Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

In much the same way that UKIP ceased to exist once the UK voted to leave the EU.
After independence, the SNP would continue to exist to ensure that it was not some watered down semi-independence.
Can you name any country that gained independence where the leader of the ruling party then said:
"Job done.  My opponents can run the country now - I am away fishing."

"You and an army 50,000 strong will march on Rome, and then simply give it back to the people" ??

There have been threads on here previously where what the political party situation would look like in an independent Scotland were discussed.

The posts made far more sense than some of the nonsense spouted on here.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There have been threads on here previously where what the political party situation would look like in an independent Scotland were discussed.

The posts made far more sense than some of the nonsense spouted on here.

How old were these threads and are they relevant?

37 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Is that yes you know the question, yes they are still relevant or yes we have no bananas?

I don't think you understand how questions work.

2 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

How old were these threads and are they relevant?

This is a question.

1 hour ago, AUFC90 said:

They were during the last referendum and didn't have as many unionist trolls so yes.....pretty relevant.

This is an answer.

48 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

I take it you know I'm asking if they're relevant now?

This another question.

44 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Yes.

And this is an answer.

Of course the threads are still relevant, we are still not independent and have the same political parties, almost the same policies and apart from the newer breed of unionist trolls, basically the same posters.

22 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Of course the threads are still relevant, we are still not independent and have the same political parties, almost the same policies and apart from the newer breed of unionist trolls, basically the same posters.

I think you're missing the point, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Labour in Scotland are now in 3rd place and we are leaving the EU. If a week is a long time in politics then 2 and a half years is an age and in another 18 months who knows where we will be.

Edited by kirkyblue2

2 hours ago, kirkyblue2 said:

I think you're missing the point, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Labour in Scotland are now in 3rd place and we are leaving the EU. If a week is a long time in politics then 2 and a half years is an age and in another 18 months who knows where we will be.

I'm not missing any point. Threads about what will happen to political parties after independence are relevant. We still have the same parties and independence hasn't happened. My view is the SNP will ride the crest of a wave for a couple of terms and then people will naturally start voting for parties more in tune with their politics and the SNP will become less and less powerful. I wouldn't vote for them after independence but right now I'll vote for them until it's achieved. I suspect there's a lot of people like that. It's something the more vocal SNP haters on the unionist side will never understand and it's pretty hilarious. 

13 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

I'm not missing any point. Threads about what will happen to political parties after independence are relevant. We still have the same parties and independence hasn't happened. My view is the SNP will ride the crest of a wave for a couple of terms and then people will naturally start voting for parties more in tune with their politics and the SNP will become less and less powerful. I wouldn't vote for them after independence but right now I'll vote for them until it's achieved. I suspect there's a lot of people like that. It's something the more vocal SNP haters on the unionist side will never understand and it's pretty hilarious. 

Even SNP supporting friends don't always understand when I say that I look forward to voting for another partyat some point in the future. It's a foregone coclusion that the party will split sooner or later after the primary objective is acheived, and I'll end up voting for a left-wing/centre left successor.

21 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Even SNP supporting friends don't always understand when I say that I look forward to voting for another partyat some point in the future. It's a foregone coclusion that the party will split sooner or later after the primary objective is acheived, and I'll end up voting for a left-wing/centre left successor.

I would hope for the emergence of a new centre right party. For the sake of political balance it is needed.

I'm fairly certain that a lot of SNP elected politicians disagree with each other on a broad range of things, once independence is achieved these divisions will come to the fore.  I trust for the sake of the country it is done in a positive and collegiate way.

Im sure there will be a bit of a power struggle over the SNP brand but the best option would be for it to be abandoned.  Whatever the reality of Labour the perception for decades was that it was a left of centre party and Scots voted for that in their droves.  I would like to think that left of centre values and policies will gain favour in an independent Scotland.

Whatever else happens Toryism will never grow much past its recent popularity in the country.  Thank fuck.