Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

It's called sarcasm, i'm sure I've heard plenty of UK politicians saying we'll be out the UK single market though :lol:

In practice, an independent Scotland would have a much more complicated negotiation than Brexit if it voted to leave the UK. It would have to create its own regulatory bodies and government agencies to replace their British equivalents. It would need management contracts etc to ensure continuity in the short-term. The 2014 White Paper said that it, including the currency union, could all be done and implemented (plus securing EU membership) within 18 months! :lol:

Edited by Bishop Briggs

5 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Spot on. Free trade agreements are, in practice, managed trade agreements. They negotiated by politicians and managed by bureaucrats. 

On importing from New Zealand, the same argument can be made for all imports and trade with other countries. Do we need to import butter from Denmark (Lurpak) or Ireland (Kerrygold)? We don't need to but we consumers want them. 

It's the same with beer, e.g. Beck's, Peroni, Kilkenny and Guinness. A significant number Scottish consumers prefer them to Tennant's and McEwan's. It's the same with whiskey (e.g. Bushmills and Jack Daniels), cars, electrical goods etc. 

The alternative is economic nationalism - trade restrictions through tariffs, quotas or bans. It has a big price - major restrictions on freedom of choice. You have to but what the politicians tell you to buy, even if it's rubbish.

Do you only buy Scottish, British or European products? If not, what would you be willing to give up? Would you vote for politicians who would force you to give them up or raise their prices through tariffs?

Decent post.

Of course I dinnae just buy Scottish products but what I dinnae understand is how

some folk prefer tae buy foreign produced bottled water when we have plenty of

our ain home brew.

I myself cannae see past Highland Spring water bottled in Perthshire.

I like tae think that I'm helping tae keep jobs in Scotland.

Also Simon Howie & Morrisons have decent Scottish lamb chops.

Nae need tae go tae NZ.

As for butter, I'm a marg man and always have been.

But I get your point.

15 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Decent post.

Of course I dinnae just buy Scottish products but what I dinnae understand is how

some folk prefer tae buy foreign produced bottled water when we have plenty of

our ain home brew.

I myself cannae see past Highland Spring water bottled in Perthshire.

I like tae think that I'm helping tae keep jobs in Scotland.

Also Simon Howie & Morrisons have decent Scottish lamb chops.

Nae need tae go tae NZ.

As for butter, I'm a marg man and always have been.

But I get your point.

^ My tastes are similar to yours. I tend to buy Scottish first, British and Irish second, European third. As well as supporting our businesses and workers, it's good for the environment. 

15 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Then what?

Scotland part of the EU, the Euro and a hard border with passport control between Scotland and England. 

They've already started building the wall between northern and southern Ireland.

11 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Then what?

Scotland part of the EU, the Euro and a hard border with passport control between Scotland and England. 

:lol:

Rebuild Hadrians Wall and put snipers on it. Obviously.

In reality of course, that won't happen and very little will change as far at the Scotland/England border goes regardless of the outcome of Brexit and any independence referenda.

For me the ideal scenario would be Scotland outside of both the UK and EU, and able to make decisions and deals suited to it's own needs. Scotland should be encouraging immigration and should have policies in place that support and encourage people to buy locally made produce wherever possible.

If we have a hard brexit and an independent Scotland part of the EU and England are doing their best to keep the foreigners entering their country at their borders it would be stupid to leave the back door open and let the foreigners come in through Scotland. They would need to close the door, passport control, a real border. 

25 minutes ago, Ross. said:

:lol:

In reality of course, that won't happen and very little will change as far at the Scotland/England border goes regardless of the outcome of Brexit and any independence referenda.

For me the ideal scenario would be Scotland outside of both the UK and EU, and able to make decisions and deals suited to it's own needs. Scotland should be encouraging immigration and should have policies in place that support and encourage people to buy locally made produce wherever possible.

Depends which way they're facing. Obviously.

encourage people to buy locally made produce wherever possible.

I would hope people would buy local (Scottish) without the need for encouragement.

6 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Depends which way they're facing. Obviously.

encourage people to buy locally made produce wherever possible.

I would hope people would buy local (Scottish) without the need for encouragement.

We could perhaps have a no mans land in between. I'd suggest a wall at each side with a 100m gap and a series of obstacles to get past for any would be invaders/deserters. People could buy raffle tickets and win the chance to man the turrets for the day.

Regards the bolded bit, people who can afford to might buy local produce without the need for encouragement. People on low incomes will be more likely to buy whatever is affordable, which isn't always local. I'm sure there would be creative solutions that meant local produce is more affordable, whether that is via tax breaks on sales within a radius of the point of production or dependent on the number of locals employed by the producer. No doubt there are other things that could be done to encourage production on a larger scale, which would hopefully also bring down overall costs.

Edited by Ross.

8 minutes ago, Ross. said:

We could perhaps have a no mans land in between. I'd suggest a wall at each side with a 100m gap and a series of obstacles to get past for any would be invaders/deserters. People could buy raffle tickets and win the chance to man the turrets for the day.

Regards the bolded bit, people who can afford to might buy local produce without the need for encouragement. People on low incomes will be more likely to buy whatever is affordable, which isn't always local. I'm sure there would be creative solutions that meant local produce is more affordable, whether that is via tax breaks on sales within a radius of the point of production or dependent on the number of locals employed by the producer. No doubt there are other things that could be done to encourage production on a larger scale, which would hopefully also bring down overall costs.

Define "locals".

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Fair do's but I said in an earlier post that I buy Scottish bottled water.

If you're at the supermarket and you see Scottish bottled water and lets say Volvic.

Why would anyone buy Volvic instead of our ain water?

Similarly if you're at the meat counter and you have a choice of Scottish or NZ lamb chops.

Why would you buy the NZ ones?

Of course it's never as simple as that all the time but my point still stands.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Define "locals".

For me it would be people resident within a certain distance of the place that is producing the goods.

Just now, Wee Willie said:

Fair do's but I said in an earlier post that I buy Scottish bottled water.

If you're at the supermarket and you see Scottish bottled water and lets say Volvic.

Why would anyone buy Volvic instead of our ain water?

Similarly if you're at the meat counter and you have a choice of Scottish or NZ lamb chops.

Why would you buy the NZ ones?

Of course it's never as simple as that all the time but my point still stands.

Depends really. When I lived in Scotland I almost never bought bottled water so on the odd occasion I did I would grab whatever was cheapest.

If I was buying fresh produce I would always try to buy something that originated in Scotland. Not everyone is like that or can afford to do that.