Dunfermline v Dumbarton (league opener) match thread

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, pretty eventful half. We should be 3 or 4-1 up tbh. Reilly missed a bit of a sitter and Ashcroft was unlucky with the goal-line clearance. Worthy to be in front but Dumbarton look dangerous on the counter. I also noticed Robert Thomson is still a clumsy donkey.

We have a bunch of players who should be fairly easy to organise, and we've decided to play Stevo in his least effective role. I like Stevie but his tactics defy all logic, Stevo has literally only been good for us as an attacking mid and we've chosen to play a box to box midfielder beyond him. We miss Barr massively but we should be competing here, since our goal we've been all over the shop.

The idea might be to try to use Todd and Thomson breaking quickly and Stevenson trying to hit them with a pass that sets up a counter attack. It isn't working. Pars have so much time and space to pick their passes or run at us. Neither fullback looks good and the 2 centre halves are having to try to do their own job and look for danger from wide. Need better.

Also, why does Moffat still take penalties? He never looks confident and I knew when I saw the number 9 step up in front of the other bodies we were going to make a tit of it.

Dunfermline really didn't have to be good. Cardle took all of his goals well but our defending is League 2 stuff. There were points there for the taking and we've shat ourselves. Pettigrew looks wildly out of his depth and Wrights error for the 3rd is unacceptable, at a point we were coming back into the game I expect far better, don't give a shit if he's injured that was a simple ball to deal with. We look okay going forward but I will never understand Stevo at defensive mid. Also think throwing Harvie in against Hugganbotham was mistake. Stevie needs to sort it quickly or we'll be in big trouble, we are shipping goals at the rate of Alan Adamson, if not worse.

Ooft. Think the game should have ended before Dumbo got their two penalties but that feels like a defeat. We really should have scored more than 4 and Dumbarton are going to get relegated because they are absolutely hopeless.

Feels like a defeat? Strange feeling to take away. Completely coasted the game and no more than two consolations. If we'd drawn the game it would have felt like a defeat but we still won!

Feels like a defeat? Strange feeling to take away. Completely coasted the game and no more than two consolations. If we'd drawn the game it would have felt like a defeat but we still won!

Well, perhaps not a defeat but it feels bloody odd! We totally dominated it but we gave away two stupid goals that makes the result look a lot closer than it was. As I said, the game should've ended before they even got their first penalty. Don't know where the referee pulled 5 extra minutes from.

Archived