Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

34 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Incidentally I was planning a trip to Germany next Summer. We may go to Berlin, Stuttgart or the Bavarian Alps but definitely not the Ruhr

Westphalia is not an option

I hear the shopping is exciting.

FWIW, I think the whole chat around people being bargaining chips is being over played. Someone will fudge something that means everyone is allowed to stay where they are. It would be too messy and too expensive to do anything else.

10 hours ago, MrSpikey said:

Quite possibly - however, should things such as this actually be introduced, then that argument pretty much goes out the window.

It only confirms that there will be sensible approach to the Brexit negotiations. The vulture lawyers will continue to prey on the weak, vulnerable and insecure.

Verhofstadt's constructive approach is surprising. He is a founder member of the federalist Spinelli Group, and has consistently attacked the UK's opposition to full EU political union. His comments in the Parliament have often been OTT and even offensive at times.

The Remain supporters are continuing with their Project Fear. They now want "associate EU Membership" or Single Market/EEA membership which requires freedom of movement.  

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It only confirms that there will be sensible approach to the Brexit negotiations. The vulture lawyers will continue to prey on the weak, vulnerable and insecure.

Verhofstadt's constructive approach is surprising. He is a founder member of the federalist Spinelli Group, and has consistently attacked the UK's opposition to full EU political union. His comments in the Parliament have often been OTT and even offensive at times.

The Remain supporters are continuing with their Project Fear. They now want "associate EU Membership" or Single Market/EEA membership which requires freedom of movement.  

Personally I can't see how the UK can possibly think they've a mandate to stay in the single market unless the EU drop the need for freedom of movement, if there was one issue in the campaign that was at the centre of the LEAVE campaign it was taking control of immigration.

We seem to be getting a vox-pop based news segment about Brexit voting "forgotten towns" on a daily basis atm. 

I definitely have more time for Europeans in Edinburgh than the majority of voters in Hartlepool or Rhonda. The former have gone to great lengths to improve their lives and their efforts contribute to our economy and society. 

The morons on the news bumping their gums about Europe from some godforsaken social club receive no sympathy from me. 

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Briggs the raging troll thinks there will be a sensible approach to brexit negotiations but yesterday was hysterically denying there would have been a sensible approach to scotlands Eu membership.   Hilarious,  glad he's on ignore. .

You really are an idiotic cretin.

The EU Treaties apply in both cases. Britain is leaving under Article 50. An independent Scotland would have to apply under 49, i.e. as a new applicant and go through the full application process. The SNP claimed in 2014, that Scotland could apply under Article 48. The White Paper claimed that the EU would allow an independent join automatically on Independence Day, i.e. within 18 months of the referendum.

In March 2014, the EU's Vice Commissioner wrote to the Scottish Parliament. She replied to a letter from the Convener of the European Committee (the SNP's Christine McKelvey) for clarification. That letter said that Article 49, not 48 as claimed in the White Paper would apply. So the EU formally declared the White Paper's claim to be false.

So get it into you thick numpty head that no country can get round the EU Treaties. 

24 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

We seem to be getting a vox-pop based news segment about Brexit voting "forgotten towns" on a daily basis atm. 

I definitely have more time for Europeans in Edinburgh than the majority of voters in Hartlepool or Rhonda. The former have gone to great lengths to improve their lives and their efforts contribute to our economy and society. 

The morons on the news bumping their gums about Europe from some godforsaken social club receive no sympathy from me. 

So when did you last visit Hartlepool or Rhonda to be able to judge the voters of those towns? Those comments makes you sound like a typical elitist snob who looks down on the democratic choices of the poor working class. 

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

I hear the shopping is exciting.

FWIW, I think the whole chat around people being bargaining chips is being over played. Someone will fudge something that means everyone is allowed to stay where they are. It would be too messy and too expensive to do anything else.

This is what will happen - anybody from one member country living in another member country will just carry on as usual. After a certain date this will no longer apply and there will no longer be free movement or right to settle, I would imagine.

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

This is what will happen - anybody from one member country living in another member country will just carry on as usual. After a certain date this will no longer apply and there will no longer be free movement or right to settle, I would imagine.

This would be a Grandfather Clause.

You really are an idiotic cretin.
The EU Treaties apply in both cases. Britain is leaving under Article 50. An independent Scotland would have to apply under 49, i.e. as a new applicant and go through the full application process. The SNP claimed in 2014, that Scotland could apply under Article 48. The White Paper claimed that the EU would allow an independent join automatically on Independence Day, i.e. within 18 months of the referendum.
In March 2014, the EU's Vice Commissioner wrote to the Scottish Parliament. She replied to a letter from the Convener of the European Committee (the SNP's Christine McKelvey) for clarification. That letter said that Article 49, not 48 as claimed in the White Paper would apply. So the EU formally declared the White Paper's claim to be false.
So get it into you thick numpty head that no country can get round the EU Treaties. 

It was in the EU's interests at that time to shut down talks of Scottish entry. It almost definitely isn't this time. Again, do you seriously think EU realpolitik will be dismissed in favour of pedantically following their treaties to the letter? Did Greece and the eastern European members seriously and convincingly satisfy every entry requirement demanded by the EU?

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It was in the EU's interests at that time to shut down talks of Scottish entry. It almost definitely isn't this time. Again, do you seriously think EU realpolitik will be dismissed in favour of pedantically following their treaties to the letter? Did Greece and the eastern European members seriously and convincingly satisfy every entry requirement demanded by the EU?

That's exactly what he thinks. Pathetic really.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

If they announce the date you could have huge numbers arriving before it, if they don't it will be chaos at the borders and families separated. There are so many potential minefields ahead, human and economic. Will some Brexiteer please remind me what the gains might be? I honestly can't think of any.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If they announce the date you could have huge numbers arriving before it, if they don't it will be chaos at the borders and families separated. There are so many potential minefields ahead, human and economic. Will some Brexiteer please remind me what the gains might be? I honestly can't think of any.

Less immigrants working in our NHS and paying taxes, no EU regs to abide by that we'll abide by anyway. That's about it i think.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Yes. That is the key point.

The Treaties are the legal framework that determines how the EU functions. They are enforces by the European Courts. This is the consolidated version of the Treaties - https://www.ecb.europa.eu/ecb/legal/pdf/c_32620121026en.pdf. The Treaties cannot be ignored or to suit the interests of a particular new applicant. 

Those new applicants went through the process set out in the Treaties which applied at that time. The Lisbon Treaty, which is being applied to Brexit and also applies to new entrants, tightened up the process. The Greek experience will only ensure that new applications are subjected to even more rigorous scrutiny, especially in relation to financial sustainability.  

Any amendments to the Treaties require the unanimous agreement of all Member States. In some Member States (e.g. Ireland), significant amendments would require several Member States to hold referendums before approval could be granted.