Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

You've scored more in the last two games than you did the whole league season. I think it's fair to say Steven MacLean shouldn't ever get another managerial gig.

Nicky Clark has scored more in about 100 minutes of football this season than we managed as a team under MacLean.

Some sympathy MacLean never really got a chance to use him, but seeing how different this sides been since hes left, its a bit annoying we effectively gave everyone a 8 game head start.

19 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’m a fan of this version of Matt Smith. 

Hes class, but worry he'll end up having the George Williams about him where he spends his whole time here having things almost come off for him.

Improvement in him is wild though, a month ago he looked like a Gary McDonald regen who just hid.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes class, but worry he'll end up having the George Williams about him where he spends his whole time here having things almost come off for him.

Improvement in him is wild though, a month ago he looked like a Gary McDonald regen who just hid.

He’s either gonna score a fucking screamer or never score at all. Great bit of improvisation with the scissor kick towards the end. 

Think we're now up to 4 passable signings out of the crop from the summer now - Mitov, Sprangler, Smith and Robinson all look like they're at least capable players and there's one or two others who are threatening to join that list as well.  Smith is a great player to watch, such good feet and balance and very tenacious, seems to emerge with the ball when he has no right to numerous times in a match.  

We needed fresh legs earlier than we got them tonight. Kane and Clark both tired badly and it meant we didn't really have an outball. Slightly concerned we didn't try and address the left hand side either, Robinson was exposed against 2 or 3 numerous times in that second half, although to his credit recovered the situation well most of the time. 

I've never seen so many suicidal passes in our own half before, particularly in the first half. My voice was up about 5 octaves by half time. 

10 hours ago, mizfit said:

Heard a lot of similar comments. Seriously wondering what type of training we were doing as we’ve looked tired for the last 20 almost every match.

I don't think it's necessarily the training, although not ruling it out.

But so many of the squad have had such a disrupted year with injuries that they can't be close to peak fitness.

I guess the question then becomes is that just bad luck or something deeper?

Edited by Radford

26 minutes ago, Radford said:

I don't think it's necessarily the training, although not ruling it out.

But so many of the squad have had such a disrupted year with injuries that they can't be close to peak fitness.

I guess the question then becomes is that just bad luck or something deeper?

Maclean did seem to have an unbelievable amount of bad luck with injuries at the start of this season, I recall...

As always when a manager goes and suddenly the team get an instant win and increase in performance, Maclean must be thinking 'where was this when I was there?'. I suspect from his last interview he might have been a significant part of the problem though?

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

Maclean did seem to have an unbelievable amount of bad luck with injuries at the start of this season, I recall...

As always when a manager goes and suddenly the team get an instant win and increase in performance, Maclean must be thinking 'where was this when I was there?'. I suspect from his last interview he might have been a significant part of the problem though?

Much like Davidson, a big part of MacLeans problems seemed to be he couldnt adapt/succeed if anything went against him. Managers at this level need to be able to adapt to injuries etc., by knowing how to grind games and pick up wins/points and keeping the squad on an even keel.

He had back luck with injuries, and a team getting to know each other/the league, but it was clear he didnt know how to make us solid until those things settled down and then obliterating the players confidence in his final interview was just incredibly daft and signed his own death warrant.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Much like Davidson, a big part of MacLeans problems seemed to be he couldnt adapt/succeed if anything went against him. Managers at this level need to be able to adapt to injuries etc., by knowing how to grind games and pick up wins/points and keeping the squad on an even keel.

He had back luck with injuries, and a team getting to know each other/the league, but it was clear he didnt know how to make us solid until those things settled down and then obliterating the players confidence in his final interview was just incredibly daft and signed his own death warrant.

Fair enough. What is the injury list like now out of interest? Does Levein effectively have a full suit to choose from?

IMG_5779.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Fair enough. What is the injury list like now out of interest? Does Levein effectively have a full suit to choose from?

I think so, Drey Wright the only one i can think of from memory whos injured, and Ali Crawford i guess.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Progress in some players is remarkable. Smiths looked incredible in the last 2 games and we're starting to see him probe passes at defences, he'll miss a lot, but sometimes he wont. Thatll be massive to lessen the load on Carey.

We're definitely at a point now where its all about ironing out creases rather than trying to find the bedsheet.

Absolutely astonishing that, when you were winning last night, you were only four points off 5th - not bad going for a team who were apparently a stick on for the drop two games ago.

Drey Wright, Ali Crawford and Sam McClelland are the only players out at the moment. Drey and Sam out until new year and Crawford is unknown. 

28 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Absolutely astonishing that, when you were winning last night, you were only four points off 5th - not bad going for a team who were apparently a stick on for the drop two games ago.

Probably a reminder of how early into the season we still are.