Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Notice elsewhere we are one of two premier teams after Mathew Cudjoe 

Hopefully it's him or McPake. Signing both, and Steven, would be pointless IMO.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Still seeing accounts down south claiming we’ve accepted bids for Sidibeh. 

Would be inclined not to believe many of them. I reckon it would have ended up in the proper media outlets by now if a move was imminent.

I've seen some EFL account claiming top end championship clubs and even some yoyo premier League clubs are interested. 

He's done well but not well enough to be signing for Championship title challengers. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

He knows himself that he needs to prove it at this level first to get the best possible move in future. One more season, even by January, then we'll all know how good he really is, at the moment it's all potential.

I reckon wee Adama and Mitov will be Saints players come the summer 

However I think January will be different story for for Mitov 

The wee striker has a wee bit to prove yet and things could go either way for him

9 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I reckon wee Adama and Mitov will be Saints players come the summer 

However I think January will be different story for for Mitov 

The wee striker has a wee bit to prove yet and things could go either way for him

If we're going to lise Mitov, I'd rather now than January.  If he goes now we'd get a decent fee and the chance of signing a decent replacement.  If he goes in January, it will be for buttons and the pool of available keepers will be smaller. 

Ideally he stays for the season and leaves for nothing.  If we have him all season he will be a very valuable part of the team.  If he then leaves for nothing, so be it. We got him for nothing and he's been terrific for us.

Don't know how to word this without it sounding more aggressive than it's meant, but are folk just trying to sound clever by saying Sidibeh isn't quite clearly going to be class?

Everything about him, from his personality to his ability, screams that he can make it as far as he's able to go.

It's a shame it took him so long to get a move to Europe.

Posted (edited)

Agreed. I'd be really shocked if what Sidibeh produced towards the end of the season was a flash in the pan, he looked excellent. One of those players who can do a bit of everything and his strengths all work well together too. 

Edited by Kyle

Sidibeh has proven nothing so far imo. He does have potential and the athletic attributes to succeed but so did Theo Bair. Standing out in a side that's as bad as Saints were last season isn't quite the platform you think it is and I'd go as far to say ANY moderately decent striker could've returned the stats Adama did.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't know how to word this without it sounding more aggressive than it's meant, but are folk just trying to sound clever by saying Sidibeh isn't quite clearly going to be class?

Everything about him, from his personality to his ability, screams that he can make it as far as he's able to go.

What does that mean? Couldn't you say the same about anyone on the planet? We all have potential, limited by our abilities.

1 hour ago, Dooj said:

What does that mean? Couldn't you say the same about anyone on the planet? We all have potential, limited by our abilities.

Depends on work permits, and him running out of years as he's already 25.

He seems to learn quick as f**k so he could easily learn how to properly use his body and see what's happening around him over the next year, as there's already been progress with that.

I could see him playing regularly in a top flight in a top 5 league, but it hinges on him making the right moves etc., it won't be his ability that prevents it.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are people saying that? Is it not just the common opinion that he’s relatively unproven and it’s hard to predict how high he’ll go?

I would love to see him go on to excel in a top league after 18 months with us, and there’s definitely potential for that to happen. On the other hand if he went to a championship club down south and ended up a fringe player then that wouldn’t shock me either.  There’s so many variables in moving to a new club in a new league.

Better quality defenders can handle raw pace much better, so he’ll certainly have to adapt to add more to his game, but as you say so far he’s taken everything in his stride and picked things up quickly so he’s got a lot of potential to get better. 

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Are people saying that? Is it not just the common opinion that he’s relatively unproven and it’s hard to predict how high he’ll go?

It's this "still has to prove himself" thing I'm on about. To me he's already shown enough to know he can, and should, play at a higher level.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's this "still has to prove himself" thing I'm on about. To me he's already shown enough to know he can, and should, play at a higher level.

So you're saying he's proven at this level and deserves a big move? After 5 goals and running about like a headless chicken?

Right you are.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

So you're saying he's proven at this level and deserves a big move? After 5 goals and running about like a headless chicken?

Right you are.

I think he's shown he can go beyond this level, yes. 

Some players just have it, and have the drive to make the most of it. He's that for me.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think he's shown he can go beyond this level, yes. 

Some players just have it, and have the drive to make the most of it. He's that for me.

I dunno he’s still very raw in many aspects of his game and he’s 25 so it’s not like he’s not played a lot of football. Ok he’s not at this level but he’s not a youngster. I get what you’re trying to say and I totally agree, his attitude, application and improvement even in 4 months show he’s clearly able to get better. The negatives are how easily he learns how to take a man on and use his body to shield the ball/win fouls. I get that’s not the best and key parts of his game, but they’re still important parts of it all that need improved. 

I love the guy already and hope he continues to improve to the highest level. But you’re disagreeing with people saying he hasn’t shown anything whilst saying he has fully, the truth is it’s somewhere in the middle. He’s shown glimpses and attitude, but there’s no saying he’d do better at a higher level. 

37 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The takeover now has SFA approval. Slowly but surely getting there 

Good news.  Hopefully we'll see a cranking up of recruitment over the next couple of weeks.  I know it's early, but we need about 10 signings at least so need to start moving on that front. 

It’s going to be sad seeing the Browns depart Mcdiarmid. It shouldn’t be forgotten what they did. 

However, it’s evident it’s needed fresh eyes. I have full faith in the new owner making the right decisions. 

For starters, please please please please put some iced fucking drinks in the stands.