Edinburgh City

I don't like criticising individual players but Callum Antell has cost us a point with that fumble. Not been impressed with him at all since he signed, hopefully he's just finding his feet and will improve. Didn't think there was too much between the sides today but if we can't beat Montrose at home then we're definitely finishing last.

Mr Blobby was happy to be back home at Meadowbank again on Saturday after being given a pre-match ban at Stirling Albion last weekend by their Chief Health & Efficiency Officer on the grounds that he was a safety risk. I wonder if Annan Athletic would be more relaxed about inflatables if "Mr Blobby Goes to Galabank"?

Mr Blobby and Nutmeg Magazine advertising at Meadowbank.jpg

Got to admit it's hard not to root for Edinburgh to stay up, especially when Cowden are in freefall and clubs like Montrose are in existence despite Forfar, Arbroath and Brechin all being far superior and more meaningful clubs in their area. Hopefully the results start flowing soon. I'm sure once we secure promotion in February Coughlin will do you a favour and send you Thommo on loan to send the Cowden scum down.

Mr Blobby was happy to be back home at Meadowbank again on Saturday after being given a pre-match ban at Stirling Albion last weekend by their Chief Health & Efficiency Officer on the grounds that he was a safety risk. I wonder if Annan Athletic would be more relaxed about inflatables if "Mr Blobby Goes to Galabank"?

Mr Blobby and Nutmeg Magazine advertising at Meadowbank.jpg

He's grown.He looks about 6ft tall now.Mr Staypuft in Ghostbusters eventually if that keeps up.

14 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

He's grown.He looks about 6ft tall now.Mr Staypuft in Ghostbusters eventually if that keeps up.

Yes, Mr Blobby sustained a thigh injury on his way to the Stirling ground last week. He's got a slow leak, so we had to puff him up extra-large on the way into the Meadowbank match, otherwise he deflates pretty quick and doesn't last out the whole game.

Mr Blobby happy to be at home in Meadowbank Edinburgh City v Montrose (2).JPG

14 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I was actually studying that photo looking for my mates from the old Meadowbank Thistle days, but from what I've heard they're more likely to be in the directors' box!

There's definitely an old Meadowbank Thistle fan in this shot.. but in saying that, some other old Bankies fans have chosen not to follow the Citizens for various reasons. (Die-hards revolt story is featured on the back page of the City Fanzine issue #5 - Out, October 1st) 

Mr Blobby Plymouth Argyle Fan2wp-image-2130965841jpg.jpg

23 minutes ago, Emfaefifeyahoorsur said:

I'm sure Mr Blobby will be made very welcome at Annan and he will not be missed by the tannoy man either.

Brilliant! Is there segregation at Galabank or can we sit in the main stand? The surrounding areas look like standing only.

Yes, Mr Blobby sustained a thigh injury on his way to the Stirling ground last week. He's got a slow leak, so we had to puff him up extra-large on the way into the Meadowbank match, otherwise he deflates pretty quick and doesn't last out the whole game.

Mr Blobby happy to be at home in Meadowbank Edinburgh City v Montrose (2).JPG

I think the" deflates quickly"might be applied to all City fans from 3pm onward on Saturdays.

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

I think the" deflates quickly"might be applied to all City fans from 3pm onward on Saturdays.

Lowering supporters expectations can dampen the blow. We're always looking on the bright side at Meadowbank these days.

"15 years of working in football has made it clear to me that discounting is no effective alternative path to sustainability. Price mustn’t be a barrier to fans, but it’s engagement that has a stronger influence on whether or not they return. Sure, winning will get them coming back too, but you can’t control that, can you? In my more despairing moments of existentialist angst, I often wonder whether the solution to this is for clubs to simply lower supporter expectations. As a Sunderland fan, I think I’d warm to a strategy defined by terms like ‘scraping through’, ‘looking for the positives’ and ‘battling’. But I’m consoled by the knowledge that any club that follows my advice below can look forward with much more confidence." Mark Bradley, CEO of the Fan Experience Company.

GordonD said in an earlier post, " I was actually studying that photo looking for my mates from the old Meadowbank Thistle days, but from what I've heard they're more likely to be in the directors' box! " The image of fans at the Edinburgh City v Livingston Betfred Cup tie. Some Thistle die-hards were at this game. They went up the back. Could be them standing. (old rebels to the end) 

Edinburgh City v Livingston. Meadowbank Thistle die-hards aplenty at this game..jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

Don't let him get to you. In our first season Meadowbank went for about ten games before picking up their first points. Eventually we ended up third bottom of the table, on 23 (2 points for a win in those days), ahead of Cowdenbeath on 21 and <ahem> Forfar, on nine.

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Don't let him get to you. In our first season Meadowbank went for about ten games before picking up their first points. Eventually we ended up third bottom of the table, on 23 (2 points for a win in those days), ahead of Cowdenbeath on 21 and <ahem> Forfar, on nine.

Meadowbank Thistle had 14 losses on the trot if you count the League Cup games too. Thistle's crowds were a bit up and down depending on who the visitors were. Lowest seems to be 178 v Queen of the South. City are doing better in that respect averaging around 400-ish so far.

Meadowbank Thistle Losing Streak 1974.jpg

City press release today:

Edinburgh City FC are delighted to announce the signing of former Manchester City, Millwall and Yeovil Town midfielder Marc Laird. The 30 year-old Edinburgh-born player has made over 250 League and Cup appearances south of the border and also enjoyed spells at Leyton Orient, Southend United and Tranmere Rovers.

City Manager Gary Jardine, who knew Laird as a youngster before he left for Manchester City, was happy to oblige when the player asked for training facilities and the player himself was impressed with both the welcome he received and the quality of player in the squad. Jardine commented “Marc is a quality footballer who is vastly experienced having tasted success in being promoted with Millwall but more recently helping Yeovil Town to stay in the Football League last season. The players are working extremely hard to turn things around just now and bringing in someone of Marc’s quality will give everyone at the Club a lift”