Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I mind that there was a terrace/standing area opposite the main stand previously (extended round behind the goals where the away stand is now). I recall standing on it in season 99/00 to see us up there.

It's been so long since I've been to that stadium that I can't recall if it's still there. If so, there's nothing to stop them opening it again.

This is about a good a picture as I could find.  None facing the A9 unfortunately.  The terracing at the away end is still there but is closed off.  At the home end, it was transformed into uncovered seating that only opens for Celtic I think.  The ICT fans used to be able to sit in it when it first opened I think.

Edit - Just found the 2nd picture, if you look closely you can just see the blue seats on the right of the picture.

semi-aerial.jpg

JS28452535.jpg

Edited by TheScarf

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Central Park, Cowden.

The podium. A podium which stands for no purpose provided an entertaining night for me and a mate as Saints took on the Blue Brazil in the cup one cold winters evening.

During the match we spotted the unmanned podium so we left the terraces and made our way there. We climbed the rickety wooden steps and suddenly we were upon the podium looking over a floodlit central park in all its glory. It was special. The game was soon up for us though. As Cowdens keeper went for a goal kick, a loud "OOOHHHHHHHH" to put him off from my mate drew the attention of basically everyone in attendance that night. We could see the stewards had spotted us and they had walkie talkies to their mouths. "They're on the podium, I repeat they are on the podium" I could imagine them saying. We were ordered down from the podium and that was that. We went home after a 3-0 victory and unforgettable memories of the podium.

Left over from the stock car days maybe?

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This is about a good a picture as I could find.  None facing the A9 unfortunately.  The terracing at the away end is still there but is closed off.  At the home end, it was transformed into uncovered seating that only opens for Celtic I think.  The ICT fans used to be able to sit in it when it first opened I think.

Edit - Just found the 2nd picture, if you look closely you can just see the blue seats on the right of the picture.

semi-aerial.jpg

JS28452535.jpg

Aye, I can just make them out. What a shitey wee seating section. Would be much better to just get it to f**k and make it a standing area again.

4 minutes ago, Liviguy said:

God I wish I was old enough to remember that.

It was both dreadful and fantastic. Beer was served in plastic glasses (not the firm ones but the shitey ones you get at gigs) and the floor was probably never washed, but it was definitely an experience to try and was fairly cheap and very handily located. I was quite disappointed when I heard it was closed down. For some reason I never saw home fans in it (I was only used it about 3 times).

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Ibrox has the only 3-tiered stand, AFAIA.

There are precious few proper 2-tiered stands too, i.e. that actually have an overhang over the tier below:

- Main Stand at Hibs
- South Stand at Hampden
- side stand at Rangers
- 3 new stands at Celtic
- most stands at Tannadice
- Richard Donald Stand at Aberdeen?
- stand at Formartine Utd

Spartans? Main Stands at EEP and Dens?

55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It was both dreadful and fantastic. Beer was served in plastic glasses (not the firm ones but the shitey ones you get at gigs) and the floor was probably never washed, but it was definitely an experience to try and was fairly cheap and very handily located. I was quite disappointed when I heard it was closed down. For some reason I never saw home fans in it (I was only used it about 3 times).

Just sounds awful and amazing at the same time.

9 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Does anybody have photos of Ibrox during the reconstruction? I remember seeing it on TV, with the area opposite the main stand fenced off and big JCB excavators digging the foundations of what's now the Govan Stand.

th?&id=OIP.M21d97205c36e8c28e50bc4ede408f088o0&w=300&h=200&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

th?&id=OIP.Mc12997599074ede670c79d4646cad220o0&w=199&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

th?&id=OIP.Mbf97de2ed651abe79eb2db7c06a7edd0o0&w=155&h=207&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

FB_IMG_1457378427840.jpg

Former Thistle and Scotland player Jimmy Davidson. 

He became groundsman and grew potatoes on a patch of spare ground at the main stand just before where the North Terrace began. That stand also used to have cover before storms in the early 60s. You can see the start of the roofing on the top of the picture.

3 minutes ago, Liviguy said:

My uncle helped build the new ibrox he used to shout at Jim denny from the top of the broomlin stand 

He may have known my friend's dad, Alex Adamson, a Dundonian who lived in Kinghorn, Alex was a site agent IIRC.