Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's a meaningless cliche about fight, but watching Sidibeh square up to 3 County players at once and refuse to back down was the attitude we needed tonight. But it was just him, everyone else just squeals to the ref. Nobody even helped him in that situation either.

It was such a telling moment.

At every level of football from u18’s upwards you’d look for your players to get involved at moments like that to back their teammate in the melee.

It shows a togetherness, you mess with one you mess with all of us kind of thing and also lets your teammate know you’ve got their back.

I was watching that moment wondering when our players were going to get in there.. but only kimpioka eventually sauntered over. We basically just left Adama alone surrounded by 3 big county centre backs in his face.

I don't get Dan Phillips. I've never been particularly sold on him but his link to clubs like Hearts completely baffles me. I'm not sure he's got any of the basic footballing skills in his locker. He can do ridiculous pirouettes that I'm sure will look fabulous in a highlight reel, but honestly, what is he actually for?

Thought MacPherson was awful in the first half too. He was excellent at picking out the players in the opposition right enough. 

The day the release list comes will be cathartic. I want at least 15 names on there, not including the manager.

Spoiler

First game I've been able to get to all season tonight. Have been able to grasp the ineptitude from a distance but always good to see it with your own eyes, a few things just honestly seemed amateurish though

1) were our players wearing studs? So many on their arse throughout, Sidibeh slipped every time he tried to change direction

2) Are we unable to pump up the balls properly or was someone on either bench trying to perform some kind of regular juju from the sidelines, never seen a ball changed so often throughout a game.

3) Saints players are scared of the ball, especially from throw ins, just stand watching and sort of point into space but never run after it, bonus sh*tbag points to those who hide behind players and then jump up and down and ask for it knowing it can't come to them (looking at you Cammy MacPherson)

4) Speaking of MacPherson, I think he genuinely has really nice technique and strikes a ball well, but so do I and I'm sh*t. So many times he plays a needless 20/30 pass in the air without any pace so he can stand and admire but it actually puts his teammate in trouble every time, 

5) I think terms like dinosaur and game has passed them by are used far too much, but Levein really seems out of his depth tactically, the crowning glory was leaving four players up on the halfway line when County had a corner late in a game, no depth, nobody on the edge of the box to offer any kind of transition, just a small wall of players vs their big wall of players to hump a long ball at. A lot of football is just playing percentages, having players in the best places to succeed and just putting odds in their favour, Levein doesn't do that. It's why well-organised teams are boring but get results, we are badly organised, lack athleticism and lack quality, it's not a good recipe

6) Another reason Macpherson has really irritated me, early in the first half we pinned them in and won a throw in near the corner flag and a chance to keep pressure, he took it 30 yards further up the pitch and very nearly played one of their players in on goal, it's just mystifying to watch sometimes, I can understand getting beaten by a better team, but why can't we make logical decisions?

7) What the hell happened to Liam Gordon? I remember him as a fairly tenacious player, aggressive in the tackle and in the air, solid and dependable, he looks like he can't move and can't anticipate at all. I think it was him who was very lucky not to give away a penalty when he was ball watching and took a wild swing in the box, also completely sh*t it and contributed to that calamity before we scored when we nearly played their striker in from a throw in when trying to chase the game, he looks terrified and it's a problem

My big concern is that we're not good enough for the playoffs, Raith and Partick both seem to have goals in them but concede a lot, but we just concede easily and make attacking look very difficult indeed

25 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don't get Dan Phillips. I've never been particularly sold on him but his link to clubs like Hearts completely baffles me. I'm not sure he's got any of the basic footballing skills in his locker. He can do ridiculous pirouettes that I'm sure will look fabulous in a highlight reel, but honestly, what is he actually for?

Thought MacPherson was awful in the first half too. He was excellent at picking out the players in the opposition right enough. 

The day the release list comes will be cathartic. I want at least 15 names on there, not including the manager.

Has Phillips somehow earned a decent move on the back of a few nice touches in games vs Celtic when we're already 3 down?

