signing a creative player who constantly gets it right feels like it would be pretty slim so its a smart gamble IMO.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We could still do with having a Jamie Adams type in there.  McGowan does a job but suspensions and injuries will catch up with him this season.

Just now, double deluxe said:

We could still do with having a Jamie Adams type in there.  McGowan does a job but suspensions and injuries will catch up with him this season.

Been hoping for a deeper midfielder all Summer, as think Phillips/MacPherson better with a shield behind them so they can push up, but unsure how likely it was due to how many other positions needed filled. Seeing that Krasniqi was on trial makes me think he'll try and get one in if he can though, as I think thats the type of player he is.

It still annoys me to this day that Jamie Adams had his own song. Nowhere near worthy of such an accolade. Can also remember a fairly dark time when we’d not scored for about three months and there were people on WAP saying we should play him up front. The forum never recovered from that. 

Jody Morris was the one who ruined CMs for me, now all I crave is a hardy wee baller dominating in there.

Millar gave you bits, and Craig gave you the other bits, but Morris had it all.

A midfield of Morris, McCann, and Abeid, and I'd be in heaven.