Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Thought John Beaton was very good last night but if anything was lenient towards Celtic. A couple of their players were very lucky to avoid bookings. Saints players were incredibly disciplined and rarely went to ground.

I don't think telling fans to "get tae f**k" or saying they make you "embarrassed" is helpful. I don't agree about the reaction from one side but would rather make my point why not than just dismiss their views. Everyone is entitled to a view on how they see the game.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Time to stop f*cking about and get Swanson starting imo.

Few people saying Kennedy was poor again so you'd assume he'll be taking his place shortly. Shame it's Celtic again next week, Motherwell had a run of tough games last season and it seemed to completely stunt the confidence they'd built up, I worry this run of games will be doing the same to us.

Felt a bit sorry for Kennedy yesterday as you saw how frustrated he was getting with his performance. Was actually glad he had a couple of (poor) efforts at goal after cutting inside, even though there were possibly better options, as at least he became aware he's in there to make an impact. I've felt at times he's filled a jersey and not done a lot wrong, but had no influence on the game at all.  Don't think I've seen him beat his man yet, and he's played very few balls into the box; he usually turns back and plays it to Tanser, or keeps it too long and loses possession.

Swanson came on and brought an aggression and determination that we'd been sadly lacking.

I also feel neither Alston nor Callaghan are suited to taking a touch and finding a pass to keep us in possession. Neither has a particularly good first touch in a crowded centre midfield. They both like to drive forward in support of attacks, and close down and make interceptions, and will grab goals, but they're quite similar in style, and I think we need Liam in there who at least sits and helps us keep a midfield shape, at least until Davidson is back.

Definitely notice a lack of 'leaders' in the team. In previous years, one of  Mackay, F Wright, Ando, Midge, Maclean, Muzz.. take your pick.. would have been absolutely bollocking someone if we were making mistakes, or losing goals. It just feels that everyone's kind of quietly looking around blaming each other.  

After next weeks game I'd like to see us get a shape and formation and stick with it for a few games.  I did have a concern at the start of the season that as we had quite a few options, we would never settle on a team as Tommy loves to tinker with the side.  You can tie yourself in knots trying to come up with formations to deal with the opposition, and at some point I'd like to see us just pick our best players and give the other team the worry. If a player performs, he stays in the team. If he doesn't then after a game or two he's dropped.  It is tough to do against the better teams obviously.

Unfortunately we're almost into October, and we still don't really know what our best team is.

Lots of fair points well made there.

I'll give Kennedy time to find his role in the team but what maybe disappointed me most yesterday, when you accept the fact he was having a poor game going forward, was how content he was to let Tanser have to deal with Morrison one-on-one. Thankfully he did alright but it wasn't due to having Kennedy helping out.

There's been a couple of games where he's been heavily involved and we kept getting the ball to him (much like Hearts did with Morrison) but in recent weeks, that hasn't happened and you worry which in which direction he's headed with Swanson back on the scene.

Alston has half the attributes to be a good central midfielder but is lacking in the other half required. As said, his touch isn't the best and he's not defensively aware. The big positive is he can go by a man and, better still, he registers attempts on goal in every game. He could he suited to an advanced role in a midfield three but that leaves us with two new wingers with nowhere to play.

Callachan looks like another Gary McDonald, he'll do away fine but we aren't looking at the next club legend

I don't think TW is far away from knowing what he thinks his best team is. The question is whether it actually is our best team though...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Anderson, Craig, Muzz and Swanson all back in next week, tbh.

Anderson won’t come in, despite losing two goals the centrebacks were fine for the most part. It was the lack of protection in wide areas and down the middle where Hearts were getting joy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Anderson, Craig, Muzz and Swanson all back in next week, tbh.

Clark

Shaughnessy  Kerr  Anderson  Foster

Davidson Craig

Wright             Alston              Swanson

Watt

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Clark

Shaughnessy  Kerr  Anderson  Foster

Davidson Craig

Wright             Alston              Swanson

Watt

I don't like the defence but midfield/attack looks alright for games against stronger teams. Bring McMillan in for Craig in games against the weaker ones.

In terms of leaders, I think we need Foster (who has already bemoaned the lack of talking on the pitch in the press this season) and Craig to step up at least until Davidson is back in the side. No one else seems capable  of doing that, other than Gordon who is well down the pecking order at centre back.

My overarching feeling about this team is that we're still desperately short of a Chris Millar in midfield, and it's going to affect where we finish this season. We've got great options in attacking areas and I'm happy enough defensively, but there's a huge hole in the team despite have plenty of options  in central midfield. Craig is the closest thing we have to that and his defensive discipline has improved but I can't ever see him ever being fully comfortable taking on the duties that Millar used to undertake in the team. 

Edited by Kyle

We could have Scougall central, who's willing and able to get the ball and find passes, and probably perfect as a 10 in this new style, but that's obviously not happening.

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes it's  hard to imagine how much of a boot in the baws it must be to see an Ipswich youth team player in the squad ahead of you, purely to keep his parent club happy.

Tbf it's not just Scougall, does Nydam really deserve a spot on the bench ahead of McLean or McCann, they all look like they'll struggle to cope physically if chosen regularly.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It may have but him behind Watt with Danny and Drey either side is definitely worth a shot, we're still paying him so make him work for his money.

Nah TW has made his mind up, seems he signed him without knowing what type of player he was.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

seems he signed him without knowing what type of player he was.

This is the most frustrating and annoying thing about the whole situation. Wasted a big wage (for us) and 18 months of the lads career, purely on guessing that cos he was wee and skilful he must be a wide player.