Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

They're completely different players but Cammy has more grit to him and replaced Sven well when he got crocked. I've been sympathetic to him since the mid/end of last season and thought he developed into a fine squad player.

I don't actually know what's worse, Max seems to have no confidence left and just plays a short ball every time which might find his man but does nothing for us, of MacPherson who in his head seems to think he's Xabi Alonso and just spraying passes left and right which never come off but maybe one day they will

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

MacPhersons issue is he's been here 3 years and never put a run of good performances together. 

He's more likely to be crocked for another 5 months next season than he is to perform well enough to justify taking that risk.

We'll need a smaller squad with every player justifying their money next season, will he do that? 

I think this is a fair point really. He's had rotten luck injury-wise.

17 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

Two most significant players keeping us up this season from absolutely wee guys from the lower reaches of England. That's what we should be aiming for.

As long as they are more like this and not Cleveland Taylor or Michael Coulson-esque

1 minute ago, GorbalsMags said:

I'm old enough to remember Nick McCoy...

Interestingly banned from all official football activities for life for match fixing while playing in Australia.

7 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

I think this is a fair point really. He's had rotten luck injury-wise.

Is it bad luck though? Or is it a lack of willingness to pick himself up and get on with it? I get the feeling he's a bit of a shitebag tbh. Certainly no Murray Davidson. 

4 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Is it bad luck though? Or is it a lack of willingness to pick himself up and get on with it? I get the feeling he's a bit of a shitebag tbh. Certainly no Murray Davidson. 

Don't really buy that as such. "Playing through the pain" in your 20s just means your body is in ruins in your 30s

Went to a United game with my grandad a few weeks back, and thought McClelland looked good, was far better than he was for us to start the season and seemed faster as well. 

Is it maybe possible he had some sort of niggle when he joined which slowed him a touch? If not it's possibly just match fitness. 

Quite interesting to see people credit Levein for recruitment. It was 100% his downfall at Hearts. He was always good at digging out the odd good signing,  but in his second spell some of the absolute dross he recruited was frightening. 

4 year deal for Loic Damour. Joel Pereira, Glenn Whelan at 35 and allowed to stay in England, 4 year deal for Malaury Martin, Cole Stockton, Rafal Grezelak, Aidy White, Craig Wighton. Every single one a monumental waste of money and ended with us being relegated.

Maybe he couldn't handle the increased budget and stopped trying to be smart, but recruitment is not something I'd list as a strength with him. It especially gets worse the comfier he gets.

Just now, Tony Wonder said:

Quite interesting to see people credit Levein for recruitment. It was 100% his downfall at Hearts. He was always good at digging out the odd good signing,  but in his second spell some of the absolute dross he recruited was frightening. 

4 year deal for Loic Damour. Joel Pereira, Glenn Whelan at 35 and allowed to stay in England, 4 year deal for Malaury Martin, Cole Stockton, Rafal Grezelak, Aidy White, Craig Wighton. Every single one a monumental waste of money and ended with us being relegated.

Maybe he couldn't handle the increased budget and stopped trying to be smart, but recruitment is not something I'd list as a strength with him. It especially gets worse the comfier he gets.

Recruitment now goes through big Gus since Callum Davidson tried his best to bankrupt the club

24 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Hopefully, for you guys, today doesn't mean that Levein is staying.

He was staying regardless, unfortunately. They were allowing him to agree contracts with potential signings even before today 😔

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Keep McGowan as backup, Wright too & we better already have Taylor Steven signed up.

He's a smashing prospect having seen a lot of him on the Killie highlights following Bobby Wales.

Just like Wales & Sutherland, who's also on loan at Alloa from St Mirren,  All 3 will have a line of suitors regardless if in contract or not

4 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

He's a smashing prospect having seen a lot of him on the Killie highlights following Bobby Wales.

Just like Wales & Sutherland, who's also on loan at Alloa from St Mirren,  All 3 will have a line of suitors regardless if in contract or not

Sutherland I hope will get game time next season at Saints, smashing prospect. 

Well,

That was a positive outcome in the end. The showed a bit of character and of course ability and got a bit of luck. 

That can't continue next season we know that. If it does... Unlikely to survive as surely there won't be another team as poor as Livi was this season! That also shouldn't be the minimum target either "scrape by". 

Personally would rather Levein and co go. After the Aberdeen & Hibs performances at McDiarmid I did defend them a bit as i thought/hoped that was the signs of their game plan working (we've not seen anything like that since). Hopefully though with another window they can build a team and prove us wrong. 

Ending the season on a moment like today while I don't want to celebrate scraping to achieve mediocrity, it was a good moment that gave us something to at least enjoy after all we've spent and put up with 😂I was shitting myself towards the end (I'm on a forum postin, it's no surprise to anyone I take it seriously).

The season ending on a positive note though allows the fans to look forward to now, the new owner - the potential positives and excitement of that on top of the inevitable football fan hopeful optimism of a new season (That very same hope that kills you).

Right, names lads!! Who are we signing?!! Who do we want to sign?

Posted (edited)

Waking up to the reality of what faces us after the euphoria of yesterday, cause life comes at you fast.

A LOT of work needed to ensure we aren't in the same situation (or worse) in 12 months.

But the takeover situation presumably makes it hard. And the manager's popularity remains an elephant in the room. Do the support really have the stomach to get behind Levein? I'm already hearing folk talking about if this happens, or that happens, then maybe it'll be better. But will it really?

There is always room for respect based on him keeping us up but that can't stray into sentiment and nothing about Craig Levein enthuses me.

I just hope next May that yesterday doesn't seem like the ultimate example of a double-edged sword...

Edited by Radford