Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

12 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

If Celtic had actually done something this season Scotland would easily be in 8th. Sigh.

Coefficient points are calculated over 5 years, Celtic have contributed by far the largest portion of this. 

Celtic  - 59

Rangers - 48.5

The Rest - 10

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Crazy how Scotland find ourselves in such a good position despite doing very little over the last five years. It really shows how loaded the dice are in favour of the big leagues.

Scotland have benefited from 2-3 good seasons from the OF but we were also were getting easy points by entering the early rounds and getting easy fixtures plus only having 4 teams in Europe. Next season we enter later and have 5 teams which means to maintain our position we need to do as well if not better than we have done recently. Countries like Greece and Switzerland who now find themselves with 4 teams will have the advantage we had. Countries like Russia and Turkey have been performing horrendously for a few years now, I doubt that will continue.

The coefficient table is always moving. We are probably peaking right now but should float between 18th-10th. 10th I think may get an automatic group place plus 1 team in the qualifiers.

The dice are about to be fully loaded for the big leagues. The new CL format to start in a few years will award places on recent history which means Arsenal, Spurs, Lyon etc. would have been in the champions league group stages this season.

25 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Yes, I'm aware. And what I said in my post is still accurate.

Bit harsh blaming them for Scotland not being higher in the table despite contributing the highest points. Were you expecting Celtic to come through a group with AC Milan and Lille in it?

I agree they shouldn't have lost both games to Sparta but then Slavia showed last night that the Czech teams are no mugs.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Coefficient points are calculated over 5 years, Celtic have contributed by far the largest portion of this. 

Celtic  - 59

Rangers - 48.5

The Rest - 10

59 over 5 years really isn't very impressive. 

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

Bit harsh blaming them for Scotland not being higher in the table despite contributing the highest points. Were you expecting Celtic to come through a group with AC Milan and Lille in it?

I agree they shouldn't have lost both games to Sparta but then Slavia showed last night that the Czech teams are no mugs.

It was a simple observation. Try not to make so much of things.

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

59 over 5 years really isn't very impressive. 

Maybe not, still a larger value than 48.5 though ;)

Looking at the clubs left at this stage this is where the OF should be reaching most years so you are maybe right that theirs (and yours for that matter) points total isn't very impressive. Saying that Rangers have been very impressive in Europe under Gerrard especially this year, I see them being competitive against every side left in it and would back them against the majority of the teams. Only maybe the top 2-3 you would really want to avoid anyone else and I fancy Rangers to go through.

1 hour ago, thisal said:

It's not bad if all Scottish clubs got 59 points only the big 4 of England, Spain, Italy and Germany would be ahead of Scotland.

It isn't really given celtic have had the champions route in qualifiers all they years, 

Same can be said for rangers coefficient, its great to see but lets not forget we've played 11 qualifiers in 3 years, 9 of them you'd expect rangers to win 

Crazy how Scotland find ourselves in such a good position despite doing very little over the last five years. It really shows how loaded the dice are in favour of the big leagues.

We've not really done very little. Celtic have come through a bunch of qualifiers to reach some form of group stages in each of those seasons, and have made the Europa knockout stage three times. Rangers have won through to the Europa groups from the first qualifying round twice and the second qualifying round once, and have reached the last 16 twice.

We've not really done very little. Celtic have come through a bunch of qualifiers to reach some form of group stages in each of those seasons, and have made the Europa knockout stage three times. Rangers have won through to the Europa groups from the first qualifying round twice and the second qualifying round once, and have reached the last 16 twice.

Very little is all relative of course. I still find it bizarre that seasons of one club reaching the last sixteen or thirty-two in the second tier club competition is enough to have a country pushing for seventh. It really does show how much the top leagues dominate the latter stages of European competition.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Very little is all relative of course. I still find it bizarre that seasons of one club reaching the last sixteen or thirty-two in the second tier club competition is enough to have a country pushing for seventh. It really does show how much the top leagues dominate the latter stages of European competition.

Because it coincides with other countries losing their best scores from the start of their 5-year coefficient, while we're up against countries from 7th to 15th who don't have as many qualifying rounds as us to gain points in, and our points count for 25% more than other countries as we have 4 clubs instead of 5.

Because it coincides with other countries losing their best scores from the start of their 5-year coefficient, while we're up against countries from 7th to 15th who don't have as many qualifying rounds as us to gain points in, and our points count for 25% more than other countries as we have 4 clubs instead of 5.
Yes, I understand how it works. Just saying it's a strange system where you can be top eight by virtue of having one club reach the last sixteen of the second tier competition every other year.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Yes, I understand how it works. Just saying it's a strange system where you can be top eight by virtue of having one club reach the last sixteen of the second tier competition every other year.

very odd that you can have a system that rewards teams for winning and drawing more games of football than they lose imo!

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
35 minutes ago, G51 said:
very odd that you can have a system that rewards teams for winning and drawing more games of football than they lose imo!

Sigh. Are you being a prat or just thick?

I mean, if you seriously can't understand why Scotland are so high in the co-efficient table then I dunno what to tell you.

Rangers have played 43 European games since 2018 (W24 D13 L5).  That's 14 a season. Celtic will be similar. If Manchester United make it to this seasons Europa League final, it'll be their 15th game. So Rangers and Celtic are playing roughly the same number of games as elite teams do when they win the competition.

It's not rocket science. Teams that play more games are going to earn more points.