Black Friday - financial crash thread

ICTChris

7 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Wonder what fantasy rating NOers will attach to us in indyref 2.

On 02/11/2016 at 15:15, Baxter Parp said:

But on the other side of the coin

The Price of Oil for December 2020 has dropped $3 back to $54 but that's 15% up on it's February nadir so maybe we shouldn't panic yet.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But on the other side of the coin

The Price of Oil for December 2020 has dropped $3 back to $54 but that's 15% up on it's February nadir so maybe we shouldn't panic yet.

Cancelled out by the dollar trumping I would have thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trade deficit surges to 12.1bn. Not good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38582681

Although on the bright side (but not headlined on the BBC. Found in the Business live section)

The UK's industrial output staged a recovery in November with a rise of 2.1%.

According to data from the Office for National Statistics, output beat expectations of a 0.8% rise and rebounded from a 1.1% fall in October

Commenting on the latest Office for National Statistics data on trade, construction, and production, senior ONS statistician Kate Davies says: "Today’s figures continue to paint a mixed picture of the UK’s economic performance. 

"Production saw significant growth, mainly down to increased oil & gas output as the Buzzard field came back online along with a boost from the volatile pharmaceuticals industry.

“However, the trade deficit widened as imports of transport equipment, chemicals and portable computers helped eclipse rising exports, while falls in repair work and commercial building led to a small overall decline in construction.

"Overall, construction and production output has been broadly flat over the last few months.”

Edited by Suspect Device

• 1 month later...

Still more good news on the economic front so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39049073

Still doing better than the doom mongers warned but of course with the caveat of not actually being out yet and the intervention from the bank of England just after the vote helping to 'calm the panic'.

Will be interesting to see when the economy turns. They always do so it won't be long until we get to blame Brexit for it.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Still more good news on the economic front so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39049073

Still doing better than the doom mongers warned but of course with the caveat of not actually being out yet and the intervention from the bank of England just after the vote helping to 'calm the panic'.

Will be interesting to see when the economy turns. They always do so it won't be long until we get to blame Brexit for it.

I think that the next foreseeable threat to the economy is Brexit, so if it happens and Brexit gets the blame then fair do's.

More worrying is the repeal of legislation in the U.S. that was put into place to reduce the likelihood of another toxic debt led meltdown.  I'm sure all the guys and gals on Wall Street are already looking at a whole new set of dodgy financial instruments that they pull together to f**k the innocent and unsuspecting American public.

Manufacturing performed better than expected, which it should do thanks to the drop in the pound.

Worry still has to be how reliant the economy is on the retail sector, which is still massively reliant on consumer debt.

Not sure this is the right thread for this but I can't be bothered starting a new one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39074461

RBS losses treble to £7bn.  The bank has now lost nearly £50bn in the last decade.

I read this article in the FT about the bank, it's very interesting and pretty grim reading to be honest

https://www.ft.com/content/316d05c6-f4fe-11e6-95ee-f14e55513608

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Not sure this is the right thread for this but I can't be bothered starting a new one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39074461

RBS losses treble to £7bn.  The bank has now lost nearly £50bn in the last decade.

I read this article in the FT about the bank, it's very interesting and pretty grim reading to be honest

https://www.ft.com/content/316d05c6-f4fe-11e6-95ee-f14e55513608

It's hard to understand how an institution can lose that kind of money and still exist.  The article's behind a paywall.

6 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

It's hard to understand how an institution can lose that kind of money and still exist.  The article's behind a paywall.

Because if an institution like this was allowed to fail people might start asking hard questions about light regulation and the free market system.  That would never do.

12 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I don't get how Volkswagen can survive either. Money seems to be illusory when you get to huge amounts.

The article isn't paywalled for me and I'm not a paid up member of the FT?

I don't really know what the end-game is with RBS.  Legacy issues are dominant but there are also problems with the current regime.  The Williams and Glyn stuff is remarkable really - I know people who were working on that and were then stood down one morning with no notice whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Because if an institution like this was allowed to fail people might start asking hard questions about light regulation and the free market system.  That would never do.

If they let it fail, it would cause others to collapse. Barclays and Lloyds for certain would go under, possibly Santander. It would also probably trigger collapses across Europe.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get how Volkswagen can survive either. Money seems to be illusory when you get to huge amounts.

VW employ in the region of 120k people directly in Germany, indirectly it will be a few multiples of that. The German government will never allow them to go under, it would be catastrophic for their economy on so many levels.

Money is an illusion btw. The system only works because most people don't realise that.

23 minutes ago, Ross. said:

If they let it fail, it would cause others to collapse. Barclays and Lloyds for certain would go under, possibly Santander. It would also probably trigger collapses across Europe.

I totally agree.  My point was that so called free market capitalism isn't free market at all as the bank bail outs showed.  I am not saying that we should have let the banking system fail, if we had then everyone would have paid a huge price not just the rich.  But it sticks in the craw when right-wing politicians laud the 'risk takers' in the 'free market' economy.

If we're not prepared to let them fail then we're giving them a free pass to continue with their greedy, reckless practices. Why would they rein it in if there's no risk to them? The longer we let them continue with it, the bigger the price we're all going to pay for it eventually.

I see that RBS had a second Scottish independence referendum listed as potentially impacting it's future performance in the annual results.  I assume that RBS would domicile itself in London if it did become independent, considering it's owned by the British government.