Italy vs Germany

lichtie23

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing De Rossi from what was already a limited squad was an absolute hammer blow for Italy.

The fact that a Sturaro-Parolo-Giaccherini midfield took Germany to extra-time is testament to Conte, and to their never-say-die attitude.

Properly gutted that Buffon will never get to win the Euros. The best goalkeeper of all time.

My favourite moment from today's ESPN commentary.

As we begin extra time, Stewart Robson makes a pointless and gratuitous reference to how Germany "almost lost" to England via the golden goal rule in 1996 and would have it if hadn't been for Gazza's unfortunate miss. Jon Champion promptly pulls him up with "You know Stewart, you just have to let it go - that was 20 years ago." Almost certainly weeping, Robson responds with "Well, sometimes you just can't."

Aye, well then maybe a job as a sports analyst in 2016 isn't for you then, you cock.

I wanted Italy to win - some awful penalties there with a few golden rules broken -

Don't stop/start when running up to take the penalty.

Don't try play mind games with the keeper telling him you will chip it down the middle.

Don't do a silly crab like run up as you will probably blast it over.

If you are the keeper who's team are taking the penalty, don't look away!

It was telling that some of the best penalties were scored by defenders. Short run, hit it as hard as you can, in the net. No messing about or mind games.

I put money on Italy to win once it got to pens because I thought muller and ozil would miss. Italian bottle merchants shafted me.

Muller looked absolutely terrified before his pen, I've never been so sure that someone will miss

Only just catching up on this thread after having no signal watching last night. Was obviously hoping Gli Azurri would do it but de Rossi was a big miss - what Storado was doing for the Germany goal is anyone's guess. Thought Zaza should have came on earlier if he was to be taking a penalty; surely having your first touch a penalty in a big shoot out is too much? Probably would have kept Chialini on too as he'd have just leathered it down the middle. No idea what Pelle was up to though, saying he was going to Panenka it then hitting it miles wide? Oh, and to answer this:

A minute's applause for a terrorist attack. Minute's silence not better?

A minute's silence has never really been a thing in Italy - I'm sure the stadium PA announced a minute's silence but the Italian fans are used to a minute's applause for any act of remembrance and it looked like they'd started applauding before the referee had even blown his whistle.

Guest Flash

Germany looked like they won the toss for which goal to shoot into and they chose the one the Italy fans were behind. Also looked like they won the toss for who went first and they let Italy go first.

Must be Germany's tournament to lose now.

Italy would have had a great chance though if they hadn't completely fucked those penalties. Even with half the squad suspended. Current gang not a patch on the 2006 vintage (Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, De Rossi, Totti, Del Piero, Toni) but if Marchisio had been fit and De Rossi not suspended may have been their year. Disappointing.

Must be Germany's tournament to lose now.

Italy would have had a great chance though if they hadn't completely fucked those penalties. Even with half the squad suspended. Current gang not a patch on the 2006 vintage (Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, De Rossi, Totti, Del Piero, Toni) but if Marchisio had been fit and De Rossi not suspended may have been their year. Disappointing.

Germany's to lose? France may have something to say about that.

It's been Germany's to lose since before a ball was kicked.  I said it on here before the tournament started that the Germany/France semi would effectively be the final. France were the only team on paper going into the tournament, that had a realistic chance of putting Germany out. 

Archived