Fergus McCann Interview

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to hand it to Sportsound - they really know how to talk up our game. McCann was just a beacon of positivity throughout. I was impressed with his grasp on matters relating to clubs outwith the Old Firm and with his general knowledge and enthusiasm for the Scottish game.

Well done lads.

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I only caught 3 minutes of it but feel strangely compelled to tell everyone the entire interview was clearly anti-Rangers.

I think he realised from early on that the Rangers plan wasn't a plan - spend, spend, spend and when the money runs out (and the success) just keep spending.  His actions were one of the leavers that pushed Rangers over the cliff.  Had a proper business and commercial view of where he was going.

I was only 8/9 years old when this Celtic carry on was happening.

He was the polar opposite of David Murray it seems, and it looked like it paid dividends.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I was only 8/9 years old when this Celtic carry on was happening.

He was the polar opposite of David Murray it seems, and it looked like it paid dividends.

A lot of fans hated him at the time , cos he wouldn't recklessly splash the cash to match the cheats, also he came in to Celtic and told it straight,

Paraphrasing ..." I have a 5 year plan to build one of the best stadiums in Europe make Celtic Champs the sell up ,retire to the sun with a wad of cash"

and thats exactly what what he did, he was booed when unfurled the flag in his last year, but now everyone can see he was spot on.

7 minutes ago, THE KING said:

and thats exactly what what he did, he was booed when unfurled the flag in his last year, but now everyone can see he was spot on.

Behave yersel, everyone bar tantrum-throwing Celtic fans could see at the time what he'd done for Celtic was spot on. The level of entitlement and backstabbing was utterly baffling.

28 minutes ago, banana said:

Behave yersel, everyone bar tantrum-throwing Celtic fans could see at the time what he'd done for Celtic was spot on. The level of entitlement and backstabbing was utterly baffling.

BBC

"only a handful of times since he left the club in 1999 - and for many supporters it will be an opportunity to repent.

Sixteen years ago, the same scene was played out, after Celtic won the 1998 championship and stopped Rangers from winning 10 titles in a row.

On that occasion, though, McCann was booed by large sections of the support. He had saved the club, remodelled it and then rebuilt the stadium, but it took more than a decade for the level of appreciation to begin to match the achievement."

It was interesting hearing about his time at Celtic, but then it descended into mad ramblings about the others teams in Scotland and football in general.

"There are five million people in Greater Manchester, who have only got two clubs." Presuming he talking about City and United here, he is only forgetting Football League clubs Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Wigan. Also Greater Manchester population is under 3 million.

9 minutes ago, Bukowski said:

It was interesting hearing about his time at Celtic, but then it descended into mad ramblings about the others teams in Scotland and football in general.

Also double standards in how he viewed 'the rest' in Scotland compared to Celtic and Rangers, but talked about Celtic battling onwards in hard times when viewing Celtic and Rangers compared to the big European clubs. Surely Celtic and Rangers should either merge or stop sponging off the Champs League big boys?

10 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I only caught 3 minutes of it but feel strangely compelled to tell everyone the entire interview was clearly anti-Rangers.

Oh, no it wasn't.  He luuuuuuurrrves the DeedAsADodo and New-BrandRangers FCs.

What he hates is; Kilmarnock!

Can I be the first to say "Boo ye old firm obsessed myopic kvnt"!

Although not all of it was abhorrent delusional shyte, most of it was.  From the very beginning where he perpetuates the myth that somehow "Whore FC" are more special to it's supporters than other clubs, to (at the end) his rather paradoxical view that fans had to be listened to (when discussing the Kelly's), but should be ignored when discussing what to do with the new BrandRangers FC.

Essentially, his message was, 'we're Celtic and Rangers and all you others can fvk right off, because we're so self important'.  'Look at how shyt Kilmarnock are, they can't even sell out their ground', not only that 'The reason Celtic can't fill out their stadium is also because Kilmarnock are shyt'.  'Oh and pay your bills, unless you're the DeedClub, in which case I'll gloss over it, and in any case, they probably only went tits up because Kilmarnock are so shyt!'

The only other point of note was that this shouldn't have been a BBC Sport production, but rather a 'Songs of Praise' one.  The interviewer kept asking him whether his involvement was 'faith based' WTF!

Yours

aDONis

Oh, no it wasn't.  He luuuuuuurrrves the DeedAsADodo and New-BrandRangers FCs.

What he hates is; Kilmarnock!

Can I be the first to say "Boo ye old firm obsessed myopic kvnt"!

Although not all of it was abhorrent delusional shyte, most of it was.  From the very beginning where he perpetuates the myth that somehow "Whore FC" are more special to it's supporters than other clubs, to (at the end) his rather paradoxical view that fans had to be listened to (when discussing the Kelly's), but should be ignored when discussing what to do with the new BrandRangers FC.

Essentially, his message was, 'we're Celtic and Rangers and all you others can fvk right off, because we're so self important'.  'Look at how shyt Kilmarnock are, they can't even sell out their ground', not only that 'The reason Celtic can't fill out their stadium is also because Kilmarnock are shyt'.  'Oh and pay your bills, unless you're the DeedClub, in which case I'll gloss over it, and in any case, they probably only went tits up because Kilmarnock are so shyt!'

The only other point of note was that this shouldn't have been a BBC Sport production, but rather a 'Songs of Praise' one.  The interviewer kept asking him whether his involvement was 'faith based' WTF!

Yours

aDONis

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The man clearly has a commercial acumen but has absolute disdain for Scottish football outside of the OF

It's funny how the attitude of Celtic fans has changed over the years towards him...

A lot of fans hated him at the time , cos he wouldn't recklessly splash the cash to match the cheats, also he came in to Celtic and told it straight,

Paraphrasing ..." I have a 5 year plan to build one of the best stadiums in Europe make Celtic Champs the sell up ,retire to the sun with a wad of cash"

McCann wasn't booed because he wouldn't splash the cash, although admittedly there was a great sense of frustration that we'd finally won the league & having watched enviously at Rangers playing CL football, we now had the chance to do this ourselves. Right after we won the league we had the World Cup at France 98 & I remember reading a newspaper article that claimed we had provided more players to the tournament than any other club in the world. We had 10 players at it. So it stands to reason after a heavy season & the WC, that with the chance to get into the CL you invest in your team. We didn't do that until late on & we got pumped by Dinamo Zagreb.

However the main reason for the booing was because of Wim Jansen being shown the door after he stated he couldn't work with Jock Brown. Many Celtic fans had little time for Brown due to his attacks on Celtic when working for the media & it came down to a case of who do you side with, the unpopular Brown or the well loved Wim Jansen, the man in charge for stopping the 10.

The only three gripes I had with McCann was the sacking of Tommy Burns, Wim Jansen & not investing adequately & quickly enough after winning the league. However I would never have booed the guy. He is worshipped by Celtic fans these days but that was just the feeling at the time in the Wim Jansen situation.

Archived