Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We're only 2/3 signings away if everyone else stays at the club and stays fit.

Sidibeh could easily just chuck it in a tantrum wanting a move at any point, Kimpioka will be getting PCA offers soon and his head could leave the fight if he knows hes away, Carey might (understandably) have to take a leave of absence soon, and then Wright is probably overdue another bad injury.

Suddenly you're weak up front and out wide again and looking for 2/3 in both positions alone.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're only 2/3 signings away if everyone else stays at the club and stays fit.

I’m intrigued with the thinking that 2or 3 signings change things. What positions would you target and who would they replace. I don’t see any of our defensive options as up to scratch so while 2 or 3 players may improve things we would still need to play players that are not good enough 

10 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

I’m intrigued with the thinking that 2or 3 signings change things. What positions would you target and who would they replace. I don’t see any of our defensive options as up to scratch so while 2 or 3 players may improve things we would still need to play players that are not good enough 

Who's to say a commanding CB doesn't inspire and organise a couple of players that are already there?

There hasn't been many games this season, last night apart, when we haven't actually been in the game at some point. Sort out the silly mistakes and drill them defensively, this defence isn't ideal collectively currently but a freshen up with a player or two could be all it takes for fortunes to turn.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Who's to say a commanding CB doesn't inspire and organise a couple of players that are already there?

There hasn't been many games this season, last night apart, when we haven't actually been in the game at some point. Sort out the silly mistakes and drill them defensively, this defence isn't ideal collectively currently but a freshen up with a player or two could be all it takes for fortunes to turn.

That's kind of how I feel. If we'd been sitting here on 7 points - as we really should be but for ridiculous injury time goals conceded due to the lack of someone who will just attack the ball at the back - then got pumped off Celtic I think we'd be far less concerned at the moment.

On 26/09/2024 at 09:56, Theyellowbox said:

I'd say that Saints would have been good for Scott Brown, but not convinced he'd have been good for Saints. I actually quite like that he was a snarling arsehole as a player as I'd want that on my team and he has made a decent start to being a manager. However, if he has had a bit of a toys out of the pram moment about being interviewed for a second time, then in reeks of 'don't you know who I am'. What he was as a player is irrelevant. As it stands, he is a manger who was sacked by Fleetwood, but is doing a good job with Ayr.

Arguably, Webb would know little about Scott Brown other than what Brown tells him and what he saw in front of him and the club are rightly judging candidates and what they see in front of them and not what they did as a player, which I like.

Of the two named candidates, I'd be happy with either, but would prefer Lynch as has more experience. Obviously the 'mystery European' could be interesting. Difference between the could be paper finn

🧐 😉 Although I did think Lynch would get the job. 

Whoever leaked the names of the interviewees to the media is an idiot. Valakari looks like the 4th choice now regardless of whether he was or not. 

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Whoever leaked the names of the interviewees to the media is an idiot. Valakari looks like the 4th choice now regardless of whether he was or not. 

Who cares? Certainly not Simo

Or Andy Kirk by the way, he's delighted.

Edited by tree house tam

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Who cares? Certainly not Simo

Or Andy Kirk by the way, he's delighted.

I do for one, I'd like there to be some semblance of competence on display from those currently running the club. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I do for one, I'd like there to be some semblance of competence on display from those currently running the club. 

Don’t complain, we are only a decent manager, 3-4 signings, no suspensions or injuries and a proper structure behind the scenes away from being decent. 

yNKhc-potential-st-johnstone-managers(1).thumb.png.c1ab9ecf37ac9a93fc49f2ffee0bc3fc.png

FWIW.

Honestly, Valakari seems a bollocks out boom or bust type manager and I think a proper mental cult hero isnt going to be a bad thing in terms of getting fans on side?

Like he seems the type of manager (on a very, very, small look at things) who'll genuinely play 4-3-3 with Sidibeh/Kimpioka/Kirk up front and try and bludgeon sides to death with pace running at their defence.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

They've went through the interview process. The only fault I can see is the names being released but since we basically knew the Americans were gobshites that's not really surprising.

Negotiations fail all the time, its a shame its public but it won't be the last time it happens to someone.

The issue will come if Valakari doesn't take it. Thats the public "shortlist" wiped out.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

yNKhc-potential-st-johnstone-managers(1).thumb.png.c1ab9ecf37ac9a93fc49f2ffee0bc3fc.png

FWIW.

Honestly, Valakari seems a bollocks out boom or bust type manager and I think a proper mental cult hero isnt going to be a bad thing in terms of getting fans on side?

Like he seems the type of manager (on a very, very, small look at things) who'll genuinely play 4-3-3 with Sidibeh/Kimpioka/Kirk up front and try and bludgeon sides to death with pace running at their defence.

Immediate thought from those stats...

Slower more passing based and what do our current group of players struggle against? Teams to sit back and allow our central defenders play out... Can't wait for us to lose goal after goal like the County one last week.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

They've went through the interview process. The only fault I can see is the names being released but since we basically knew the Americans were gobshites that's not really surprising.

They've gone through the process, had one withdraw and then went back to him the next day to be told no again, had another withdraw then made their choice and agreed compensation before establishing personal terms for their choice who then pulled out when he realised our offer was magic beans and 6 watermelons. We've then had to go with the person who now looks like the 4th choice (and given the constant leaks, the only hat still in the ring) with our tail between our legs. 

We will have people say no to us, I've no problem with that, but whoever is leaking the names to the press has made the whole process look like a shambles when it probably hasn't been. 

Edited by Kyle