Dunfermline v Dumbarton (league opener) match thread

For pubs see the pinned thread. Lots of good info there.

For public drinking then the bandstand (in the aforementioned public park) is the place for it, or under the underpass just along from it. You could also head down the glen (a delight) but it's at the other side of town form the ground and there won't be any fans around.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You could also head down the glen (a delight) but it's at the other side of town form the ground and there won't be any fans around.

I always liked the bushes behind that Scout hut thing opposite the Police station. 

14 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

Hi calling pars fans.

where can away fans get a drink before game. Any of the bars at ground allow away fans in?? 

The Lizzie (East on Halbeath Rd)

is deed, its more of a restaurant that sells drinks now. Shame. 

25 minutes ago, Shooboax said:

Well I'd suggest they go down the public park just along from the ground with some White Lightening, they may find it more culturally to their tastes.

Pfft, white lightning? Do you think we're from Greenock or something. It'll be Buckfast and Mad dog. Only the best of gear for us sons...

Just remember 

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Haud on, Shooboax is 76?! I thought he was about 16 :lol: The CSE will have you supper auld yin, bring yer sword if you like.

Sorry I'm numerically dyslexic. I'm actually 67.

4 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

What sort of nefarious activities occur there? Prey tell...

It's probably 20 years since I hung about those bushes. It was just the usual fare - sex, drugs, alcohol and gang violence, though not necessarily in that order.

Why the hell have I been so down on us for this game? Andy Geggan is back, and he has a flag to show off. Hopefully he has the PA man sufficiently telt so that all goals are awarded to Andy Geggan from now on. 

If any Sons fans like ale, the Commercial in the town centre (opposite the Post Office) is a good pub. Decent pub grub too. Though I drink in there so you may wish to reconsider.

I feel that it's almost fitting that Dumbarton should be our opponents tomorrow given that it was they who we played last before we entered administration. I had my Sons supporting neebur with me in hospitality that day and I'll never forget looking out onto an empty EEP, long after the final whistle of that 4-3 defeat, thinking that that could be our final game. Playing them again tomorrow bookends the worst of days for the club to getting it back to a healthy position.

As for the game, hopefully we'll have Reilly back; we looked pretty toothless against Dundee United so we need as many options as is possible. If Reilly's fit, get him up top with Moffat and Higginbotham wide right. Wedderburn being fit will be key but last week showed how vital Geggan is going to be for us this year; we missed him badly at Tannadice.

Should be a close game but with two difficult away games to follow, we really need to make a good start.

Right, now that's us got 3 players in I'd like to post my customary starting lineup. I'm assuming Barr is still out unfortunately, which still leaves us very sparse in terms of defenders, and with Wright playing through an injury.

Alan Martin

Craig Pettigrew Gregor Buchanan Frazer Wright Daniel Harvie

Josh Todd Joe Thomson Mark Docherty Andy Stirling

Ryan Stevenson

Robert Thomson

It leaves David Smith out the team, and that's a shame because I actually quite like him. Todd is a more intelligent player though, and against a Pars team who are likely to be doing plenty of attacking we need to prevent Pettigrew getting exposed as he gives me the fear one-on-one. Sparky in central midfield will give us a bit of bite, and he can cover for Wright's lack of...erm...movement and for either full-back should they get caught out of position. Hopefully Joe Thomson can give us that wee spark in midfield we've been lacking so far, a bit of energy in midfield is very welcome, and alongside a defensive minded Sparky is the best way to go. 

Stevo and Thommo showed signs of an understanding at Dundee, and Stevo really has looked decent lately - he's certainly fit, and has already played a big part in quite a few goals. Having Sparky and Thomson to do the dirty work should free him up even more going forward.

I'm daring to get optimistic about us getting a result away from home :lol::lol::lol:

4 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Simmer doon :lol:

I cannot wait to be bitterly disappointed, but it (slightly) beats going into an away game wondering how many we'll get beaten by :lol:

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Ryan Stevenson! :lol:

He looked like an absolute jobber against us in the two games at Somerset last season (that I saw; I didn't go to the cup game).

He was horrific for Ayr last year by all accounts, and early signs in friendlies weren't great for us. But he's really kicked on and benefited from the Betfred Cup, he looks fit, focused and hungry which has surprised and impressed me in equal measure. Last week he was spraying the passes around for fun, and once you accept he isn't exactly a box to box style midfielder, more a quarterback who can ping balls AOTS without moving a great deal he can be a joy to watch.

I hope he keeps it up tomorrow so I don't look like an utter spanner now I've posted this. Soz Ryan :unsure: x

Archived