Absolutely disgraceful. The second half was a complete farce - something resembling a diamond midfield with Nicky Clark running around at the top of the diamond looking absolutely lost, Phillips contributing nothing as usual and MacPherson losing runners, pretending to press, hiding when teammates needed support and trying to ping cross field passes he’s not capable of. Never want to see him play for the club again - watching Dhanda stroll past him for the County goal then throwing his arms up, he’s a bad player with a worse attitude. 

Mitov, Sidibeh, Wright, Keltjens, Carey and May all tried hard but hampered by the rubbish they are playing with, the terrible manager and team set up. 

There is enough to work with to keep the club in the Premier league but I’ll be shocked if we can get over the line with the current manager.

4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Seen/heard people having a go a Sidibeh in the last couple of weeks.

4 goals & really should be 2-3 more from a player coming from a low level, not sure what they were expecting?

Some of the stuff up the scoreboard end of the East Stand was incredible. 

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I was watching that moment wondering when our players were going to get in there.. but only kimpioka eventually sauntered over. We basically just left Adama alone surrounded by 3 big county centre backs in his face.

Aye. I was looking for Gordon, without trying to pile more criticism on him, to get involved there. Or even Mr Angry Carey, who seems to just take it all out on team mates instead.

A moment for an experienced player to send a simple, easy, message about them all being in it together and having each other's back, missed.

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

His only quality is his physicality. There was potential when he signed for more but he's never developed and now he's just nothing. Can't defend, can't attack, can't press we'll, can't be trusted in possession.

It's harrowing that the midfield pairing that relegates us will be him and MacPherson when you think of all the pairings in the past. 

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

Thank f**k it's not just me.

I've seen a lot of St. Mirren supporters online saying they'd love us to have a look at that Phillips lad from St. Johnstone and I genuinely thought there must be two players called Phillips in your side as they can't have seen anything for it to be Dan Phillips.

He looks like a guy who knows he’s going and doesn’t want to get injured.

He and MacPherson sold the jerseys at Dhanda’s goal last night. Nice passing and movement and a great finish but it’s easy when nobody even tries to stop you.

Mitov

Keltjens - McGowan - Gordon -  Gallacher 

Wright - Phillips -Franzcak

Carey

Clark - Sidibeh

There that's what I'd play the final game of the season assuming Gallacher is fit enough to play (albeit doubtful). If that's the case then stick Keltjens to the left and bring Matt Smith into the midfield.

That alone shows how poor this squad is, I was genuinely struggling to come up with a starting 11 I want to see on the pitch. For all Nicky Clark is anonymous at the minute, that's not his fault for me. He's playing in a position that he has never played in his career. He can actually hold the ball up and for me needs to be the furthest forward as Sidibeh's strengths aren't holding it up, it's scrapping and forcing defenders back towards their own goal. Carey is a total liability in a defensive structure, so let him float around the pitch and try and make things happen as he's the only one. As for the midfield, McPherson can get fucked, I'm loathe to play Phillips as well but we don't have much option. I also do not understand the unwillingness to play Fran, ok he's 16 but my god he tries and is enthusiastic and willing to drive forward, something we've missed all bloody season.

Do I think we'll get close to the above, absolutely not, but I can dream.

It doesn't matter who we play, the quality just isn't there. For all Dhanda was handed the goal, who in our squad scores that given the same opportunity?

There wasnt a lack of effort last night, just a complete lack of quality where it matters and a squad who know that and have no belief in themselves.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I just want Levein to f**k off today. 

You wonder what he does at half time tbh. Felt like everything was just so lethargic after the break when really it's an all or nothing situation so they should come out flying.

Just now, PSJ.84 said:

Any reason we’re in the upper on Sunday?

Going to guess some nonsense about security. Very frustrating though on several fronts.

We have to see this through with Levein now, come what may. That's something the board are going to have to live with.

I don't see the point in negativity right now. That'll come whether things are resolved this Sunday or next.

25 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Any reason we’re in the upper on Sunday?

Motherwell supporters traditionally invade the pitch last game of their season so think it's to prevent away supporters climbing on the park after them when they inevitably approach the away end.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Motherwell supporters traditionally invade the pitch last game of their season so think it's to prevent away supporters climbing on the park after them when they inevitably approach the away end.

That used to be a thing but as far as I'm aware it hasn't happened since we were cited after the play-off.

We had United at home in the last game of the season last year and they were in the lower section.