Black Friday - financial crash thread

ICTChris

Ehm, I think you are going to have to provide evidence that market volatility results in "near total shutdown in investment and job creation".

Market volatility is due to uncertainty, which has caused a near shut down in investment and job creation. Markets will adjust day to day, but nobody's going to commit funds in long term UK investments when they have no idea what trading conditions will be in two years time.

Edited by welshbairn

Market volatility is due to uncertainty, which has caused a near shut down in investment and job creation. Markets will adjust day to day, but nobody's going to commit funds in long term UK investments when they have no idea what trading conditions will be in two years time.

Any official figures to back this up?

Typical nasty Nat.

For wanting you to leave the house? I would have thought encouraging someone to put aside paranoia about runaway buses (driven by strangers on the net) and step out into the light is rather nice, not nasty. It can't be healthy sitting locked in your room all day yanking it into a crusty Union Jack handkerchief over picture of the Queen as a young woman.

For wanting you to leave the house? I would have thought encouraging someone to put aside paranoia about runaway buses (driven by strangers on the net) and step out into the light is rather nice, not nasty. It can't be healthy sitting locked in your room all day yanking it into a crusty Union Jack handkerchief over picture of the Queen as a young woman.

Put a chip on your other shoulder to balance things.

My investments are worth £34 more than they were at the start of trading on Thursday morning.

So the financial crash for me lasted less than a week.

I was down 5% on Friday morning so I'm guesing a few folk sold in a panic and lost a bit of money.

And some clever folk got some bargains.

That's the markets for you.

The rise in the exchanges in the last couple of days is mitigated in part by the non recovery of sterling. £1 is still £1 but it's worth less than £1 was last week...

The FTSE100 in particular is performing well due to the number of companies who trade significantly in USD and other non EUR/GBP currencies, like RDSA/RDSB and BP to use a few examples. They have not been hit quite as badly as the companies who are largely reliant on GBP.

The comment about not understanding markets was not directed at you, I should have probably been clearer.

We both know that looking at specific x-rates pairs does not provide a true picture of the strength in currency.  USD and CHF are two of the currencies that traders turn to when they are looking for safety.  The volatility in the markets has led to both of these strengthening significantly against EUR and GBP and no doubt the SNB will, once again, be looking to intervene in the market to weaken their currency in addition to the interventions last week.

I wonder what you analysis would be of CHF when it was sitting at 2.45 to the pound in 2007 when I visited. Overall Sterling is still stronger now than it was in (for example) 2013.

I don't disagree with the final point but to state that volatility is terrible is wrong.  Volatility is terrible for the city as it allows the rapid movement of wealth between assets which exposes them to the possibility of significant and rapid losses .  For the average joe in the street, volatility does not matter one iota.

Not entirely sure what the SNB will look to do now. Having removed the EUR cap last year they expected the franc to stay roughly where it was or weaken a little, and they won't want to mess too much with the markets while so many are using CHF as a safe haven. They already have negative interest rates and are unlikely to change that very much and the SNB currently hold more than the countries GDP in foreign reserves so it's difficult to see how they can devalue without taking drastic action this time. It will certainly be interesting to see how long they stay quiet and exactly what they decide to do, as there is definitely a worry that the CHF is too strong right now.

At 2007 rates my only thoughts are that it would have been cheaper for a pint here than it was in the UK. I don't like that.

This time last year most of the "Experts" seemed to agree that the correct level was between 1.45 to 1.55, which is mostly where it has floated since I moved here.

Edited by Ross.

It's weird that the areas that seem to be foaming at the gash the most about immigration are the places where there's virtually none.

Huge Leave vote in Cumbria for instance - I've been down there a few times recently, and even in the bigger places like Carlisle and Workington it's rare to see a black or brown face.

It's not even like even the most desperate asylum seekers' first choice of destination is somewhere like Barrow or Whitehaven...

Hear lad.  I have decided to launch a campaign to take Cumberland out of Cumbria.

Carlisle born and bred is me and proud of it too.

Back then, it was Cumberland with Westmoreland next door.

Cumberland was where I was born, where I went to school and where I chose to stay.

Of sure, I have been to Westmoreland, places like Kendal and Windermere - but it were different - like visiting a foreign country.

They had their ways and we had ours.

All of a sudden somebody somewhere decided we should be pushed together - it's not natural.

Even worse, they also added places like Ulverston and Barrow.  That were Lancashire and in my mind still is.

Never been there - no wish to ever go.

Let's get back to the way things were.

Support my campaign.