Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

29 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Scoreboard, how very modern.

Really? I'm thinking of the thing that had letters then the space for numbers so you know match A was 1-1 at half time but unless you bought a programme you wouldn't know what game that was. Not something showing the current score in the game you were watching; it's assumed you would know that already.

I can't actually find a photo of one! This is the closest I could get, on the front wall of the terracing rather than a rickety structure at one end of the ground.

scoreboard.jpg

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Really? I'm thinking of the thing that had letters then the space for numbers so you know match A was 1-1 at half time but unless you bought a programme you wouldn't know what game that was. Not something showing the current score in the game you were watching; it's assumed you would know that already.

I can't actually find a photo of one! This is the closest I could get, on the front wall of the terracing rather than a rickety structure at one end of the ground.

scoreboard.jpg

Motherwell 1 St Mirren oops sorry 

A 1-1

B 1-0

C 0-0

Newly formed Celtic Supporters Association to the old regime in 1946.

We’ll build you a scoreboard says the CSA, No problemo says the ancient protectors of the Biscuit Tin. Oh aye while we’re at it, we’re thinking of starting a programme to sell to the support says the CSA Eh hawd oan.......... leave this with us a while says the old board. Month later a scoreboard appears and a programme.

And the CSA were completely blanked.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I've bored the entire 'photographic history of Scottish fitba' thread with Muirton Park stuff, so it's time this thread got the same treatment.  The cracking top picture here was posted by @Old Pack on the other thread.

Way back and a year or two ago:

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0801.PNG

And by that reckoning the centre circle would be roughly about the last line of spaces at the side of asda, maybe even the drop off bays. The gardens on Carnegie place, particularly the one where the telegraph still stands to this day were our favourite choice for climbing in.

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Motherwell 1 St Mirren oops sorry 

A 1-1

B 1-0

C 0-0

As Gordon D will tell you Meadowbank Stadium had a plush modern electronic scoreboard taken from the 1984 Olympics in LA. Despite this they still put up half time scores on it as A 1-1, B1-0, C1-1. It was either a plot to make you buy the programme or can be put down to the incompetence of the scoreboard operator (Grant Collie. It's on the table)

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

As Gordon D will tell you Meadowbank Stadium had a plush modern electronic scoreboard taken from the 1984 Olympics in LA. Despite this they still put up half time scores on it as A 1-1, B1-0, C1-1. It was either a plot to make you buy the programme or can be put down to the incompetence of the scoreboard operator (Grant Collie. It's on the table)

Most of the scoreboards were huge things on the terracing with guys inside to hang up the numbers. At Ibrox the letters were on the boundary wall behind each goal, and a wee mannie came out at half time with a wheelbarrow full of the numbers. The day Thistle were beating Celtic 4-0 in the 1971 League Cup Final, most people thought it was 4-0 Celtic and the wee mannie was just taking the pish. 

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

True.  Not that Thistle had anything to do with it, of course - it was installed for the 1986 Commonwealth Games, replacing the original which was at one corner of the stadium.

BTW Grant Collie emigrated to New Zealand, as did Jim Kent, another weel-kent face at Thistle games. Not sure if this is just coincidence or if they were on the run. Knowing Grant, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

Most of the scoreboards were huge things on the terracing with guys inside to hang up the numbers. At Ibrox the letters were on the boundary wall behind each goal, and a wee mannie came out at half time with a wheelbarrow full of the numbers. The day Thistle were beating Celtic 4-0 in the 1971 League Cup Final, most people thought it was 4-0 Celtic and the wee mannie was just taking the pish. 

I remember being at Easter Road when the half-time scoreboard said that Brechin were beating Aberdeen 3-0 in the League Cup. There was excitement for a few minutes until the announcer came on the tannoy and apologised that they'd got it wrong, and Aberdeen were winning 3-0.

On 05/08/2018 at 00:42, Austinho said:

Easter Road with one of the most stunning backdrops in world football.

DjWrGidXoAACra-.jpg-large.jpeg

On 05/08/2018 at 19:22, The Mantis said:

That's my mate John Gilchrist. OK you've talked me into putting up one of mine  :lol:

IMG_2024.thumb.jpg.5a477160661c8842db1f61cc11817ea0.jpg

That one was taken from the Radical Road. Any guesses where I took this one from (not Calton Hill before anybody says ;)):

IMG_3146.jpg.b0bd31d78847fba3858b9ea4dab4ad89.jpg

1 minute ago, ah-dee said:
12 minutes ago, The Mantis said:
That one was taken from the Radical Road. Any guesses where I took this one from (not Calton Hill before anybody says emoji6.png):
IMG_3146.jpg.b0bd31d78847fba3858b9ea4dab4ad89.jpg

is that from arthurs seat? last time i was up tgere i was a child so memory is hazy

Far too close and low for Arthur's seat. If that's Calton Hill in the foreground, my guess is that it's the roof of that office building where they used to make Grand Theft Auto.

Far too close and low for Arthur's seat. If that's Calton Hill in the foreground, my guess is that it's the roof of that office building where they used to make Grand Theft Auto.
as saod i was very young last time i was up there so sure you are right. wasnt GTA mostly made in dundee?

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Aww, thank you but I was just surprised you'd forgotten about it as you'd quoted it and chatted about it! ;)

I have a feeling that between here and the other similar thread on the go, I've probably posted the same pictures, told the same old stories and commented on the same things several times over the months they've been on the go.

If these threads are still on the go next month I'll no doubt go through it all again..