La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

3 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I had no idea, couldn't even tell you who he played for.

I also maintain if not for injury Brazilian Ronaldo was better than Portuguese one.

The original Ronaldo was a genuine force of nature. Messi lacks power, Cristiano Ronaldo lacks guile, Ronaldo seemed to have it all. It's a fact he came nowhere near to his potential, yet his career is still up there. The night he obliterated Man U at Old Trafford is the best individual performance I've ever seen. 

I'm not sure comparing goals record from folk in the 70s/80s, and earlier, is too great an idea though. It's a different sport now. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

The original Ronaldo was a genuine force of nature. Messi lacks power, Cristiano Ronaldo lacks guile, Ronaldo seemed to have it all. It's a fact he came nowhere near to his potential, yet his career is still up there. The night he obliterated Man U at Old Trafford is the best individual performance I've ever seen. 

I'm not sure comparing goals record from folk in the 70s/80s, and earlier, is too great an idea though. It's a different sport now. 

Finally a sensible post from you.  I've always thought Ronaldo was a combination of Messi and Cristiano and as better than Cristiano at his best.

However he was honking at old Trafford really, four stone overweight and years past his best, but simple class got him a hat trick with three top drawer finishes.  It's an indication of how good he was that as a tenth of the player he used to be he could still do something like that.  Imo definitely a better player at his best than the Portuguese imitation.

7 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Finally a sensible post from you.  I've always thought Ronaldo was a combination of Messi and Cristiano and as better than Cristiano at his best.

However he was honking at old Trafford really, four stone overweight and years past his best, but simple class got him a hat trick with three top drawer finishes.  It's an indication of how good he was that as a tenth of the player he used to be he could still do something like that.  Imo definitely a better player at his best than the Portuguese imitation.

I was about ten when he played at Old Trafford, so I'm maybe over remembering his performance, but I remember him rag dolling the defence all game, never giving the ball away and then smashing it in every time he shot. Not many folk scored hat tricks at Old Trafford. I'm fairly sure it was the 2002 WC that he ran riot in too. 

But aye, he was clearly on the decline by then, looking back. I like Messi and all, and it's enjoyable seeing him dance through eleven folk, but if you watch Ronaldo at Barca you get all that plus this explosive power. I'm always going to be biased towards him. 

54 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Wasn't Clough mostly playing in the second tier when he scored a lot of his goals? Seem to remember him possibly being a notable England cap from a lower level.

essentially yes - i think his later years at sunderland were in Div One, but it's still a startling record, and one which very much went under the radar - i really don't think i ever heard him being credited as being a phenomenal player, but perhaps his persona as a manager overshadowed all of that...

Just now, Herman Hessian said:

essentially yes - i think his later years at sunderland were in Div One, but it's still a startling record, and one which very much went under the radar - i really don't think i ever heard him being credited as being a phenomenal player, but perhaps his persona as a manager overshadowed all of that...

I don't think it was particularly rare for players to score rakes back then. Literally every clubs record goalscorer comes from those decades. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was about ten when he played at Old Trafford, so I'm maybe over remembering his performance, but I remember him rag dolling the defence all game, never giving the ball away and then smashing it in every time he shot. Not many folk scored hat tricks at Old Trafford. I'm fairly sure it was the 2002 WC that he ran riot in too. 

But aye, he was clearly on the decline by then, looking back. I like Messi and all, and it's enjoyable seeing him dance through eleven folk, but if you watch Ronaldo at Barca you get all that plus this explosive power. I'm always going to be biased towards him. 

Ronaldo was the complete player, he had everything pace power two great feet could score any type of goal good in the air intelligent could take players on.  Unplayable at his best and with no weaknesses.

Barcelona  certainly aren’t close to the incredible force they were around 2011, perhaps not even as when they last won the Champions League, but better to accept the fact and adapt to circumstances accordingly as opposed to forcing players like Paulinho, Gomes or Roberto into the boots (and expectations) of their predecessors. 

That seems to be the crux of Valverde’s achievements so far this season, and he’s shown a mighty pair of bollocks in offering a subtle, more direct alternative to the club’s (at times pretentious) ‘philosophy’ - especially against the backdrop of a circus summer window that was no fault of his own. 

A ‘plan B’ that doesn’t involve punting it to Negredo or Llorente  - who knew?

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:47, Granny Danger said:

I would probably appreciate him more as a football player if he was not such an arrogant p***k.

Or, you might not appreciate him anywhere near as much, as I'd argue that he wouldn't be anywhere near as good a player as he is if he wasn't such an arrogant p***k . Pure conjecture obviously, but in my opinion it's his obscenely big ego that has driven him to be so good and so successful. The 'competition' with Messi has also definitely helped him. I think Messi would have been just as good without Ronaldo to 'compete' with, I don't think the same could be said vice versa, as the battle to be "number one" is arguably his main motivation, and team success comes as a compliment to that, rather than individual plaudits arriving because he's striving for group success. 

Either way, he's a fucking phenomenal football player, regardless of his motivations.

34 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Or, you might not appreciate him anywhere near as much, as I'd argue that he wouldn't be anywhere near as good a player as he is if he wasn't such an arrogant p***k . Pure conjecture obviously, but in my opinion it's his obscenely big ego that has driven him to be so good and so successful. The 'competition' with Messi has also definitely helped him. I think Messi would have been just as good without Ronaldo to 'compete' with, I don't think the same could be said vice versa, as the battle to be "number one" is arguably his main motivation, and team success comes as a compliment to that, rather than individual plaudits arriving because he's striving for group success. 

Either way, he's a fucking phenomenal football player, regardless of his motivations.

A lot of folk thought Thatcher was a ‘great politician’; there’s millions of Americans think Trump is a ‘great President’.

48 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

That's a good point.  But I always think there's a bit of the Frank lampard about him, if you shoot every time you have the ball you will score a lot of goals and look a better player than you probably are.

Lampard scored ten times the amount of goals Xavi scored but I don't think anyone would seriously suggest he was a better player.

I don't think Ronaldo is as good a player as he's regarded and certainly nowhere near messis league.

Edited by Peppino Impastato