Wimbledon and the grass court tennis season

lichtie23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did Andy look today? Surprised to see he was taken to tie breaks both sets

He was okay, nothing spectacular.  Mahut was excellent.  You do realise Mahut is an excellent grass court player and won a title last week? (all four of his singles titles have come on grass).  He is also an excellent serve and volley player thanks to him being one of the best doubles players in the world )he was the best last week but I think Jamie have overtaken him again).  Murray beat him in a Queens final before and also was defeated here by him as well.

Murray was a bit sloppy but it was a far better showing than his first clay court match of the season. He will play Bedene tomorrow and that will be the first time Murray has faced a British opponent since he last played Tim Henman.

Brit v Brit in consecutive rounds of a tournament for the first time in decades I'd imagine?

Murray hadn't played a Brit for 10 years, suddenly gets two in consecutive days.

Just saw that he won Queen's in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015, so despite having won it four times, he's going for his first back-to-back titles this year.

Murray hadn't played a Brit for 10 years, suddenly gets two in consecutive days.

Just saw that he won Queen's in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015, so despite having won it four times, he's going for his first back-to-back titles this year.

I think I caught on commentary yesterday saying it's not his turn to win it this year due him winning it in odd years. A strange pattern forming with his victories.  That said, I can see only Cilic as the other candidate for the title so it should Murray's again this year.

Comes through 6-1 in the decider.  Was really impressed with Edmund there.  His inside out forehand is a thing of beauty.

Edmund was well worth his set, and played some lovely shots.  As thescarf said his inside out forehand is tremendous.  I think Murray gave him too many opportunities though, but Kyle played some brilliant shots to take the breaks.  Murray plays Cilic next, who he seems to have his number.  Cilic usually gets ground down by Murray.  Cilic beat him at the US Open in 2009 and was on his way to beat him in 2012 a set up and 5-1 up in the second until Murray destroyed him.

Murray has only lost one match at Queen's in odd years.  He is 28-1 in odd years his only loss in 2005 to Thomas Johansson in three sets.

Raonic's ultra lanky limbs and poor posture bugs me for some reason. Would love it if Murray taught him another lesson here like he did in Monte Carlo.

Archived