Edinburgh City

City played well first half and would've deserved to go in 2-0 up at halftime 👏

That was encouraging as, on paper at least, we have a very poor squad this season and I'm expecting a long struggle all year.

Our defence is utter shite and Hibs strolled through easily second half.

Anyone know what's actually wrong with Liam Fontaine?, as we've missed him badly since March.

we defo still need minimum, a proper first choice goalkeeper, two proper defenders and a good striker to replace Robbo's goals. 🙏

• Div changed the title to Edinburgh City

Gave a really good account of ourselves yesterday. 

I thought the defence actually coped quite well but that goalkeeper needs to move about a bit quicker, I'm not going to doubt his shot stopping abilities yet but he needs to move on his toes a lot quicker. 

We've kept the majority of core players together for the upcoming season so i reckon we will be OK. 

Our number 25 looked excellent 

15 hours ago, Tenkay said:

City played well first half and would've deserved to go in 2-0 up at halftime 👏

That was encouraging as, on paper at least, we have a very poor squad this season and I'm expecting a long struggle all year.

Our defence is utter shite and Hibs strolled through easily second half.

Anyone know what's actually wrong with Liam Fontaine?, as we've missed him badly since March.

we defo still need minimum, a proper first choice goalkeeper, two proper defenders and a good striker to replace Robbo's goals. 🙏

Regarding the defending, we saw this all last season against full time opposition, we can go toe to toe with them but the legs tend to go during the second half, it didn’t help that Hibs put 11 fresh players on at half time.

The squad is all ready quite heavy defensive wise, Fontaine (although not everyone’s cup of tea) will be a game changer when he’s back but on a positive note both Stirling and Brian were back on the bench.

I think we’ve been spoilt Goalkeeper wise over the last couple of seasons, which can clearly be seen with both Schwake and Mutch stepping up a level the following seasons.  With no disrespect to Sam, without a loan from a full time team, I can’t see us getting another keeper of that calibre.

The big loss in midfield was Craigen but it looks like Robbie Leitch has been brought in to fill that role but he still needs to prove himself.

Attacking wise, as much as I loved Robbo, it wasn’t working for him at the end of last season and that was reflected in his attitude and I think it was  probably the right choice for him to move on.  As long as Shanley stays fit, he will score goals.  Ouzy (when he gets back from Love Island) needs to pull his weight this season and hopefully more game time will allow this.  I don’t know much about Russell McClean apart from he’s not long back from a bad injury and was mainly used as a back up striker at Dumbarton over the second half of last season.

I think we need to be a bit more realistic with our prospects for next season as this will be the first for a while where we’ll be spending within our own self sufficient means, personally I’d be delighted with a 7th/8th finish.

47 minutes ago, Good Citizen Bad Citizen said:

Gave a really good account of ourselves yesterday. 

I thought the defence actually coped quite well but that goalkeeper needs to move about a bit quicker, I'm not going to doubt his shot stopping abilities yet but he needs to move on his toes a lot quicker. 

We've kept the majority of core players together for the upcoming season so i reckon we will be OK. 

Our number 25 looked excellent 

Aye, 25 was Quinn Mitchell, he was playing in front of where I was sitting in the first half, he was making a right wee nuisance of himself which I quite enjoyed.

I would be happy with 6th/7th this season and use it as a good foundation to build on - as soon as I saw big Russell coming on I thought jeez he’s the double of Peter Crouch - Sam in goal will need more game time as he does seem a bit slow reaching to save shots - just want to say great move by the club to move the barriers up to the pitch rather than  keep them behind the running track 

53 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Your number 19 was Cole Gibson who was on trial for use yesterday played with our under 18s last year and made a couple of first team appearances 

He actually started in the League Cup game against yourselves. And barring a poor challenge early on acquitted himself fairly well. Suppose it makes sense to give him a trial seeing as he played in one of our only half decent performances against you last season! 

I thought Saturday went pretty well - all things considered obviously. Makes a huge difference to have the name back and hopefully better relations with Edinburgh Council/Leisure mean we can improve Meadowbank (within some pretty obvious limitations).

Squad looks okay and certainly better than I feared when Tom told us he was pulling his cash. 

Bring on the League Cup group stages!

1 hour ago, AllyMonc said:

I thought Saturday went pretty well - all things considered obviously. Makes a huge difference to have the name back and hopefully better relations with Edinburgh Council/Leisure mean we can improve Meadowbank (within some pretty obvious limitations).

Squad looks okay and certainly better than I feared when Tom told us he was pulling his cash. 

Bring on the League Cup group stages!

I was at the game on Saturday as a Hibernian fan, surely the council will allow the club to develop behind the goal at the City end and also the ground behind the dug outs. 

2 hours ago, kevsmart said:

I was at the game on Saturday as a Hibernian fan, surely the council will allow the club to develop behind the goal at the City end and also the ground behind the dug outs. 

We do have planning permission for a stand behind the dugouts and as far as I'm aware that remains the priority - however the company building the flats on the land between the fence and the road have lodged a complaint/challenge related to some of the land not actually being the council's to offer up. 'Ransom Strip' is the legal terminology I believe.

I don't know whether temporary stands behind the goals are an option or not but I know the new ownership are trying everything they can.

For all the positive news around the change of control, Meadowbank remains a significant challenge to what we want to do.

Just reading through the excellent online proggy for the Hibs game. A couple of things stand out....

Admission prices for SPFL 1 games for the 23/24 season have been set at £11 Adults and £6 and under 18's. From memory the Ainslie Park prices for 21/22 were £14 adults and initially increased to £18 for 22/23, before being reduced to £12 halfway through last season. 

Later on in the proggy (page 37), we learn that the club shop is going to close and the catering van will be removed 'among with other cost cutting measures'. It'll be difficult to freeze my bits off at Meadowbank in December without even a cup of tea to warm me up! 

Now I ain't no accountant but I thought that the blindingly obvious thing to do would be to set Adult prices at £12 - £14 minimum rather than reduce them further than last seasons £12. Average attendance last season was 569 fans and that included 2 big gates against Dunfermline which won't be repeated. 

Obviously I don't have any knowledge of the inner financial workings of the club but things just don't stack up for me.